Period-59 glider gun
|Period-59 glider gun|
|View static image|
|Number of cells||167863|
|Discovered by|| Adam P. Goucher|
|Year of discovery||2009|
Period-59 glider gun is the first true period 59 gun, discovered by Adam P. Goucher on December 3, 2009. Jason Summers helped by providing a period-59 five glider to six glider reaction and also a 180 degree reflector reaction.
The core of the gun is the 5-to-6 reaction (an over-unity reaction), composed of two copies of a mechanism hassling two pi-heptominoes, in a fashion reminescent of the p44 pi-heptomino hassler. Of the 11 glider streams linked to this:
- Two link together via a 180° reflection off a p59 oscillator.
- Four are pairwise linked to a single copy of the basic mechanism. This functions as a two-to-two glider reflection reaction on its own, rerouting two parallel glider streams (one incoming, one outgoing) into two sideways ones.
- Four of the core streams are redirected using 90° reflections off further p59 oscillators (and some tertiary pairs of reactors) and to link with the four streams from the secondary reactors.
- This leaves one output stream.
The discovery of the Snark in 2013 enabled Dave Greene to build a much smaller variant with a bounding box of 405×355. Entity Valkyrie reduced this to 327×227 in October 2018— a slightly optimized 293×218 version of that gun is displayed below.
- Adam P. Goucher (December 3, 2009). Re: New p59 oscillators (discussion thread) at the ConwayLife.com forums
- Jason Summers (December 2, 2009). Re: New p59 oscillators (discussion thread) at the ConwayLife.com forums
- Dave Greene (April 28, 2013). Re: Just the place for a Snark! (discussion thread) at the ConwayLife.com forums
- Entity Valkyrie (October 5, 2018). Re: Gun Discussion Thread (discussion thread) at the ConwayLife.com forums