Introductions

A forum where anything goes. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. This is the forum for "non-academic" content.
Erkan Yilmaz

Introductions

Post by Erkan Yilmaz » October 10th, 2010, 5:34 pm

Hello,

(sorry, but did not see a thread where new people can introduce themselves)

I'm new around here and would be happy if someone can point me to some of your activities.

I got interested into Life from a mediawiki variant, see wiki
Then I found this forum and wiki:
wiki: http://conwaylife.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... kan_Yilmaz
soup search: http://conwaylife.com/soup/stats.asp?name=Erkan+Yilmaz

Greetings from Germany,
Erkan

Axaj

Re: introduction

Post by Axaj » October 10th, 2010, 7:06 pm

Welcome, we've been getting quite a few new members recently.
Erkan Yilmaz wrote:(sorry, but did not see a thread where new people can introduce themselves)
I don't think there is one, actually.

Erkan Yilmaz

Post by Erkan Yilmaz » October 11th, 2010, 1:55 am

Thank you for the welcome :D

137ben

Post by 137ben » October 11th, 2010, 4:35 pm

I don't think there is one, actually.
Well now there is!

ssaamm

Post by ssaamm » October 11th, 2010, 5:07 pm

Do you think I have some introducing to do then?
Nah, I'm not interesting enough

NotAvailableCooper

Post by NotAvailableCooper » August 10th, 2014, 9:24 pm

Hi! I'm a guy who's been playing around with GoL for 5 years and is particularly fascinated with methuselahs. I'm no expert, but I know enough to have made a video series on the basics on YouTube.
Methuselahs unbound.

jbrodak

Post by jbrodak » August 30th, 2014, 3:42 pm

well someone suppose to create plase for noobs here... ;)

gliderman

Post by gliderman » September 6th, 2014, 1:31 am

Hi,everyone.I'm a rookie to GOL.In fact,I'm also a rookie to English...(I have to declare it before I make some rookie mistakes).
It would be a great pleasure for me to make some contributions in this field. :D
Glider is a miracle!

praosylen

Post by praosylen » September 14th, 2014, 1:40 pm

(EDIT: why did I even post this, I said literally nothing here. Oh well, it's not like I'm adding anything useful now...)
Last edited by praosylen on July 29th, 2021, 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
former username: A for Awesome
praosylen#5847 (Discord)

The only decision I made was made
of flowers, to jump universes to one of springtime in
a land of former winter, where no invisible walls stood,
or could stand for more than a few hours at most...

Nathaniel
Site Admin

Post by Nathaniel » March 19th, 2016, 7:14 am

Well, since we have a forum for this type of stuff now, I might as well throw my hat in the ring:

My name's Nathan Johnston, and I became interested in Life back in high school (2001 or 2002) when it was given as an assignment in a computer programming course. I started this website during my PhD, and I'm now a math professor at a small university in eastern Canada.

I have a wife and a daughter, and I enjoy video games in my free time.

drc

Re: Introductions

Post by drc » March 19th, 2016, 11:20 am

-
Last edited by drc on April 24th, 2022, 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saka

Post by Saka » March 23rd, 2016, 8:34 am

My username is my nickname I am 11 and live in Java Island in Indonesia but I can speak English and Indonesian and can translate phrases, words, etc. I can also part-translate Malay. I spend time at home by playing CGoL, Minecraft, and stuff. My computer is an extremely poopy 32-bit Dual Core Intel PC. I am dedicated to finding a 2c/9 diagonal with WLS. I am Male (Boy). I also own a saltwater aquarium.

thunk

Post by thunk » March 28th, 2016, 12:50 am

Hello everyone, my name is thunk.

Well okay, that's the nym I go by online. My meatspace name is not actually thunk. That would be rather silly. (And no, I'm not going to tell y'all just yet.)

As for my gender, well... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Honestly, if I knew any better I'd tell you. But I'm fine with "she" or "they" pronouns.

I live in the central part of the US (keep moving back and forth) and am 19 years of age, as my profile (doesn't quite) say. Logically enough, I am currently studying a STEM field at a large state university.

Having been interested in recreational mathematics for a long time, I've been interested in CGoL for a slightly shorter span of time. Downloading Golly, watching the patterns, etc etc. I even found these forums in about 2010, but never actually posted anything.'

In the interim, stuff happened, my interests changed, and then in 2015 I got back here. Now I'm figuring out how to make patterns--not just run them. (of course, not very many just yet...)
"What's purple and commutes?
The Evanston Express."

Pigeonbee

Post by Pigeonbee » March 28th, 2016, 11:08 am

May as well join in.

I'm Brandon, and I'm facinated by GoL. It kinda started a while ago while reading a book, finding about the chaos theory, and when looking in further, I found out the GoL thing.
When I first was messing about with it, it was my intentions to try and create a soup to see what would naturally appear. Now it's about finding the perfect methuslah and such.

I hope I have fun here.
I am riveted by really, really long-lasting methuselahs.
Trying to seach for them in golly by placing random blocks and hoping for the best, and also by modding existing ones.

biggiemac

Post by biggiemac » March 28th, 2016, 12:56 pm

Might as well. Some stuff about me is known in other threads but I'll say a bit more here.

I'm Brett, a 21yo graduate student at Caltech in applied physics. I am fascinated by information and its various forms, which has led me to interest in cellular automata, coding-based puzzles like TIS-100, machine learning, quantum information devices (my area of research), and all sorts of other things.

I discovered CGOL while an undergraduate at Harvey Mudd College, where it was shown in a coding class. I forgot about it for a couple years and then rediscovered it when friends were in that same class. Seeing the golly ticker (the pattern at the top of http://golly.sourceforge.net/) I think is what made me want to learn about how controlled information flow is engineered in the CGOL universe. Shortly after joining the forums I started to play around with the possible information flow surrounding the (23, 5)c/79 reaction and made the Waterbear. Other projects I have not finished but plan to keep working towards are a compactified TL extruder, the 13131 spaceship, and maybe others I have forgotten about.
Physics: sophistication from simplicity.

M. I. Wright

Post by M. I. Wright » March 29th, 2016, 2:33 am

Hiya! First off, I'm not sure how many people - if any - have thought much about my username in the 10-or-so months I've been here, but I figure it's not too late to point out that it's a play on words and not my actual name (say it out loud). Lately I've started ditching the initials and going by Ian Wright - still not my real name - or just Wright, though, so if you come across one of those names on some other niche forum you can pretty much be sure it's me.

I can't remember what I was doing beforehand, but my first exposure to CGoL was when I found the 'epic conways game of life' YT video back in 4th grade. I downloaded Golly soon after because the video absolutely fascinated me (in particular the Golly ticker and 2c/5 gun), but after messing around with it for a month or so I realized I really didn't understand what was happening nor what I was doing, so it got pushed to the back of my mind until the summer before this year - 9th grade - when I joined these forums.
My ten months here have mostly been spent putting off the one thing I joined to do, so with the progress I've been making you should expect to see said thing in a few years, if I haven't given up on Life (heh) by then.

Besides this forum, my hobbies include 3d animating (and modeling, albeit to a lesser extent) & other graphic-design-related shenanigans, pen spinning, programming (not something I take seriously, but I can get by in most languages), music, and running.
Last edited by M. I. Wright on May 30th, 2016, 2:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

lifeisawesome

Post by lifeisawesome » April 22nd, 2016, 2:02 pm

Hello :)
I am a person who's interested in Conway's Life, and I might be one of the youngest.
Well, I am a noob, but I might make something nice on the way.
I don't have anything else to say...
--Szymon Bartosiewicz
favorite pattern:

Code: Select all

x = 2, y = 2, rule = B25/S3a
2o$2o!

LVGuy

Post by LVGuy » August 22nd, 2016, 11:17 am

hi everyone :)
my name is LV. i'm a 13 years of age human that has been lurking on this forum for a while but i didn't register. i learned a lot from this forum but i guess you can still call me a noob :P
i mainly focus on rules that aren't CGOL but i occasionally do some things with it so you'll probably mostly see me in the "other cellular automata" forum :)

barner

Post by barner » December 15th, 2016, 5:10 am

Hey guys,!! I am new here, how's everyone here??

Saka

Post by Saka » December 15th, 2016, 5:21 am

barner wrote:Hey guys,!! I am new here, how's everyone here??
Um... How did you find Conway's Game of Life?

praosylen

Post by praosylen » December 15th, 2016, 5:43 pm

Saka wrote:Um... How did you find Conway's Game of Life?
That's a different thread you're thinking about, @Saka.
barner wrote:Hey guys,!! I am new here, how's everyone here??
Welcome!
former username: A for Awesome
praosylen#5847 (Discord)

The only decision I made was made
of flowers, to jump universes to one of springtime in
a land of former winter, where no invisible walls stood,
or could stand for more than a few hours at most...

Saka

Post by Saka » December 16th, 2016, 2:58 am

A for awesome wrote:
Saka wrote:Um... How did you find Conway's Game of Life?
That's a different thread you're thinking about, @Saka.
:roll: lol ya

ChrisWebb

Post by ChrisWebb » December 17th, 2016, 7:49 am

I am a software engineer, and in my spare time I work on my own web-based applications such as stats software and neural networks. I recently read about cellular automata and immediately became intrigued by their possibilities, and started to work on my own implementation. I hope to get a very minimal version launched in early 2017 (I'll post a link on this forum), after which I should get time for regular enhancements.

Chris.

rook17

Hi

Post by rook17 » February 6th, 2017, 5:45 pm

Hi.

Going beyong lurking...

1st surprise : the reg form told me that lwss was not the name of the smallest spaceship. Fortunately, it hinted me by stating that the spaceship was only 5 cells... I thought that the ubiquitous glider was not a proper spaceship !

Interested in lua, seems easy, some simple scripts already modded. Too lazy for Py.

I would like to find a catalog of salvos - or other means - to move simple objects. Actually trying to move a beehive 1 cell sideways.

Love static, but hate clumsy herschels

cu

Kiran

Post by Kiran » February 6th, 2017, 6:32 pm

Any pattern that eventually returns to its original configuration translated a non-zero amount is a spaceship.
Welkome to ConwayLife.com!

Code: Select all

x = 3, y = 4, rule = B3/S23
o$3o$obo$2bo!
Kiran Linsuain