LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here

For discussion directly related to LifeWiki.
dvgrn

Re: Massive spam attacks on the wiki (and forums?)

Post by dvgrn » October 13th, 2018, 5:43 pm

Ian07 wrote:Just made a wiki account, could I please have edit permissions? Username is Ian07.
Done!

BZH314

Post by BZH314 » October 14th, 2018, 5:42 pm

May user BZH314 please get the "trusted" flag?
Thanks

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » October 14th, 2018, 5:52 pm

BZH314 wrote:May user BZH314 please get the "trusted" flag?
Done by your friendly neighborhood moderator dvgrn, who also refers to himself in the third person.

BZH314

Post by BZH314 » October 14th, 2018, 6:04 pm

dvgrn wrote:
BZH314 wrote:May user BZH314 please get the "trusted" flag?
Done by your friendly neighborhood moderator dvgrn, who also refers to himself in the third person.
Haha, thanks friendly neighbor.
Maybe dvgrn wouldn't want to be confused with Dvgrn either?

77topaz

Post by 77topaz » October 18th, 2018, 9:34 pm

BZH314 wrote:Haha, thanks friendly neighbor.
Maybe dvgrn wouldn't want to be confused with Dvgrn either?
Or with dvrgn. ;)

SHOW_ME_7

Post by SHOW_ME_7 » November 3rd, 2018, 8:05 pm

Trusted mode please! :D I wish to diversify content on the "Polyonimoes" Page on the wiki.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » November 3rd, 2018, 9:41 pm

SHOW_ME_7 wrote:Trusted mode please! :D I wish to diversify content on the "Polyonimoes" Page on the wiki.
Done!

Random life lover

Post by Random life lover » November 3rd, 2018, 10:26 pm

Please trust me! I have being on lifewiki for a long time but never contributed it.

But I think I found a methuselah that is not listed on it,that's why I am registering.

x = 10, y = 5, rule = B3/S23
$7bo$2bo4b2o$2b2o3bo$3bo!

Please check for a bit
“All theory is gray, my friend. But forever green is the tree of life." -- Goethe in Faust

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » November 3rd, 2018, 10:39 pm

Random life lover wrote:Please trust me! I have being on lifewiki for a long time but never contributed it.
Done!
Random life lover wrote:But I think I found a methuselah that is not listed on it,that's why I am registering...
Unfortunately if you tried to add that to the list of long-lived methuselahs, someone would have to remove it again. It's 7x4, so has a taller bounding box by one cell than rabbits and relatives, which last ten times as long... and the same initial population as acorn, which is also 7x3 and lasts more than twice as long as this one.

If we tried to list all the methuselahs that were more or less as good as that one, we'd have thousands (at least) of non-record-breaking methuselahs to document.

Random life lover

Post by Random life lover » November 3rd, 2018, 11:56 pm

dvgrn wrote:
Random life lover wrote:Please trust me! I have being on lifewiki for a long time but never contributed it.
Done!
Random life lover wrote:But I think I found a methuselah that is not listed on it,that's why I am registering...
Unfortunately if you tried to add that to the list of long-lived methuselahs, someone would have to remove it again. It's 7x4, so has a taller bounding box by one cell than rabbits and relatives, which last ten times as long... and the same initial population as acorn, which is also 7x3 and lasts more than twice as long as this one.

If we tried to list all the methuselahs that were more or less as good as that one, we'd have thousands (at least) of non-record-breaking methuselahs to document.
Well,I’ll try find something better in the future.
“All theory is gray, my friend. But forever green is the tree of life." -- Goethe in Faust

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » November 4th, 2018, 5:05 am

Random life lover wrote:Well,I’ll try find something better in the future.
As a general rule of thumb, BTW, entirely new discoveries are best posted to the forums first so that others can chime in on how noteworthy they are.

Very interesting patterns may have LifeWiki articles written quickly by others --- may,mind, it's far from guaranteed. If the consensus is that the pattern is cool / interesting / useful, and no one else steps up to write an article on it, you can still do it yourself, but please share the pattern here first. It's easy to get excited when finding something new and overestimate its significance.
If you speak, your speech must be better than your silence would have been. — Arabian proverb

Catagolue: Apple Bottom • Life Wiki: Apple Bottom • Twitter: @_AppleBottom_

Proud member of the Pattern Raiders!

AlexanderVB

Post by AlexanderVB » November 5th, 2018, 8:24 am

I would like to request a "trusted" flag, please. I'm trying to improve the page contents of various methuselahs in the wiki.

Thanks for reading! :)

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » November 5th, 2018, 10:16 am

AlexanderVB wrote:I would like to request a "trusted" flag, please. I'm trying to improve the page contents of various methuselahs in the wiki.
Done!

AlexanderVB

Post by AlexanderVB » November 5th, 2018, 12:01 pm

dvgrn wrote:
AlexanderVB wrote:I would like to request a "trusted" flag, please. I'm trying to improve the page contents of various methuselahs in the wiki.
Done!
Thank you!

REDsEngineer

Post by REDsEngineer » November 6th, 2018, 7:16 pm

Can I please get the trusted flag? I would like to add a few life types that I discovered while fooling around with a faulty version of Conway's Game of Life on the TI-84 Plus calculator to http://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/List_of_ ... r_automata. My username is "REDsEngineer".

Edit: Also I can't create my own talk page

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » November 6th, 2018, 7:45 pm

REDsEngineer wrote:Can I please get the trusted flag? I would like to add a few life types that I discovered while fooling around with a faulty version of Conway's Game of Life on the TI-84 Plus calculator to http://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/List_of_ ... r_automata. My username is "REDsEngineer".
Done! Are these "life types" new rules, not new patterns? In either case, a recent reminder seems likely to be relevant:
Apple Bottom wrote:As a general rule of thumb, BTW, entirely new discoveries are best posted to the forums first so that others can chime in on how noteworthy they are.
The dreaded word "notable" appears on the page you pointed to. We can't name all of the Life-like rules, let alone all the isotropic non-totalistic rules. If we did that, then nobody would be able to find the most interesting or "notable" rules in the resulting ridiculously long list of mostly mediocre rules.

That said, a forum thread advertising a previously unexplored rule, if it gets any significant amount of traffic, is pretty much all that's needed to change a rule from non-notable to notable.

REDsEngineer

Post by REDsEngineer » November 6th, 2018, 8:30 pm

dvgrn wrote:
REDsEngineer wrote:Can I please get the trusted flag? I would like to add a few life types that I discovered while fooling around with a faulty version of Conway's Game of Life on the TI-84 Plus calculator to http://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/List_of_ ... r_automata. My username is "REDsEngineer".
Done! Are these "life types" new rules, not new patterns? In either case, a recent reminder seems likely to be relevant:
Apple Bottom wrote:As a general rule of thumb, BTW, entirely new discoveries are best posted to the forums first so that others can chime in on how noteworthy they are.
The dreaded word "notable" appears on the page you pointed to. We can't name all of the Life-like rules, let alone all the isotropic non-totalistic rules. If we did that, then nobody would be able to find the most interesting or "notable" rules in the resulting ridiculously long list of mostly mediocre rules.

That said, a forum thread advertising a previously unexplored rule, if it gets any significant amount of traffic, is pretty much all that's needed to change a rule from non-notable to notable.
They're new cellular automata, and I don't know what rules they would have. They are: Segmentations, Shine, Glint, Runes, Growing Crystallizations, and Target. They're all named after the way the Blinker (Conway's Game of Life) evolves in them. I've made a forum page for them (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3587) and I will add Shine, Glint, Runes, Growing Crystallizations, and Target when I find my TI-84 Plus.
P.S. The Segmentations gif was recorded using an emulator that I saved it on
P.P.S. I did not mention the cellular automata that go nowhere from the Blinker

REDsEngineer

Post by REDsEngineer » November 7th, 2018, 2:45 pm

REDsEngineer wrote:
dvgrn wrote:

They're new cellular automata, and I don't know what rules they would have. They are: Segmentations, Shine, Glint, Runes, Growing Crystallizations, and Target. They're all named after the way the Blinker (Conway's Game of Life) evolves in them. I've made a forum page for them (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3587) and I will add Shine, Glint, Runes, Growing Crystallizations, and Target when I find my TI-84 Plus.
P.S. The Segmentations gif was recorded using an emulator that I saved it on
P.P.S. I did not mention the cellular automata that go nowhere from the Blinker
I updated it. More gifs coming soon.

EvinZL

Post by EvinZL » November 9th, 2018, 9:15 pm

If you only need to know who invented the Game of Life, someone can use a bot to fill in the answer on the page. I think you could add another question related to the Game of Life that changes every time, and that most people registering should know.

dani

Post by dani » November 9th, 2018, 9:21 pm

EvinZL wrote:If you only need to know who invented the Game of Life, someone can use a bot to fill in the answer on the page. I think you could add another question related to the Game of Life that changes every time, and that most people registering should know.
Unrelated, but *PLEASE* get rid of your signature, or don't add a viewer tag. Thank you.

EvinZL

Post by EvinZL » November 9th, 2018, 9:32 pm

May I request trusted flag for Evin?

Ian07

Post by Ian07 » November 9th, 2018, 9:36 pm

EvinZL wrote:May I request trusted flag for Evin?
Like danny said, PLEASE PLEASE make your signature smaller. If you replace the viewer tag with a code tag, you can still get the option to "show in viewer" but it won't take up as much space:

Code: Select all

x=13, y=5, rule=B3/S23
bbbbbooobbbbb$boobbobboboob$obobbobbbbobo$bbobbobbbbobb$bbbbbbobobbbb!

EvinZL

Post by EvinZL » November 9th, 2018, 10:01 pm

May I request trusted flag for Evin?

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » November 10th, 2018, 12:18 am

EvinZL wrote:May I request trusted flag for Evin?
Done. But remember, with great power comes great responsibility.

cyclotron

Post by cyclotron » December 1st, 2018, 11:20 am

Hello there,

May I request trust flag for cyclotron?
I would like to add patterns to illustrate a post on collisions between gliders.

B.
109472 < x < 1092318