This week's featured article
|The OTCA metapixel is a 2048 × 2048 period 35328 unit cell that was constructed by Brice Due from Fall 2005 through Spring 2006. It has many advantages over the previous-known unit cells such as the p5760 unit Life cell and deep cell, including the ability to emulate any Life-like cellular automaton and the fact that, when zoomed out, the ON and OFF cells are easy to distinguish.
It is designed to run quickly under the HashLife algorithm, and thus Golly is generally used to view and/or manipulate meta-patterns made up of OTCA metapixels (and some such patterns even come packaged with Golly).
In the news
|The LifeWiki contains one of the most comprehensive catalogues of patterns available on the internet. Within it you will find:
Did you know...
- ... that even without using fixed-cost reverse caber tosser technology, an N-bit strict still life – specifically, some length of long long (...) boat or ship – can be constructed for any odd integer N using no more than 20 gliders, and for any even integer N using no more than 21 gliders, using a temporary tubstretcher?
- ... that even without using fixed-cost reverse caber tosser technology, some specific N-bit period-2 oscillators can be constructed for any even integer N using no more than 27 gliders, and for any odd integer N using no more than 29 gliders, using a temporary tubstretcher?
- ... that it is currently an open question as to if there exists a periodic pattern whose only predecessors are its own evolutionary sequence?
- ... that it was proved in the early 1970s that reflectorless rotating oscillators exist in Life, but none were found until 2018 when Adam P. Goucher completed the 0E0P metacell?
- ... that there are currently known elementary spaceships with speeds c/7 and c/10 orthogonal, but none with c/8 or c/9?
- ... that there are currently known elementary spaceships with speeds c/7 and c/12 diagonal, but none with c/8, c/9, c/10 or c/11?
- ... that while the speed limit for orthogonal spaceships in rules using the Moore neighbourhood is c orthogonal, spaceships in Larger than Life rules are capable of breaking this barrier?
- ... that without the use of adjustable glider loops, there are no known oscillators with periods 43 or 53?
- ... that without the use of Herschel loops or adjustable glider loops, there are no known oscillators with periods 59 or 61?
- ... that small stable elementary period multipliers (also known as pulse dividers) have been found for multipliers of 2x, 3x, and 4x, but not for 5x or higher?