This week's featured article
|Simkin glider gun is a glider gun, found by Michael Simkin on April 28, 2015. It consists of a Herschel running in two period-60 conduits, producing infinite copies of the first natural glider. In terms of its single-barreled form it is the smallest known gun, with 36 cells, sharing the record with the Gosper glider gun. In its pseudo-period, boat-bit form and its double-barrelled form it is the absolute record holder, with 35 and 29 cells respectively.
In the news
- November 29: Pavel Grankovskiy completes "DOGun SaGaQR", a "shapeshifting" pattern that can be adjusted to become a diehard, high-period volatility 1 oscillator, 4-barrelled glider gun, c/24 spaceship, single glider, or quadratic growth replicator.
- November 28: Luka Okanishi and Tanner Jacobi construct the first true-period glider guns of periods 51 and 49 respectively using a base reaction by wwei23 and hotcrystal0.
- November 23–24: Martin Grant, Tanner Jacobi, and Matthias Merzenich complete a period-20 partial found by David Raucci to construct a record-breaking period-20 glider gun.
- November 20: Dongook Lee finds 62P7, a new period-7 domino sparker that's more accessible than 132P7, stronger than hebdarole, and much smaller than 754P7 (which itself can be reduced to 678 cells with this same discovery).
- November 18: Dongook Lee discovers the first strictly volatile p4 oscillator.
- November 17: Rocknlol discovers several new Max predecessors using LogicLifeSearch including, among others, one with only 151 cells and another with a bounding box of only 25×21, making them the smallest known spacefillers by these metrics.
- November 17: May13 constructs the first clean c/6 orthogonal rake using 8 copies of a dirty p1212 puffer, and iNoMed quickly reduces this to 4 copies.
- November 13: Using the new weekender recipe, Goldtiger997 and Dave Greene complete a glider-to-weekender converter less than a quarter of the size of the previous mechanism, with an option to produce doo-dah spaceships instead.
- November 13: Luka Okanishi assembles a working elementary Herschel merge circuit.
- November 13: With population optimization help from Entity Valkyrie, Dongook Lee finds 180P8, a very high-clearance domino sparker that is a significant reduction to the previously known 230P8.
- November 10: iNoMed announces yet another size reduction for the period-144 glider gun using a transparent-blinker component.
|The LifeWiki contains one of the most comprehensive catalogues of patterns available on the internet. Within it you will find:
Did you know...
- ... that the first self-constructing Conway's Life pattern was built in 2010?
- ... that the first glider synthesis for a c/3 spaceship was completed in 2014?
- ... that the first "macro-spaceship" gun (a Gemini spaceship gun) was constructed in 2010, followed by the HBK gun in January 2015 and a Demonoid gun in December 2015?
- ... that the waterbear was the first known high-speed oblique spaceship, many orders of magnitude faster than Gemini spaceships and half-baked knightships?
- ... that there are no known direct reflectors for lightspeed wire signals, or for signals in 2c/3 wires, but that very large reflectors for these signals can be constructed using stable or periodic circuitry?
- ... that 24 ten-cell patterns exhibit infinite growth, with 17 unique pattern types, but that it has been proven that no nine-cell pattern exhibits infinite growth?
- ... that all still lifes up to 20 bits have a known glider synthesis, but it is still not known whether all still lifes are synthesizable?
- ... that the French kiss remained without a glider synthesis until 2013, and there are still fourteen 17-bit p2s that have not been successfully synthesized?
- ... that Adam P. Goucher's distributed Catagolue soup-search project, started in February 2015, has tested several orders of magnitude more random soups than any previous such project, and has contributed to the reduction of many glider construction recipes?
- ... that with the appearance of the 0E0P metacell, the number of periods for which strict volatility 1 oscillators were known went from 12 to infinity?