Let's create a language!

A forum where anything goes. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. This is the forum for "non-academic" content.
BokaBB

Let's create a language!

Post by BokaBB » October 7th, 2020, 11:44 am

This is going to be a group building site of a new language. We will together create an absolutely new language here by the following principles:
- Everyone will add small bits of vocabulary,grammar and similar.
- Everyone interested can contribute.
- The grammar or vocabulary can be changed if I allow so.
- It will have no official name unless I say so.
- It will be written using Latin alphabet (with the possibility of removing or adding new letters) phonetically if possible.
- After it has got a large enough amount of grammar and vocabulary some volunteer (I have to much things to do now) will write a big dictionary and grammar of it here. I will only do that if I have time,which I often don't have.
Let's begin contributing.
At the beginning I will only contribute that there will be no articles (like the or a) since I find them unnecessary.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Last edited by BokaBB on October 9th, 2020, 5:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB

wzkchem5

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by wzkchem5 » October 7th, 2020, 9:29 pm

BokaBB wrote:
October 7th, 2020, 11:44 am
This is going to be a group building site of a new language. We will together create an absolutely new language here by the following principles:
- Once added,the grammar or vocabulary cannot be changed unless I allow so.
- It will be written using Latin alphabet (with the possibility of removing or adding new letters) phonetically if possible.
- After it has got a large enough amount of grammar and vocabulary some volunteer (I have to much things to do now) will write a big dictionary and grammar of it here. I will only do that if I have time,which I often don't have.
At the beginning I will only contribute that there will be no articles (like the or a) since I find them unnecessary.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Let's start with numbers and pronouns.

1: dup (the sound of a single piece of stone dropping to the ground)
2: klap (the sound of two pieces of stone hitting each other)
3: krush (the sound of holding three pieces of stone in the hand and rubbing them with each other)
4: o'dugwit (o' = the sound one produces when not finding something. dugwit = dup+gwit; when two of {p,t,k,b,d,g} are consecutive, the first one is dropped because otherwise its sound can hardly be heard. So o'dugwit = 5-1 = 4)
5: gwit (the sound of a foot stepping on mud. A foot symbols five; a hand can do the same job but there isn't a sound that is very characteristic of a single hand)
6: gwidup
7: gwiklap
8: gwikrush
9: o'dupwop
10: pwop (the sound of clapping hands)
11: pwop dup
13: pwop krush
20: klap pwop
25: klap pwop gwit
100: hwa (the sound standing for surprise, when one sees a large number of the same thing)
101: hwa dup
168: hwa gwidup pwop gwikrush
949: o'dupwop hwa o'dugwit pwop o'dupwop
1000: woa (the sound of an even bigger surprise)
2020: klap woa klap pwop
5000: gwit woa
10000: pwop woa
1000000: woa woa

I/me: ngong (since the sound is produced from the "back", deep in the throat, which is ideal for self-reference)
You (single): shyu (since this sound produces a stream of air towards the front, which is ideal for referring to someone in front of you)
He/him/she/her: pwia (which is one of the sounds easily pronounced when you drag your lower lip sideways, ideal for referring to someone beside you. And I want the language to be absolutely gender-neutral, which avoids a number of problems)
We/us: ngong klap
You (plural): shyu klap
They/them: pwia klap
The Red Phoenix, The Yellow Phoenix, The Pink Phoenix And The Multicolored Phoenix

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » October 8th, 2020, 7:59 am

wzkchem5 wrote:
October 7th, 2020, 9:29 pm
BokaBB wrote:
- Once added,the grammar or vocabulary cannot be changed unless I allow so.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Let's start with numbers and pronouns.

1: dup (the sound of a single piece of stone dropping to the ground)
2: klap (the sound of two pieces of stone hitting each other)
3: krush (the sound of holding three pieces of stone in the hand and rubbing them with each other)
4: o'dugwit (o' = the sound one produces when not finding something. dugwit = dup+gwit; when two of {p,t,k,b,d,g} are consecutive, the first one is dropped because otherwise its sound can hardly be heard. So o'dugwit = 5-1 = 4)
5: gwit (the sound of a foot stepping on mud. A foot symbols five; a hand can do the same job but there isn't a sound that is very characteristic of a single hand)
6: gwidup
7: gwiklap
8: gwikrush
9: o'dupwop
10: pwop (the sound of clapping hands)
11: pwop dup
13: pwop krush
20: klap pwop
25: klap pwop gwit
100: hwa (the sound standing for surprise, when one sees a large number of the same thing)
101: hwa dup
168: hwa gwidup pwop gwikrush
949: o'dupwop hwa o'dugwit pwop o'dupwop
1000: woa (the sound of an even bigger surprise)
2020: klap woa klap pwop
5000: gwit woa
10000: pwop woa
1000000: woa woa

I/me: ngong (since the sound is produced from the "back", deep in the throat, which is ideal for self-reference)
You (single): shyu (since this sound produces a stream of air towards the front, which is ideal for referring to someone in front of you)
He/him/she/her: pwia (which is one of the sounds easily pronounced when you drag your lower lip sideways, ideal for referring to someone beside you. And I want the language to be absolutely gender-neutral, which avoids a number of problems)
We/us: ngong klap
You (plural): shyu klap
They/them: pwia klap
Nice, altrough a bit different style than I expected.
We need more creators!
My wish is to have minimal impact on this language.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Have a good day!

BokaBB

Saka

Post by Saka » October 9th, 2020, 4:15 am

Hold on here, before we start creating words, we need to determine what sounds we want in our language i.e. our language's phonemic inventory. The best way to do this is using the International Phonetic Alphabet. We also need to agree on what letters should represent which sounds. Are diacritics allowed?

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » October 9th, 2020, 5:10 am

Saka wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 4:15 am
Hold on here, before we start creating words, we need to determine what sounds we want in our language i.e. our language's phonemic inventory. The best way to do this is using the International Phonetic Alphabet. We also need to agree on what letters should represent which sounds. Are diacritics allowed?
I know about that.
English language speakers aren't well concerned about the phonetic pronunciation unlike me,who is a native speaker of the Serbian language where everything is phonetical.
I want everything to be phonetical and want easily pronouncable sounds. Diacritics are allowed if the sounds are easily pronouncable as well, altrough I suspect we could use repeating of the letters instead.
I have noticed something bad in Waceeghe and I don't want it here:the words and the opposite - meaning words have no similarity at all. I propose you to reform that.
You are allowed to propose reform in the numbers and pronouns if you wish.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Have a good day!

BokaBB

yujh
Location: I'm not sure where I am, so please tell me if you know

Post by yujh » October 9th, 2020, 5:30 am

BokaBB wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 5:10 am
Saka wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 4:15 am
I know about that.
English language speakers aren't well concerned about the phonetic pronunciation unlike me,who is a native speaker of the Serbian language where everything is phonetical.
I want everything to be phonetical and want easily pronouncable sounds. Diacritics are allowed if the sounds are easily pronouncable as well, altrough I suspect we could use repeating of the letters instead.
I have noticed something bad in Waceeghe and I don't want it here:the words and the opposite - meaning words have no similarity at all. I propose you to reform that.
You are allowed to propose reform in the numbers and pronouns if you wish.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
I think wzkchem5 speak(s) Chinese?
Proofsearch.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&auth ... 0&start=50

Edit: Sth related?

Code: Select all

https://www.internationalphoneticassociation.org/IPAcharts/IPA_chart_orig/IPA_charts_E.html
Last edited by yujh on October 9th, 2020, 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rule modifier

B34kz5e7c8/S23-a4ityz5k
b2n3-q5y6cn7s23-k4c8
B3-kq6cn8/S2-i3-a4ciyz8
B3-kq4z5e7c8/S2-ci3-a4ciq5ek6eik7

Bored of Conway's Game of Life? Try Pedestrian Life -- not pedestrian at all!

Saka

Post by Saka » October 9th, 2020, 5:59 am

BokaBB wrote:
I wont. Waceeghe has a negation particle, like in most (all?) languages (for example: "not good" -> "tho lei"). However most, or all, natural languages have words that seem to bear no resemblance to each other even if they have similar or opposite meanings like you describe. Waceeghe is supposed to be a natural language within a conworld of mine.
I want everything to be phonetical and want easily pronouncable sounds.
That's pretty subjective. I am fine with ejective consonants but you may not be, and someone else might be able to pronounce [ʟ], the velar lateral approximant, easily, while I have a hard time pronouncing it.

I suppose you want sounds that are common cross-linguistically?

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » October 9th, 2020, 6:20 am

Saka wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 5:59 am
BokaBB wrote:
I wont. Waceeghe has a negation particle, like in most (all?) languages (for example: "not good" -> "tho lei"). However most, or all, natural languages have words that seem to bear no resemblance to each other even if they have similar or opposite meanings like you describe. Waceeghe is supposed to be a natural language within a conworld of mine.
I want everything to be phonetical and want easily pronouncable sounds.
That's pretty subjective. I am fine with ejective consonants but you may not be, and someone else might be able to pronounce [ʟ], the velar lateral approximant, easily, while I have a hard time pronouncing it.

I suppose you want sounds that are common cross-linguistically?
Phonetic is the best option if you ask me.
I can allow ejective consonants,just not something like clicks.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Have a good day!

BokaBB

Moosey

Post by Moosey » October 9th, 2020, 7:16 am

BokaBB wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 6:20 am

Have a good day!

BokaBB
wait, "fine with phonetic" just literally means "fine with any sound" (including clicks"). If you meant pulmonic, then you'll have to leave out ejectives
not active here but active on discord

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » October 9th, 2020, 7:43 am

Only those that are hard to say.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Have a good day!

BokaBB

Moosey

Post by Moosey » October 9th, 2020, 7:46 am

BokaBB wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 7:43 am
Have a good day!

BokaBB
once again, "hard to say" is subjective. There are languages where clicks are used a lot; speakers of those probably wouldn't consider them hard to say. Also, if you're well enough versed in ipa, there are a lot of sounds which are easy for you to say-- I can do a dental click pretty well.
not active here but active on discord

Schiaparelliorbust

Post by Schiaparelliorbust » October 9th, 2020, 7:51 am

I think that common words like yes, no, but, now should have no more than two syllables.
BokaBB wrote:
How would that work? I'm bilingual, I speak Turkish too, and in it we don't have "the" but we do have a suffix meaning it. "Give me water" and "Give me the water" have different meanings. We also don't have "a" but we do, like many languages (French, German), use "one" instead.\

Edit:
Moosey wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 7:46 am
BokaBB wrote:
Have a good day!

BokaBB
once again, "hard to say" is subjective. There are languages where clicks are used a lot; speakers of those probably wouldn't consider them hard to say. Also, if you're well enough versed in ipa, there are a lot of sounds which are easy for you to say-- I can do a dental click pretty well.
Some sounds can be very hard to distinguish though. "x" and "h", "ɡʟ̝" and "kʟ̝̊" sound similar.
Last edited by Schiaparelliorbust on October 9th, 2020, 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » October 9th, 2020, 8:03 am

Serbian,Chinese, Russian have no articles and we speak our languages well without problems.
I mean those soundd that are hard for an average European. Also,I am not into those that sound similar. This may be subjective,but it will make the language easier.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Have a good day!

BokaBB

Schiaparelliorbust

Post by Schiaparelliorbust » October 9th, 2020, 8:06 am

BokaBB wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 8:03 am
Serbian,Chinese, Russian have no articles and we speak our languages well without problems.
I mean those soundd that are hard for an average European.
Have a good day!

BokaBBB
So can you distinguish between the examples I gave above?
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » October 9th, 2020, 8:09 am

Schiaparelliorbust wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 8:06 am
BokaBB wrote:
Have a good day!

BokaBBB
I can distinguish the second pair.
I am a native speaker of Serbian and we don't distinguish h and x as those from IPA. English X sounds like ks to us.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Have a good day!

BokaBB

Schiaparelliorbust

Post by Schiaparelliorbust » October 9th, 2020, 8:12 am

BokaBB wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 8:09 am
October 9th, 2020, 8:06 am
BokaBB wrote:
Have a good day!

BokaBBB
I can distinguish the second pair.
I am a native speaker of Serbian and we don't distinguish h and x. English X sounds like ks to us.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Is there a distinction between the two in Serbian? Also, I used IPA symbols not regular letters so "x" sounds like h as in "hat".

Edit: By "examples" I meant the ones about "the".
Last edited by Schiaparelliorbust on October 9th, 2020, 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » October 9th, 2020, 8:14 am

No. You can say either and will be understood. Me used IPA too.
Please read my story at the Writing Club. That is how I hear English.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Have a good day!

BokaBB

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » October 9th, 2020, 8:17 am

October 9th, 2020, 7:51 am
I think that common words like yes, no, but, now should have no more than two syllables.
BokaBB wrote:
How would that work? I'm bilingual, I speak Turkish too, and in it we don't have "the" but we do have a suffix meaning it. "Give me water" and "Give me the water" have different meanings. We also don't have "a" but we do, like many languages (French, German), use "one" instead.\

Edit:
Moosey wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 7:46 am
BokaBB wrote:
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Some sounds can be very hard to distinguish though. "x" and "h", "ɡʟ̝" and "kʟ̝̊" sound similar.
We also can use our word for one the same way, altrough we rarely do so.
I can pronouce something click - like, altrough I don't distinguish different clicks.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Have a good day!

BokaBB

Schiaparelliorbust

Post by Schiaparelliorbust » October 9th, 2020, 8:19 am

We have to determine the structure of the language: Is it agglutinative? Were does the verb go in a sentence? What sort of prefixes or suffixes are there? The last one might seem like a trivial question to ask but for example, in French there's no possessive suffix like "the car's window". It's instead "the window of the car".
Edit: Look at my edit above
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » October 9th, 2020, 8:24 am

wzchem5's work is probably not too suitable for a modern language (it sounds like caveman's language).
I would like SVO order.
The rest others should decide. At the end,I want this to be a combined project where everyone has left something.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Have a good day!

BokaBB

Schiaparelliorbust

Post by Schiaparelliorbust » October 9th, 2020, 8:30 am

BokaBB wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 8:24 am
wzchem5's work is probably not too suitable for a modern language (it sounds like caveman's language).
I would like SVO order.
The rest others should decide. At the end,I want this to be a combined project where everyone has left something.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Well wzkchem5 mostly made onomatopoeia words and the pronouns sound good to me. I think the language should be more agglutinative than English but not as much as Turkish or Hungarian.

Edit: I didn't see they stood for numbers but I think it's still good because many languages have things like that. I think I once heard that hand and five are the same word in Indonesian.
Last edited by Schiaparelliorbust on October 9th, 2020, 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » October 9th, 2020, 8:32 am

October 9th, 2020, 8:30 am
BokaBB wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 8:24 am
I would like SVO order.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Well wzkchem5 mostly made onomatopoeia words and the pronouns sound good to me. I think the language should be more agglutinative than English but not as much as Turkish or Hungarian.
Yes,I agree.
Pronouns we can maybe accept, altrough we should change those for plural.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Have a good day!

BokaBB

Schiaparelliorbust

Post by Schiaparelliorbust » October 9th, 2020, 8:39 am

Okay for starters possession should definitely be a suffix. Maybe it could change according to the vowel(s) or consonant(s) before or possessor as in Turkish. Tenses should also be suffixes.
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » October 9th, 2020, 8:41 am

Agree all by the way.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Have a good day!

BokaBB

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » October 9th, 2020, 8:58 am

Moosey wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 7:16 am
BokaBB wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 6:20 am

Have a good day!

BokaBB
wait, "fine with phonetic" just literally means "fine with any sound" (including clicks"). If you meant pulmonic, then you'll have to leave out ejectives
I meant one sound,one letter principle. It is present in Serbian but not in English.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Have a good day!

BokaBB