|View animated image|
|View static image|
|Number of cells||12|
|Discovered by||Achim Flammenkamp|
|Year of discovery||1988|
Mold was found by Achim Flammenkamp in 1988, but not widely known until Dean Hickerson rediscovered it (and named it) in August 1989; compare with jam. In terms of its minimum population of 12 it ties with mazing as the smallest period-4 oscillator, but in terms of its 6×6 bounding box it wins outright. In fact, of all oscillators that fit in a 6×7 box it is the only one with period greater than 2. Its spark can support other patterns, such as "Butter".
It has a similar rotor to mazing.
Mold is the twelfth most common naturally-occurring oscillator in Achim Flammenkamp's census, being less common than the spark coil but more common than the quadpole on ship. On Catagolue, it is the most common period 4 oscillator, being more common than mazing.
- Dean Hickerson's oscillator stamp collection. Retrieved on March 14, 2020.
- Entity Valkyrie (February 26, 2019). Re: Oscillator Discussion Thread (discussion thread) at the ConwayLife.com forums
- Achim Flammenkamp (September 7, 2004). "Most seen natural occurring ash objects in Game of Life". Retrieved on January 15, 2009.
- Adam P. Goucher. "Census". Catagolue. Retrieved on October 27, 2018.
- 12P4.1 at Heinrich Koenig's Game of Life Object Catalogs