This week's featured article
|Tanner's p46 is a period-46 oscillator that was found by Tanner Jacobi in 2017 involving a pi running a small conduit. Mark Niemiec posted a 19-glider synthesis two hours after its discovery. Various guns can be constructed by combining two of the oscillators themselves, one of which produces middleweight spaceships without any gliders required.
In the news
- September 27: A burloaferimeter variant appears in an asymmetric soup found by Rob Liston, making it the first natural period-7 oscillator.
- September 26: Pavel Grankovskiy completes Speed Demonoid version 2, removing the 2c/9 limitation; a Golly script can now build a spaceship with any rational diagonal speed below c/4 (subject to some practical size limitations).
- September 19: MathAndCode and Adam P. Goucher construct a 17-glider reverse caber-tosser, proving that all synthesizable patterns can be made with no more than 17 gliders and that all synthesizable still lifes can be constructed with no more than one glider per bit.
- September 19: Goldtiger997 synthesizes 55P9H3V0, the first period-9 spaceship to be synthesized.
- September 18: Pavel Grankovskiy constructs a complete Speed Demonoid, using double crabstretchers to accelerate a self-constructing spaceship to 3492022/17833792=1746011/8916896 ≈ 0.1958c, very close to c/5. The new spaceship can be adjusted to match any rational speed slower than 2c/9.
- September 15: wwei23 discovers several new 3-engine Corderships, including one that cleans up its trailing blocks with sideways gliders, similar to a 5-, 6-, or 7-in-a-row Cordership.
- September 9-17: wwei23 assembles a new type of period-192 4-in-a-row Cordership, and later constructs glider-to-Cordership and Cordership-to-glider converters for it.
|The LifeWiki contains one of the most comprehensive catalogues of patterns available on the internet. Within it you will find: