- 1 Did you know...
- 2 Hive series
- 3 Natural objects
- 4 A new wave of LifeWiki editing
- 5 Hat loop
- 6 IT"S GIGANTIC!!!
- 7 Another still life
- 8 Still life based on the coolout conjecture
- 9 Four boats and a domino
- 10 2 beacon
- 11 Hat predecessor
- 12 Super pond
- 13 2-still lifes
- 14 DryLife Oscillator And Life Agar
- 15 Long eaters and Bookends
- 16 Gosper Glider Gun becomes own Inline Inverter
Did you know...
...that the day I learned about Life I was experimenting like crazy and saw a natural beehive and dock? -wwei23 5:40PM 9/20/2015 NY time
Hive and mango are stable. Third evolves into a paper clip. Tenth evolves for 2249 generations (creates a pair of MWSSs at 648, then proceeds to crash them into blocks), and twenty-first evolves for 2668 generations.-wwei23 5:59PM 9/20/2015 NY time
Seven days ago, I saw a block and dock, an aircraft carrier, and a tub with tail(but not the eater). Another day, I saw a natural eater 1 so far away from the soup that it was probably a glider collision(can't say for sure). Today I saw a rare still life(x = 5, y = 9, rule = B3/S23 3bo$b3o$o$b3o$4bo$b3o$o$b3o$3bo! (RLE) (Twin hat)). What have you seen? wwei23 1:49PM 9/27/2015 And yet another LWSS too. -wwei23 2:14PM 9/27/2015 NY time
x = 7, y = 6, rule = B3/S23 3bo$3b3o$b2o3bo$obobobo$obob2o$bo!
-wwei23 2:26PM NY time Natural integral. -wwei23 2:47PM NY time
Big S and two pulsars. -wwei23 2:51PM NY time
ANOTHER LWSS! -wwei23 2:52PM NY time
Another pulsar. -wwei23 4:30PM NY time
Table on table, house on house, Pentadecthalons, pulsars, paperclips, R-loaf on R-loaf(the symmetrical one) and this still life.
x = 7, y = 8, rule = B3/S23 4b2o$3bo2bo$2bo2bo$2b3o$2o$bob2o$bo2bo$2b2o!
scorpion with mango instead of beehive
Wow! -wwei23 8:22PM 9/29/2015 NY time
A new wave of LifeWiki editing
Looks like you've been away for a while, and just got added to the trusted list again this morning. Welcome back!
Some of your contributions from today are going to make more work for other maintainers of the LifeWiki. The "It can also eat a glider" addition to the HWSS page is an example. The LifeWiki mostly doesn't have RLE-encoded patterns on the article pages, though they may perfectly well show up on the talk pages or in a "raw RLE" subsidiary page. If you add an actual image of the pattern in question, people reading the article can see what you're talking about instantly without having to copy/past RLE into some other program.
I ended up proposing deletion for your "eater loop" article -- that object already has a name ("shuriken") that's been in use for a long time. Try pasting the RLE into Mark Niemiec's search page to find it.
Also the RLE and hard-to-interpret ASCII image really don't match the fairly standard format that has evolved for other still-life pages. Probably better to start with Template:Stilllife if you want to create a new article about a still life.
It can be hard to resist the temptation to call things by names that you've just made up. But no matter how good the name is, if no one else has ever used it, it's just plain not going to be notable and is likely to get deleted. It might belong on the LifeWiki after a couple of years, if you successfully get lots of other people using the name on the forums or somewhere like that.
- 1: This is unsigned.
- 2: I don't know how to use the template. And I don't know how to upload. If I did, it would be the same as another page. -wwei23 11:38 AM 5/29/2017 NY time
- 3: I searched up "shuriken," and it said the page doesn't exist. -wwei23 11:40 AM 5/29/2017 NY time
- Not sure how I managed to leave off the four tildes -- sorry about that.
- You can copy the Infobox part of the text of another page about a standard still life, go to the shuriken page (which now exists thanks to the rename) and paste in the text there, replacing the name, pname, and other statistical details. For details about the pname and other parameters, see this style-guide page -- LifeWiki:Style_guide/Pattern_layout.
- Maybe copy from a page like block for now. We're in the middle of figuring out the details of how best to use LifeViewer to display files, e.g., very^9 long boat. But that makes a lot more sense for oscillators and spaceships than for still lifes, which really might as well be static images... at least until we can conveniently copy patterns out via LifeViewer.
- (So maybe it is a good idea to use LifeViewer for all patterns, including still lifes, to make it easy to add future copy or edit functionality -- along the lines of your recent note on the Tiki bar. I'll start a new section on the Tiki bar about that when I have some time.) Dvgrn (talk) 16:00, 30 May 2017 (UTC)
- Images can be uploaded by clicking the red link in the infobox, once you have the "Stilllife..." section in at the top of the article.
- Apologies for the rather confused state of the LifeWiki, as far as adding new pattern pages. It would be nice to get everything somewhere close to a standard form, but obviously there's still a lot of work to do. Please feel free to try things out on Shuriken; whatever you still find confusing, you could maybe describe it here?We can try to get the process streamlined and documented better so it's easier for the next person.
- I found that none of the pattern files work anymore, try pasting one into Golly! The old format worked. -wwei23 4:11PM 5/30/2017 NY time
- That seems a bit unlikely -- Golly hasn't changed recently. Please be more specific. Where are you getting your pattern file text from, exactly?
- Just by the way, I had already created an RLE:Shuriken page. You can check the "Recent changes" link on the main page to see what's going on that you might be interested in.
- "RLE:pname" the standard form -- the LifeViewer won't know to look for "Shuriken RLE", so that page can be deleted. Yes, as it says in the Tiki bar, this is all still kind of new experimental stuff, and not at all well documented yet...! Dvgrn (talk) 21:02, 30 May 2017 (UTC)
- 2.7. If I try to paste a pattern file in, I get an empty bounding box. -wwei23 5:39PM 5/30/2017 NY time
- Again, please be more specific. For example: in 32-bit Golly 2.8 for Windows, I hit Ctrl+Shift+O with the following text on my clipboard:
- 2.7. If I try to paste a pattern file in, I get an empty bounding box. -wwei23 5:39PM 5/30/2017 NY time
x = 15, y = 15, rule = B3/S23 7bo$5b5o$4bo5bo$4b7o$7bo$4b2o3b2o$3bo2b3o2bo$3b2o5b2o$5b5o$b3o7b3o$o2b 9o2bo$2o11b2o$5b5o$4bo2bo2bo$4b2o3b2o!
- (one of your random patterns from below) ...and it works fine. It doesn't work so well if you also copy the line above it, because that line doesn't start with a #C, so it confuses the parser. Exactly what text are you trying to paste in, to what version of Golly? Dvgrn (talk) 21:47, 30 May 2017 (UTC)
- I am trying to paste the Shuriken RLE into 32-bit Golly 2.7, but it won't work. -wwei23 6:08 PM 5/30/2017 NY time
- http://www.conwaylife.com/patterns/shuriken.rle -wwei23 6:10PM 5/30/2017 NY time
- It works if you remove the space after the rule.
x = 11, y = 11, rule = B3/S23 4b3o4b2$2bobobobo2b2$obo5bobo$o9bo$obo5bobo2$2bobobobo2b2$4b3o! This does not work. Note the space after "B3/S23." x = 11, y = 11, rule = B3/S23 4b3o4b2$2bobobobo2b2$obo5bobo$o9bo$obo5bobo2$2bobobobo2b2$4b3o! This works. There is no space here.
And this space is all that's needed to confuse Golly! -wwei23 6:26 PM 5/30/2017 NY time
- Oddly enough, on 32-bit Golly on Windows 10, both versions produce exactly the same working oscillator for me.
- A space before the "x" is known to cause problems, but I've never heard of a problem with trailing spaces. I don't see how to duplicate the issue with the two RLE snippets above. What OS and browser are you using? Dvgrn (talk) 00:06, 31 May 2017 (UTC)
- I use Windows 10, and Microsoft Edge. -wwei23 8:25PM 5/31/2017 NY time
What is its actual name?
░░░░▓░░░░ ░░░▓░▓░░░ ░░░▓░▓░░░ ░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░ ▓░░░░░░░▓ ░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░ ░░░▓░▓░░░ ░░░▓░▓░░░ ░░░░▓░░░░
As you might notice, It is four siamesed hats to make a loop, and is closely related to the small lake, just remove the four middle cells! -wwei23 11:47AM 5/29/2017 NY time
- You're really close, actually -- 24.1937769; Four siamese hats is what comes up in Mark Niemiec's database.
- Again, you can do these searches yourself from the search page -- but please be warned, the database isn't infinite in size. It tends to stop returning results at just about this size of object. Dvgrn (talk) 15:47, 30 May 2017 (UTC)
░░░░░░░▓░░░░░░░ ░░░░░▓▓▓▓▓░░░░░ ░░░░▓░░░░░▓░░░░ ░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░░ ░░░░░░░▓░░░░░░░ ░░░░▓▓░░░▓▓░░░░ ░░░▓░░▓▓▓░░▓░░░ ░░░▓▓░░░░░▓▓░░░ ░░░░░▓▓▓▓▓░░░░░ ░▓▓▓░░░░░░░▓▓▓░ ▓░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░▓ ▓▓░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓ ░░░░░▓▓▓▓▓░░░░░ ░░░░▓░░▓░░▓░░░░ ░░░░▓▓░░░▓▓░░░░ A stack of induction coils stabilize each other. x = 15, y = 15, rule = B3/S23 7bo$5b5o$4bo5bo$4b7o$7bo$4b2o3b2o$3bo2b3o2bo$3b2o5b2o$5b5o$b3o7b3o$o2b 9o2bo$2o11b2o$5b5o$4bo2bo2bo$4b2o3b2o!
-wwei23 [Unknown time]
Another still life
An Eater 2 variant! It should be functional.
░░▓░░░░ ░▓░▓░░░ ░▓░▓░░▓ ▓▓░▓▓▓▓ ░░░░░░░ ▓▓░▓▓▓▓ ▓▓░▓░░▓ x = 7, y = 7, rule = B3/S23 2bo$bobo$bobo2bo$2ob4o2$2ob4o$2obo2bo!
-wwei23 12:54 PM 5/29/2017 NY time
Still life based on the coolout conjecture
░░░░░░▓ ░░░░▓▓▓ ░░░▓░░░ ▓▓░░▓░░ ▓░▓▓░▓░ ░░░░░▓░ ░░░░░▓▓ x = 7, y = 7, rule = B3/S23 6bo$4b3o$3bo$2o2bo$ob2obo$5bo$5b2o!
The conjecture is still false, though. I had to remove a cell to make it stable. -wwei23 2PM 5/29/2017 NY time
Four boats and a domino
TuskTood made this one on lifecompetes.com
░▓░░░▓░ ▓░▓░▓░▓ ░▓▓░▓▓░ ░░░▓░░░ ░░░▓░░░ ░▓▓░▓▓░ ▓░▓░▓░▓ ░▓░░░▓░ x = 7, y = 8, rule = B3/S23 bo3bo$obobobo$b2ob2o$3bo$3bo$b2ob2o$obobobo$bo3bo!
-wwei23 4:45PM 5/29/2017 NY time
The 2 beacon! It is based off of 1 beacon. Find the hidden signature! ░░░░░░░░▓▓░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░▓░░▓░▓▓░CGOL░ ░░░░░░░▓░░▓░▓▓░░░░░░ ▓▓░░░░░░▓▓▓░░░░░░░░░ ▓░▓░░░░░░░░░▓▓▓▓░░░░ ░░▓░░░░░░░▓▓░░░░▓░░░ ░░▓░▓░░▓░▓░░░▓▓░▓░░░ ░▓▓░▓▓▓▓░▓▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓ ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓░▓░░▓ ░▓▓▓▓░░▓▓░▓▓▓▓▓░▓░░░ ░▓░░▓░░▓▓░▓░░░░░░▓░░ ░░░░░░░░░░▓░▓▓▓▓▓░░░ ░-wwei░▓▓░▓░▓░░░░░░░ ░23░7:░▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░░░ ░57PM░░░░░▓░▓▓░░░▓░░ ░5/29/░▓▓░▓░░░░▓▓░░░ ░2017░░▓▓░▓▓▓▓▓░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓▓░ ░░░░░░░▓▓░▓▓░▓▓░▓░░▓ ░░░░░░░▓▓░▓▓░▓▓░▓░░▓ ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓░ ░░░░░░░░▓▓░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░▓░░▓░▓▓░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░▓░░▓░▓▓░░░░░░ ▓▓░░░░░░▓▓▓░░░░░░░░░ ▓░▓░░░░░░░░░▓▓▓▓░░░░ ░░▓░░░░░░░▓▓░░░░▓░░░ ░░▓░▓░░▓░▓░░░▓▓░▓░░░ ░▓▓░▓▓▓▓░▓▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓ ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓░▓░▓▓ ░▓▓▓▓░░▓▓░▓▓▓▓▓░▓▓░░ ░▓░░▓░░▓▓░▓░░░░░░▓░░ ░░░░░░░░░░▓░▓▓▓▓▓░░░ ░C░░░░░▓▓░▓░▓░░░░░░░ ░G░░░░░▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░░░ ░O░░░░░░░░▓░▓▓░░░▓░░ ░L░░░░░▓▓░▓░░░░▓▓░░░ ░░░░░░░▓▓░▓▓▓▓▓░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓▓░ ░░░░░░░▓▓░▓▓░▓▓░▓░░▓ ░░░░░░░▓▓░▓▓░▓▓░▓░░▓ ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓░ x = 20, y = 21, rule = B3/S23 8b2o$7bo2bob2o$7bo2bob2o$2o6b3o$obo9b4o$2bo7b2o4bo$2bobo2bobo3b2obo$b 2ob4ob4obobob2o$14bobo2bo$b4o2b2ob5obo$bo2bo2b2obo6bo$10bob5o$7b2obobo $7b2obobob3o$10bob2o3bo$7b2obo4b2o$7b2ob5o$16b3o$7b2ob2ob2obo2bo$7b2ob 2ob2obo2bo$17b2o!
░░▓░░ ░▓▓▓░ ░▓░▓░ ▓▓░▓▓
-wwei23 5:31PM 5/30/2017 NY time
░░░▓▓░░░ ░░▓░░▓░░ ░▓░▓▓░▓░ ▓░▓░░▓░▓ ▓░▓░░▓░▓ ░▓░▓▓░▓░ ░░▓░░▓░░ ░░░▓▓░░░ x = 8, y = 8, rule = B3/S23 3b2o$2bo2bo$bob2obo$obo2bobo$obo2bobo$bob2obo$2bo2bo$3b2o!
-wwei23 8:40 PM 5/31/2017 NY time
An n-still life is a still life where all cells have n live neighbors. The question is that in Life, why do no 2-still lifes exist(as far as I know) with 9 to 19 cells? -wwei23 8:29PM 6/13/2017 NY time
DryLife Oscillator And Life Agar
Oscillator: ▓▓░░▓▓ ▓░░░░▓ ░▓▓▓▓░ ░░▓░░░ ░▓▓▓▓░ ▓░░░░▓ ▓▓░░▓▓ ▓▓░░▓▓ ▓░░░░▓ ░▓▓▓▓░ ░░░▓░░ ░▓▓▓▓░ ▓░░░░▓ ▓▓░░▓▓ Agar: xxxxxxxxxx ░▓▓░░░░░x x░░░░░▓▓░x x▓░░▓░░░░x x░░░░░▓▓░x x░▓▓░░░░░x x░░░░▓░░▓x xxxxxxxxxx It's in a torus. Bigger version(more clear): x = 48, y = 48, rule = B3/S23:T48,48 4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo$b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o$5b2o6b2o 6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o$o2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo$5b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b 2o6b2o$b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o$4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo$b 2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o$5b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o$o2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo 4bo2bo4bo2bo$5b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o$b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o$4bo2bo4b o2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo$b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o$5b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o 6b2o6b2o$o2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo$5b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o$b 2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o$4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo$b2o6b2o6b 2o6b2o6b2o6b2o$5b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o$o2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4b o2bo$5b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o$b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o$4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo 2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo$b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o$5b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o $o2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo$5b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o$b2o6b2o6b 2o6b2o6b2o6b2o$4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo$b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b 2o6b2o$5b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o$o2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo$5b 2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o$b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o$4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2b o4bo2bo4bo2bo$b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o$5b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o$o2bo4bo 2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo$5b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o$b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b 2o6b2o$4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo$b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o$5b 2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o$o2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo4bo2bo$5b2o6b2o6b2o 6b2o6b2o6b2o$b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o6b2o! -wwei23 7:36AM 6/14/2017 NY time
Long eaters and Bookends
░░░░░░░░░░▓▓░ ▓▓░░░░▓▓░▓░▓░ ▓░░▓░▓░▓░▓░░░ ░▓▓▓░▓░░░▓▓░░ ░░░░░▓░▓░░░░░ ░▓▓░▓▓░▓▓▓▓░░ ░▓░░░░░░░░░▓░ ░░▓▓▓▓░▓▓░▓▓░ ░░░░░▓░▓░░░░░ ░░▓▓░░░▓░▓▓▓░ ░░░▓░▓░▓░▓░░▓ ░▓░▓░▓▓░░░░▓▓ ░▓▓░░░░░░░░░░ x = 13, y = 13, rule = B3/S23 10b2o$2o4b2obobo$o2bobobobo$b3obo3b2o$5bobo$b2ob2ob4o$bo9bo$2b4ob2ob2o $5bobo$2b2o3bob3o$3bobobobo2bo$bobob2o4b2o$b2o! -wwei23 4:19PM 6/14/2017 NY time
Gosper Glider Gun becomes own Inline Inverter
x = 36, y = 5, rule = B3/S23:T105,110 22b2o$22bobo3bo5b2o$7bo4b2o9b2ob2o6b2o$2o3bobo3bobo13b2o$2o4b2o3b2o!
Check it out. Here, it's a P840. -wwei23 6:20PM 3/11/2018 NY time