LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here

For discussion directly related to LifeWiki.
dvgrn

Re: Massive spam attacks on the wiki (and forums?)

Post by dvgrn » December 1st, 2018, 2:28 pm

cyclotron wrote:Hello there,

May I request trust flag for cyclotron?
I would like to add patterns to illustrate a post on collisions between gliders.

B.
Not seeing a user "cyclotron" on the LifeWiki -- it's a separate signup procedure, which is probably a little silly but so it goes.

cyclotron

Post by cyclotron » December 2nd, 2018, 6:41 am

OK. So I created an account for cyclotron on the LifeWiki.
Thanks for the fast reply.
109472 < x < 1092318

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » December 2nd, 2018, 6:59 am

cyclotron wrote:OK. So I created an account for cyclotron on the LifeWiki.
Thanks for the fast reply.
Trusted flag is set. Welcome to the LifeWiki!

It seems to be traditional to just throw users in at the deep end and see how they swim. It sounds like you know what you want to try, so you're welcome to try it -- if a change falls foul of commonly accepted LifeWiki policy somehow, then someone will be along to fix it eventually and ask you politely not to do that again.

That's not always a particularly pleasant way to learn but it usually works eventually. Feel free to ask questions on places like your User talk page.

cyclotron

Post by cyclotron » December 2nd, 2018, 4:15 pm

Ok.

I do not intend to start a revolution. For the time being, I only want to add some patterns that are not listed. Not because they were unknown until know but because naming patterns gives headaches I guess.
It seems a good way to start to participate. I believe the biggest risk is if names are not accepted.
109472 < x < 1092318

cyclotron

Post by cyclotron » December 2nd, 2018, 5:47 pm

I checked the links in your post.

Before wasting your time (and mine), I would like to expose to you a little more what I want to do: my ultimate intention is to post in the thread "Enumerating Three-Glider Collisions". Some of the 3-glider collisions result in populations that contain patterns not listed in the LifeWiki. This is why I want to create 15 pages for these patterns so that readers can see how the patterns look like. The purpose is NOT to get credit for these patterns that were discovered long ago, it is only to mention the fact that there is at least one 3-glider collision that produces these patterns.

For example, 'trans-mango with tail' (5bo$3b3o$2bo$bobo$o2bo$obo$bo!) can be found in the result of the computation of 41bo$40bo$40b3o50$2bo$obo$b2o$4b3o$4bo$5bo!. After 333 generations, population is stable and contains 61 cells: 9 blinker 4 block 1 beehive and 1 trans-mango with tail.

When I read the rules about creating a page for a pattern, I wonder if this is enough for that pattern to have a dedicated page. In the case of trans-mango with tail, I find it hard to give any link. Except the fact that it is listed on http://www.petadecathlon.com list of 12 cells stable patterns as '12.98' (but this site is usually not listed in references as far as I could see).

I would mostly appreciate your advices.
109472 < x < 1092318

MilkyWay90

Post by MilkyWay90 » December 2nd, 2018, 6:10 pm

Make User:MilkyWay90 a trusted user, please.

I had to spend 30 minutes just getting to type this.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » December 2nd, 2018, 9:19 pm

MilkyWay90 wrote:Make User:MilkyWay90 a trusted user, please.

Done. What took the 30 minutes exactly?

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » December 2nd, 2018, 9:32 pm

cyclotron wrote:... my ultimate intention is to post in the thread "Enumerating Three-Glider Collisions". Some of the 3-glider collisions result in populations that contain patterns not listed in the LifeWiki. This is why I want to create 15 pages for these patterns so that readers can see how the patterns look like. The purpose is NOT to get credit for these patterns that were discovered long ago, it is only to mention the fact that there is at least one 3-glider collision that produces these patterns.
That seems reasonable to me -- fifteen is not a lot of pages. My only suggestions would be

1) Copy the article text from an existing page -- something like Trans-boat with nine, maybe -- and modify it to get the page you want. If you want to include an embedded viewer with the 3-glider collision that produces the still life, that's maybe not necessary but it seems like that would be good too. Example embedded viewers with simple looping animations are in quite a few articles now, like Buckaroo.

2) Use the standard name from Catagolue if one is available. If not, it might be worth checking Mark Niemiec's search page to see if a name is given there. Just paste in the RLE of the object in any orientation and click Search.

cyclotron

Post by cyclotron » December 4th, 2018, 7:03 pm

Thanks.

I found the patterns in both collections and started editing a 15 bits pattern.

I purposely remove the link to the 15 still bits page to avoid pollution while I'm editing.
109472 < x < 1092318

MilkyWay90

Post by MilkyWay90 » December 6th, 2018, 10:40 pm

dvgrn wrote:
MilkyWay90 wrote:Make User:MilkyWay90 a trusted user, please.

Done. What took the 30 minutes exactly?
The fact that I was really tired and could barely type.

So, there's nothing wrong with the login system, if that's what you're talking about.

Caenbe

Post by Caenbe » December 7th, 2018, 7:31 pm

Can I have a trusted flag, please? There's a theorem about phoenixes that I want to add a citation for.
Music make you lose control
Music make you lose control
echo "print(10**10**5//~-10**1000//9801)" | python | aplay

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » December 7th, 2018, 10:46 pm

Caenbe wrote:Can I have a trusted flag, please? There's a theorem about phoenixes that I want to add a citation for.
Done. And sure, just link to the post for the p3 phoenix nonexistence proof. If it ends up somewhere more official, we can always shift the link to that later.

wildmyron

Post by wildmyron » December 11th, 2018, 5:56 am

May I be trusted on the wiki please? Username also wildmyron.

Edit: Thank you.
Last edited by wildmyron on December 11th, 2018, 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
The 5S project (Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds) is now maintained by AforAmpere. The latest collection is hosted on GitHub and contains well over 1,000,000 spaceships.

Semi-active here - recovering from a severe case of LWTDS.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » December 11th, 2018, 7:50 am

wildmyron wrote:May I be trusted on the wiki please? Username also wildmyron.
Done. Welcome to the wild world of the wiki --

Naszvadi

Post by Naszvadi » December 27th, 2018, 6:51 am

Possible spam users - their signatures are malicious, or at least suspicious - faking labels, clickbaits: Cannot decide if this account is a bot (********.com as a project in signature - if it is relevant or not, without clicking on it, or just a CEO/owner of the site):
../forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2052

In the latter case(s), a change of signature would be enough, I think. Yes, there are some other accounts like the above.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » December 27th, 2018, 10:49 am

Naszvadi wrote:Possible spam users - their signatures are malicious, or at least suspicious - faking labels, clickbaits...
I don't know if Nathaniel can easily remove spammer accounts completely, but the other admins can only add them to a banlist, by name and/or IP address. I don't seem to have any way to edit a spam signature.
(Unless there's an admin feature I haven't found yet, which is quite possible!)

The three accounts you linked to are pretty much what a spammer account looks like after their messages have been reported and removed. There are probably hundreds of these out there, and it's a known issue -- not much point in posting links to any particular subset of them.

Sarp

Post by Sarp » January 3rd, 2019, 9:17 am

Can I get trusted flag? I'm Sarp
WADUFI

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » January 3rd, 2019, 9:57 am

Sarp wrote:Can I get trusted flag? I'm Sarp
Done!

muzik

Post by muzik » January 16th, 2019, 4:41 am

Bit of an incident here: viewforum.php?f=7

I want to create a new thread specifically for requesting wiki access some time soon.

77topaz

Post by 77topaz » January 16th, 2019, 4:44 am

Maybe there isn't specifically a need for a thread for reporting spam attacks, anyway - there's a "report post" button which can be used to do that more directly.

wildmyron

Post by wildmyron » January 16th, 2019, 10:18 pm

muzik wrote:Bit of an incident here: viewforum.php?f=7
And again (still ongoing).
77topaz wrote:Maybe there isn't specifically a need for a thread for reporting spam attacks, anyway - there's a "report post" button which can be used to do that more directly.
Could mods please let us know their preferred method of notification? Posting to this thread sends an email to everyone watching it (which probably elicits a more timely response at the cost of sending unnecessary emails to all mods), but I'm not sure what what happens when someone reports a post.
The 5S project (Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds) is now maintained by AforAmpere. The latest collection is hosted on GitHub and contains well over 1,000,000 spaceships.

Semi-active here - recovering from a severe case of LWTDS.

Bullet51

Post by Bullet51 » January 16th, 2019, 11:11 pm

wildmyron wrote: And again (still ongoing).
http://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3724
Still drifting.

77topaz

Post by 77topaz » January 16th, 2019, 11:16 pm

Yeah, new spam threads seem to be appearing about every five minutes currently.

Also, weirdly, it seems like maybe 90% of the spam attacks in the past twelve months could've been prevented by barring users from registering with numbers at the end of the usernames. :?

BZH314

Post by BZH314 » January 17th, 2019, 3:36 pm

77topaz wrote:90% of the spam attacks in the past twelve months could've been prevented by barring users from registering with numbers at the end of the usernames. :?
gasp! :o
I now see the cleverness of your username :D

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » January 18th, 2019, 5:58 am

wildmyron wrote:Could mods please let us know their preferred method of notification? Posting to this thread sends an email to everyone watching it (which probably elicits a more timely response at the cost of sending unnecessary emails to all mods), but I'm not sure what what happens when someone reports a post.
Speaking only for myself: messages to this thread are useful to me, especially for spam in the OCA and Sandbox boards (because I'm not subscribed to those). On the other boards I'm more likely to notice spam messages myself.

If I weren't so lazy about going to the Moderator Control Panel and clicking on the "Reported posts" tab on a regular basis, then I wouldn't need messages here even for Sandbox or OCA spam.

I just went looking for a setting to tell the forum software to notify me when someone reports a post. It might still be hiding somewhere, but I'm not seeing anything like that.