This week's featured article
|The queen bee shuttle is a period-30 oscillator in which a queen bee travels back and forth between two stabilizing ends. The shuttles were originally stabilized against one another in a square of eight shuttles, though there are now a number of known ways to stabilize the ends. Some simple methods of stabilization involve blocks; for a method involving an eater 1 see buckaroo. The queen bee shuttle is the basis of all known true period 30 guns (including the infamous Gosper glider gun). It was found by Bill Gosper in 1970 and was the first period 30 oscillator to be found. It is the smallest known oscillator with period greater than 15 and about the 18th most common naturally-occurring oscillator.
In the news
- April 11: David Raucci finds a new p76 pi-heptomino hassler oscillator, which is quickly reduced to a monomer form by JP21, A for awesome, and Matthias Merzenich.
- April 10-14: Goldtiger997 completes a 152-glider synthesis of a third c/4 orthogonal spaceship, 61P4H1V0.1; within four days this was reduced to an 89-glider synthesis.
- March 18: Results for the 2020 Pattern of the Year competition include a tie for first place between the Bandersnatch and the Speed Demonoid.
- March 17: A small synthesis efficiency improvement project, 12-in-7 (12-bit still lifes constructed with 7 gliders or less) is completed, with 13 expensive syntheses reduced to below the target cost in less than a week.
- March 17: Pattern of the Year voting, on a record-breaking thirty-nine entries for 2020, will close on March 17th.
- March 12: The 20-bit still life glider synthesis project is completed.
- March 7-8: Goldtiger997 completes a 215-glider recipe for 72P4H1V0, the second c/4 orthogonal spaceship to be synthesized.
- February 10-11: Chris Rowett uses ikpx2 to discover several new moving objects, including a p120 2c/5 puffer and c/5 diagonal tubstretcher, tagalong, and spaceship.
- February 4-11: Tanner Jacobi, EvinZL, Louis-François Handfield and Sphenocorona find new Herschel-to-glider converters and variants of existing H-to-Gs: NW26T157b, NE30T17_NE1T22, NW10T137, SW-18T136 and a Spartan SE16T36b.
- January 11-March 8: Hartmut Holzwart completes several new chicken wire greyships with different widths of chicken wire, with specific examples constructed for widths 2 through 12 among others.
|The LifeWiki contains one of the most comprehensive catalogues of patterns available on the internet. Within it you will find: