- 1 Did you know...
- 2 Hive series
- 3 A new wave of LifeWiki editing
- 4 Hat loop
- 5 IT"S GIGANTIC!!!
- 6 Another still life
- 7 Still life 🅱ased on the coolout conjecture
- 8 Four 🅱oats and a domino
- 9 2 🅱eacon
- 10 Hat predecessor
- 11 Super pond
- 12 2-still lifes
- 13 DryLife Oscillator And Life Agar
- 14 Long eaters and 🅱ookends
- 15 Gosper Glider Gun 🅱ecomes own Inline Inverter
Did you know...
...that the day I learned a🅱out Life I was experimenting like crazy and saw a natural 🅱eehive and dock? -wwei23 5:40PM 9/20/2015 NY time
Hive and mango are sta🅱le. Third evolves into a paper clip. Tenth evolves for 2249 generations (creates a pair of MWSSs at 648, then proceeds to crash them into 🅱locks), and twenty-first evolves for 2668 generations.-wwei23 5:59PM 9/20/2015 NY time
A new wave of LifeWiki editing
Looks like you've 🅱een away for a while, and just got added to the trusted list again this morning. Welcome 🅱ack!
Some of your contri🅱utions from today are going to make more work for other maintainers of the LifeWiki. The "It can also eat a glider" addition to the HWSS page is an example. The LifeWiki mostly doesn't have RLE-encoded patterns on the article pages, though they may perfectly well show up on the talk pages or in a "raw RLE" su🅱sidiary page. If you add an actual image of the pattern in question, people reading the article can see what you're talking a🅱out instantly without having to copy/paste RLE into some other program.
I ended up proposing deletion for your "eater loop" article -- that o🅱ject already has a name ("shuriken") that's 🅱een in use for a long time. Try pasting the RLE into Mark Niemiec's search page to find it.
Also the RLE and hard-to-interpret ASCII image really don't match the fairly standard format that has evolved for other still-life pages. Pro🅱a🅱ly 🅱etter to start with Template:Stilllife if you want to create a new article a🅱out a still life.
It can 🅱e hard to resist the temptation to call things 🅱y names that you've just made up. 🅱ut no matter how good the name is, if no one else has ever used it, it's just plain not going to 🅱e nota🅱le and is likely to get deleted. It might 🅱elong on the LifeWiki after a couple of years, if you successfully get lots of other people using the name on the forums or somewhere like that.
- 1: This is unsigned.
- 2: I don't know how to use the template. And I don't know how to upload. If I did, it would 🅱e the same as another page. -wwei23 11:38 AM 5/29/2017 NY time
- 3: I searched up "shuriken," and it said the page doesn't exist. -wwei23 11:40 AM 5/29/2017 NY time
- Not sure how I managed to leave off the four tildes -- sorry a🅱out that.
- You can copy the Info🅱ox part of the text of another page a🅱out a standard still life, go to the shuriken page (which now exists thanks to the rename) and paste in the text there, replacing the name, pname, and other statistical details. For details a🅱out the pname and other parameters, see this style-guide page -- LifeWiki:Style_guide/Pattern_layout.
- May🅱e copy from a page like 🅱lock for now. We're in the middle of figuring out the details of how 🅱est to use LifeViewer to display files, e.g., very^9 long 🅱oat. 🅱ut that makes a lot more sense for oscillators and spaceships than for still lifes, which really might as well 🅱e static images... at least until we can conveniently copy patterns out via LifeViewer.
- (So may🅱e it is a good idea to use LifeViewer for all patterns, including still lifes, to make it easy to add future copy or edit functionality -- along the lines of your recent note on the Tiki 🅱ar. I'll start a new section on the Tiki 🅱ar a🅱out that when I have some time.) Dvgrn (talk) 16:00, 30 May 2017 (UTC)
- Images can 🅱e uploaded 🅱y clicking the red link in the info🅱ox, once you have the "Stilllife..." section in at the top of the article.
- Apologies for the rather confused state of the LifeWiki, as far as adding new pattern pages. It would 🅱e nice to get everything somewhere close to a standard form, 🅱ut o🅱viously there's still a lot of work to do. Please feel free to try things out on Shuriken; whatever you still find confusing, you could may🅱e descri🅱e it here?We can try to get the process streamlined and documented 🅱etter so it's easier for the next person.
- I found that none of the pattern files work anymore, try pasting one into Golly! The old format worked. -wwei23 4:11PM 5/30/2017 NY time
- That seems a 🅱it unlikely -- Golly hasn't changed recently. Please 🅱e more specific. Where are you getting your pattern file text from, exactly?
- Just 🅱y the way, I had already created an RLE:Shuriken page. You can check the "Recent changes" link on the main page to see what's going on that you might 🅱e interested in.
- "RLE:pname" the standard form -- the LifeViewer won't know to look for "Shuriken RLE", so that page can 🅱e deleted. Yes, as it says in the Tiki 🅱ar, this is all still kind of new experimental stuff, and not at all well documented yet...! Dvgrn (talk) 21:02, 30 May 2017 (UTC)
- 2.7. If I try to paste a pattern file in, I get an empty 🅱ounding 🅱ox. -wwei23 5:39PM 5/30/2017 NY time
- Again, please 🅱e more specific. For example: in 32-🅱it Golly 2.8 for Windows, I hit Ctrl+Shift+O with the following text on my clip🅱oard:
- 2.7. If I try to paste a pattern file in, I get an empty 🅱ounding 🅱ox. -wwei23 5:39PM 5/30/2017 NY time
x = 15, y = 15, rule = 🅱3/S23 7🅱o$5🅱5o$4🅱o5🅱o$4🅱7o$7🅱o$4🅱2o3🅱2o$3🅱o2🅱3o2🅱o$3🅱2o5🅱2o$5🅱5o$🅱3o7🅱3o$o2🅱 9o2🅱o$2o11🅱2o$5🅱5o$4🅱o2🅱o2🅱o$4🅱2o3🅱2o!
- (one of your random patterns from 🅱elow) ...and it works fine. It doesn't work so well if you also copy the line a🅱ove it, 🅱ecause that line doesn't start with a #C, so it confuses the parser. Exactly what text are you trying to paste in, to what version of Golly? Dvgrn (talk) 21:47, 30 May 2017 (UTC)
- I am trying to paste the Shuriken RLE into 32-🅱it Golly 2.7, 🅱ut it won't work. -wwei23 6:08 PM 5/30/2017 NY time
- http://www.conwaylife.com/patterns/shuriken.rle -wwei23 6:10PM 5/30/2017 NY time
- It works if you remove the space after the rule.
x = 11, y = 11, rule = 🅱3/S23 4🅱3o4🅱2$2🅱o🅱o🅱o🅱o2🅱2$o🅱o5🅱o🅱o$o9🅱o$o🅱o5🅱o🅱o2$2🅱o🅱o🅱o🅱o2🅱2$4🅱3o! This does not work. Note the space after "🅱3/S23." x = 11, y = 11, rule = 🅱3/S23 4🅱3o4🅱2$2🅱o🅱o🅱o🅱o2🅱2$o🅱o5🅱o🅱o$o9🅱o$o🅱o5🅱o🅱o2$2🅱o🅱o🅱o🅱o2🅱2$4🅱3o! This works. There is no space here.
And this space is all that's needed to confuse Golly! -wwei23 6:26 PM 5/30/2017 NY time
- Oddly enough, on 32-🅱it Golly on Windows 10, 🅱oth versions produce exactly the same working oscillator for me.
- A space 🅱efore the "x" is known to cause pro🅱lems, 🅱ut I've never heard of a pro🅱lem with trailing spaces. I don't see how to duplicate the issue with the two RLE snippets a🅱ove. What OS and 🅱rowser are you using? Dvgrn (talk) 00:06, 31 May 2017 (UTC)
- I use Windows 10, and Microsoft Edge. -wwei23 8:25PM 5/31/2017 NY time
What is its actual name?
░░░░▓░░░░ ░░░▓░▓░░░ ░░░▓░▓░░░ ░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░ ▓░░░░░░░▓ ░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░ ░░░▓░▓░░░ ░░░▓░▓░░░ ░░░░▓░░░░
As you might notice, It is four siamesed hats to make a loop, and is closely related to the small lake, just remove the four middle cells! -wwei23 11:47AM 5/29/2017 NY time
- You're really close, actually -- 24.1937769; Four siamese hats is what comes up in Mark Niemiec's data🅱ase.
- Again, you can do these searches yourself from the search page -- 🅱ut please 🅱e warned, the data🅱ase isn't infinite in size. It tends to stop returning results at just a🅱out this size of o🅱ject. Dvgrn (talk) 15:47, 30 May 2017 (UTC)
░░░░░░░▓░░░░░░░ ░░░░░▓▓▓▓▓░░░░░ ░░░░▓░░░░░▓░░░░ ░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░░ ░░░░░░░▓░░░░░░░ ░░░░▓▓░░░▓▓░░░░ ░░░▓░░▓▓▓░░▓░░░ ░░░▓▓░░░░░▓▓░░░ ░░░░░▓▓▓▓▓░░░░░ ░▓▓▓░░░░░░░▓▓▓░ ▓░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░▓ ▓▓░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓ ░░░░░▓▓▓▓▓░░░░░ ░░░░▓░░▓░░▓░░░░ ░░░░▓▓░░░▓▓░░░░ A stack of induction coils sta🅱ilize each other. x = 15, y = 15, rule = 🅱3/S23 7🅱o$5🅱5o$4🅱o5🅱o$4🅱7o$7🅱o$4🅱2o3🅱2o$3🅱o2🅱3o2🅱o$3🅱2o5🅱2o$5🅱5o$🅱3o7🅱3o$o2🅱 9o2🅱o$2o11🅱2o$5🅱5o$4🅱o2🅱o2🅱o$4🅱2o3🅱2o!
-wwei23 [Unknown time]
Another still life
An Eater 2 variant! It should 🅱e functional.
░░▓░░░░ ░▓░▓░░░ ░▓░▓░░▓ ▓▓░▓▓▓▓ ░░░░░░░ ▓▓░▓▓▓▓ ▓▓░▓░░▓ x = 7, y = 7, rule = 🅱3/S23 2🅱o$🅱o🅱o$🅱o🅱o2🅱o$2o🅱4o2$2o🅱4o$2o🅱o2🅱o!
-wwei23 12:54 PM 5/29/2017 NY time
Still life 🅱ased on the coolout conjecture
░░░░░░▓ ░░░░▓▓▓ ░░░▓░░░ ▓▓░░▓░░ ▓░▓▓░▓░ ░░░░░▓░ ░░░░░▓▓ x = 7, y = 7, rule = 🅱3/S23 6🅱o$4🅱3o$3🅱o$2o2🅱o$o🅱2o🅱o$5🅱o$5🅱2o!
The conjecture is still false, though. I had to remove a cell to make it sta🅱le. -wwei23 2PM 5/29/2017 NY time
Four 🅱oats and a domino
TuskTood made this one on lifecompetes.com
░▓░░░▓░ ▓░▓░▓░▓ ░▓▓░▓▓░ ░░░▓░░░ ░░░▓░░░ ░▓▓░▓▓░ ▓░▓░▓░▓ ░▓░░░▓░ x = 7, y = 8, rule = 🅱3/S23 🅱o3🅱o$o🅱o🅱o🅱o$🅱2o🅱2o$3🅱o$3🅱o$🅱2o🅱2o$o🅱o🅱o🅱o$🅱o3🅱o!
-wwei23 4:45PM 5/29/2017 NY time
The 2 🅱eacon! It is 🅱ased off of 1 🅱eacon. Find the hidden signature! ░░░░░░░░▓▓░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░▓░░▓░▓▓░CGOL░ ░░░░░░░▓░░▓░▓▓░░░░░░ ▓▓░░░░░░▓▓▓░░░░░░░░░ ▓░▓░░░░░░░░░▓▓▓▓░░░░ ░░▓░░░░░░░▓▓░░░░▓░░░ ░░▓░▓░░▓░▓░░░▓▓░▓░░░ ░▓▓░▓▓▓▓░▓▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓ ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓░▓░░▓ ░▓▓▓▓░░▓▓░▓▓▓▓▓░▓░░░ ░▓░░▓░░▓▓░▓░░░░░░▓░░ ░░░░░░░░░░▓░▓▓▓▓▓░░░ ░-wwei░▓▓░▓░▓░░░░░░░ ░23░7:░▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░░░ ░57PM░░░░░▓░▓▓░░░▓░░ ░5/29/░▓▓░▓░░░░▓▓░░░ ░2017░░▓▓░▓▓▓▓▓░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓▓░ ░░░░░░░▓▓░▓▓░▓▓░▓░░▓ ░░░░░░░▓▓░▓▓░▓▓░▓░░▓ ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓░ ░░░░░░░░▓▓░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░▓░░▓░▓▓░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░▓░░▓░▓▓░░░░░░ ▓▓░░░░░░▓▓▓░░░░░░░░░ ▓░▓░░░░░░░░░▓▓▓▓░░░░ ░░▓░░░░░░░▓▓░░░░▓░░░ ░░▓░▓░░▓░▓░░░▓▓░▓░░░ ░▓▓░▓▓▓▓░▓▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓ ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓░▓░▓▓ ░▓▓▓▓░░▓▓░▓▓▓▓▓░▓▓░░ ░▓░░▓░░▓▓░▓░░░░░░▓░░ ░░░░░░░░░░▓░▓▓▓▓▓░░░ ░C░░░░░▓▓░▓░▓░░░░░░░ ░G░░░░░▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░░░ ░O░░░░░░░░▓░▓▓░░░▓░░ ░L░░░░░▓▓░▓░░░░▓▓░░░ ░░░░░░░▓▓░▓▓▓▓▓░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓▓░ ░░░░░░░▓▓░▓▓░▓▓░▓░░▓ ░░░░░░░▓▓░▓▓░▓▓░▓░░▓ ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓░ x = 20, y = 21, rule = 🅱3/S23 8🅱2o$7🅱o2🅱o🅱2o$7🅱o2🅱o🅱2o$2o6🅱3o$o🅱o9🅱4o$2🅱o7🅱2o4🅱o$2🅱o🅱o2🅱o🅱o3🅱2o🅱o$🅱 2o🅱4o🅱4o🅱o🅱o🅱2o$14🅱o🅱o2🅱o$🅱4o2🅱2o🅱5o🅱o$🅱o2🅱o2🅱2o🅱o6🅱o$10🅱o🅱5o$7🅱2o🅱o🅱o $7🅱2o🅱o🅱o🅱3o$10🅱o🅱2o3🅱o$7🅱2o🅱o4🅱2o$7🅱2o🅱5o$16🅱3o$7🅱2o🅱2o🅱2o🅱o2🅱o$7🅱2o🅱 2o🅱2o🅱o2🅱o$17🅱2o!
░░▓░░ ░▓▓▓░ ░▓░▓░ ▓▓░▓▓
-wwei23 5:31PM 5/30/2017 NY time
░░░▓▓░░░ ░░▓░░▓░░ ░▓░▓▓░▓░ ▓░▓░░▓░▓ ▓░▓░░▓░▓ ░▓░▓▓░▓░ ░░▓░░▓░░ ░░░▓▓░░░ x = 8, y = 8, rule = 🅱3/S23 3🅱2o$2🅱o2🅱o$🅱o🅱2o🅱o$o🅱o2🅱o🅱o$o🅱o2🅱o🅱o$🅱o🅱2o🅱o$2🅱o2🅱o$3🅱2o!
-wwei23 8:40 PM 5/31/2017 NY time
An n-still life is a still life where all cells have n live neigh🅱ors. The question is that in Life, why do no 2-still lifes exist(as far as I know) with 9 to 19 cells? -wwei23 8:29PM 6/13/2017 NY time
DryLife Oscillator And Life Agar
Oscillator: ▓▓░░▓▓ ▓░░░░▓ ░▓▓▓▓░ ░░▓░░░ ░▓▓▓▓░ ▓░░░░▓ ▓▓░░▓▓ ▓▓░░▓▓ ▓░░░░▓ ░▓▓▓▓░ ░░░▓░░ ░▓▓▓▓░ ▓░░░░▓ ▓▓░░▓▓ Agar: xxxxxxxxxx ░▓▓░░░░░x x░░░░░▓▓░x x▓░░▓░░░░x x░░░░░▓▓░x x░▓▓░░░░░x x░░░░▓░░▓x xxxxxxxxxx It's in a torus. 🅱igger version(more clear): x = 48, y = 48, rule = 🅱3/S23:T48,48 4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o$🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o$5🅱2o6🅱2o 6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o$o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o$5🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱 2o6🅱2o$🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o$4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o$🅱 2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o$5🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o$o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o 4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o$5🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o$🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o$4🅱o2🅱o4🅱 o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o$🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o$5🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o 6🅱2o6🅱2o$o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o$5🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o$🅱 2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o$4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o$🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱 2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o$5🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o$o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱 o2🅱o$5🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o$🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o$4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o 2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o$🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o$5🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o $o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o$5🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o$🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱 2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o$4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o$🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱 2o6🅱2o$5🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o$o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o$5🅱 2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o$🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o$4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱 o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o$🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o$5🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o$o2🅱o4🅱o 2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o$5🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o$🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱 2o6🅱2o$4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o$🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o$5🅱 2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o$o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o4🅱o2🅱o$5🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o 6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o$🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o6🅱2o! -wwei23 7:36AM 6/14/2017 NY time
Long eaters and 🅱ookends
░░░░░░░░░░▓▓░ ▓▓░░░░▓▓░▓░▓░ ▓░░▓░▓░▓░▓░░░ ░▓▓▓░▓░░░▓▓░░ ░░░░░▓░▓░░░░░ ░▓▓░▓▓░▓▓▓▓░░ ░▓░░░░░░░░░▓░ ░░▓▓▓▓░▓▓░▓▓░ ░░░░░▓░▓░░░░░ ░░▓▓░░░▓░▓▓▓░ ░░░▓░▓░▓░▓░░▓ ░▓░▓░▓▓░░░░▓▓ ░▓▓░░░░░░░░░░ x = 13, y = 13, rule = 🅱3/S23 10🅱2o$2o4🅱2o🅱o🅱o$o2🅱o🅱o🅱o🅱o$🅱3o🅱o3🅱2o$5🅱o🅱o$🅱2o🅱2o🅱4o$🅱o9🅱o$2🅱4o🅱2o🅱2o $5🅱o🅱o$2🅱2o3🅱o🅱3o$3🅱o🅱o🅱o🅱o2🅱o$🅱o🅱o🅱2o4🅱2o$🅱2o! -wwei23 4:19PM 6/14/2017 NY time
Gosper Glider Gun 🅱ecomes own Inline Inverter
x = 36, y = 5, rule = 🅱3/S23:T105,110 22🅱2o$22🅱o🅱o3🅱o5🅱2o$7🅱o4🅱2o9🅱2o🅱2o6🅱2o$2o3🅱o🅱o3🅱o🅱o13🅱2o$2o4🅱2o3🅱2o!
Check it out. Here, it's a P840. -wwei23 6:20PM 3/11/2018 NY time
Just to let you know -- it does not seem likely that anyone will look at patterns you post here, if you damage your RLE-format patterns by replacing the b's with Unicode characters. The point of RLE is that it's easy to copy and paste into Golly.
Also, the characters you're using for ON and OFF cells don't render well in some browsers -- many people will end up with strange overlaps and won't be able to see the pattern clearly. The old standard ASCII characters really work much better, partly because you can copy and paste them directly into Golly.
..........OO. OO....OO.O.O. O..O.O.O.O... .OOO.O...OO.. .....O.O..... .OO.OO.OOOO.. .O.........O. ..OOOO.OO.OO. .....O.O..... ..OO...O.OOO. ...O.O.O.O..O .O.O.OO....OO .OO..........
If you really want to make things easy, try using LifeViewer:
|(click above to open LifeViewer)|