User:Saka/Dictionary of obscure terms
Here lies the Dictionary of Obscure Terms (DoOT), a Dictionary of CA terms that may not be known to all CAenthusiasts yet.
These words come from the create your own terminology thread, myself, the submissions section below, and my observation of other user's posts.
Info (I am aware there is a better word for this but I don't know what it is):
Terms will be bold, in parentheses will be what type of word it is (adj, noun, verb) along with some additional information. An "a" means that the word is an acronym.
- AbhpzTa (verb, humorous): To create an impressive spaceship made of puffers or rakes.
- Agaric (adj): A rule in which patterns should be run inside certain agars.
- Agnostic (adj): Of a transition, the pattern works either with or without the transition. Example: "This spaceship is B1e Agnostic"
- Cloud (noun): An exploding pattern that explodes chaotically and not into a certain shape.
- Corderoid (noun): Any spaceship based off of a puffer or unstable moving pattern.
- Counterfeit (adj): A spaceship that appears to be a certain ship in a certain phase but is in fact different.
- Colliding Rule (noun): A rule that explodes not because of explosions but because of common collisions between objects.
- Emu (noun): A spaceship that creates sparks similar to that of other spaceships. (Note: This word is already in use - see Emu. Try using "Emulator spaceship" instead.)
- Endemic (adj): The attribute of an object that states that it only exists in 1 rule.
- Gosperize (verb): To combine oscillators/oscillator components to make a gun.
- Hiver (noun): A spaceship that pushes hives. Like a Loafer, but with hives.
- Lick (noun): An "eating" reaction that does not destroy either objects as in Unix. Compare with Hassle.
- Moving still life (noun): A moving object that consists of a wickstretcher and a backend that eats the wick.
- MTCC (noun,a): Initialization of "My Typical Crummy Contribution". When a person really wants to contribute to a rule, but they can't find much.
- Pseudocorder (noun): A spaceship that looks like an explosion.
- Relativistic (adj): Any spaceship with speed between c/2 and c, including knightships (and B0 diagonal ships).
- SMOS (noun, a): A spaceship which is made up of other spaceships.
- Spinner (noun): A periodic object that moves by spinning.
- Superstable (adj): A pattern that appears to explode but is in fact stable.
- Saturated (adj): Of a still pattern, adding any more cells around it will kill at least one cell of the still pattern.
- Tc (adj): Orthogonal c.
- Translucent (adj): Similar to a transparent oscillator, but the phase gets changed after restoration.
- Tower (noun): A large vertical spaceship such as Caterpillar.
- Weightship (noun): Any of the LWSS, MWSS, or HWSS.
- Xc (adj): Diagonal c.
- @: Shorthand for specifying a speed. Example: "Some ships of various periods @ c/2o"
To submit your own words, edit the section below:
- MTCC (noun,a): Initialization of "My Typical Crummy Contribution". The 2-glider collision table running in an OCA rule.
- Fake RRO (noun,a): A lone-engine rotating oscillator of loopability 1.