|View animated image|
|View static image|
|Number of cells||12|
|Discovered by||Dean Hickerson|
|Year of discovery||1989|
Caterer is a period 3 oscillator found by Dean Hickerson on August 4, 1989. Its rotor is similar to that of jam. In terms of its minimum population of 12 this is the smallest period 3 oscillator, and tied with fox as the smallest wholly asymmetric oscillator.
Caterer is about the forty-second most common naturally-occurring oscillator in Achim Flammenkamp's census, being about as frequent as beehive on griddle. On Catagolue, it is the fourth most common period 3 oscillator, being less common than candlefrobra on trans-block but more common than candlefrobra on cis-block.
- Dean Hickerson's oscillator stamp collection.
- Achim Flammenkamp (September 7, 2004). "Most seen natural occurring ash objects in Game of Life". Retrieved on January 15, 2009.
- Adam P. Goucher. "Census". Catagolue. Retrieved on October 27, 2018.
- "Life Credits". Mark D. Niemiec. Retrieved on June 10, 2011.
- Chris Cain (March 1, 2015). Re: Soup search results (discussion thread) at the ConwayLife.com forums
- 12P3.1 at Heinrich Koenig's Game of Life Object Catalogs