User talk:Old Entity Valkyrie 2
It's good to have a nice clean user talk page for EV2. If the old user page is ever needed for reference, it ended up at User_talk:Entity_Valkyrie_1. Welcome back, and good luck! Dvgrn (talk) 16:26, 2 October 2019 (UTC)
Output orientation T
I'm still confused about what the "Turned" option for conduits is actually supposed to mean. I skimmed over this tiki bar discussion from last year, but I still don't understand why for example PT38P doesn't use the more specific "L" instead of "T". Ian07 (talk) 02:35, 3 October 2019 (UTC)
- I think I understand this now; it doesn't really matter which way it's turned because with symmetric inputs you can just flip the conduit, and according to Kazyan on Discord this is in fact well-established terminology. Ian07 (talk) 02:52, 3 October 2019 (UTC)
- "L" doesn't make anything more specific, since you can flip the conduit without changing either the location or the orientation of the first pi, and it all of a sudden becomes "PR38P" instead of "PL38P". The T is only used for input Pi or other symmetrical input.
The two conduits on the left are two Tanner's p46s, just mirror images. However, this is what happens if we try to name the conduits without the usage of T:
- The first oscillator consists of a PL38P and PR8P
- The second oscillator consists of a PR38P and PL8P
Unexplained removal of objects in RLEs
I noticed that in these two edits:   you removed some objects from the respective RLEs which as far as I can tell are useful for the article (e.g. the twit eater in Bx222). I know this has probably already been asked of you several times, but please get in the habit of using the edit summary more often when you make potentially controversial changes like this, to explain your justification for removing these things. Especially in the case of editing RLEs, where it's hard to tell what's actually changed just by looking at it, so you need to open both the previous and current versions in Golly to find out. Ian07 (talk) 15:11, 4 October 2019 (UTC)
- P.S. I finally found the stray < symbol in the conduit infobox template. However, I tried to fix the conduit info not appearing for edge shooters (Fx119 inserter) but failed to do so. Ian07 (talk) 15:15, 4 October 2019 (UTC)
- The "torus" edit was to fix a bug that the pattern is 2 steps away from the top, and directly sticking to the bottom. I fixed this by changing the size of that pattern from 100x100 to 98x98. The problem was hard to notice. But I'm just bad at making pages, and better at messing them up. (self-proclaimed) Entity Valkyrie 2 (talk) 21:29, 4 October 2019 (UTC)
- I see what you mean, though the edit you just made ended up breaking the RLE entirely due to lack of newlines so I had to revert it. Unfortunately I'm not sure what to do about this, since it looks like LifeViewer actually interprets bounded grid RLEs differently compared to Golly.
- Also remember that the best way to improve the quality of your edits is to listen to the advice of other editors so you know which mistakes to avoid. Complaining that you're just "bad at making pages" isn't going to help anything, and again you've already made plenty of great contributions in your time here, albeit with some cleanup required. Ian07 (talk) 21:46, 4 October 2019 (UTC)
Bx222 edit issue
I based off the "eater removal" off F171, where an eater was removed over 1 year ago with the logic "the eater is not mandatory". Which of the two following is correct?
1. The eater should be left out the infobox, and the text should say when an eater is needed.
2. The eater should be in the infobox, and the text should say when an eater can be left out.
Question: where exactly have you seen 68P32.1 used to make a p160 gun? I'm asking this because I'd like to add a LifeViewer to these pages demonstrating it but I can't find the actual gun and I can't figure out how to make it myself. Ian07 (talk) 22:47, 6 October 2019 (UTC)
A quote from the page of Period-20 glider gun:
"Filtering the output of the gun with a blocker yields the smallest known period-40 glider gun, beating the eponymous period-40 glider gun at its own game. The further addition of Rich's p16 doubles the period again, resulting in the smallest known period-80 gun, and adding 68P32.1 on top of that doubles the period once more to 160."
I think they are referring to this gun:
Also, is this blueprint notable enough for the page RRO?
Removing trusted flag again
I'm really sorry for doing this, because I understand that you really do mean well and want to contribute to the wiki. However, I've found that you're still making the same mistakes as you did on your original account. Ever since you got back the trusted flag I've had to go out of my way to clean up your edits, whether by fixing typos/grammatical issues or by reverting information that as far as I can tell at least really isn't useful for anything and just bloats the article with miscellaneous trivia. Meanwhile, the fact that you have a tendency to not use the edit summary further obscures the purpose of these edits. You've consistently been making several edits per day and while a lot of them are constructive overall, it's still far too much for me to keep up with and it's clear that no one else wants to step up to the task of reviewing them. Having said that, I'd be willing to allow you to have it back if there were more people checking the recent changes or if you show that you plan to change your habits.