The Single Rotation Rule

For discussion of other cellular automata.
Tim Hutton

The Single Rotation Rule

Post by Tim Hutton » June 20th, 2014, 2:18 pm

Check out this Margolus rule with remarkable Life-like properties:
http://dmishin.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/t ... kably.html

Margolus blocks that contain a single live cell get rotated 90 degrees clockwise. Nothing else happens.

In the Golly rule table format it is:

Code: Select all

n_states:2
neighborhood:Margolus
symmetries:rotate4
1,0,0,0 : 0,1,0,0 # a single alive cell rotates
Attached as a Golly demo. As this is a Margolus rule we have to emulate it in Golly, awkwardly, with more states. Better to use Dmitry's simulator at the link above.
Attachments
TheSingleRotationRule.zip
Golly demo of The Single Rotation Rule. No need to unzip, just open straight with Golly.
(1.15 KiB) Downloaded 484 times

c0b0p0

Re: The Single Rotation Rule

Post by c0b0p0 » June 20th, 2014, 3:06 pm

Tim Hutton wrote:Check out this Margolus rule with remarkable Life-like properties:
http://dmishin.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/t ... kably.html
This rule is very nice, but there may be too many survival conditions. As a result, when running a random soup a huge "immortal coral" develops. And since these "immortal corals" seem to be emergent, the entire universe is doomed to be filled with voids and "immortal corals".

As an example of why I like this rule, here is a p2724.

x = 75, y = 73, rule = SingleRotation:T400,400
ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABA
BABABA$75B$ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABAB
ABABABABABABABABA$75B$ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABA
BABABABABABABABABABABABABABA$75B$ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABAB
ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABA$75B$ABABABABABABABABABABABABA
BABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABA$75B$ABABABABABABAB
ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABA$75B$ABA
BABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABAB
ABA$75B$ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABA
BABABABABABABA$75B$ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABAB
ABABABABABABABABABABABABA$75B$ABABABABABABABABADABABABABABABABABABABA
BABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABA$18BD56B$ABABABABABABABABADADABAB
ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABA$20BD54B$ABABABABA
BABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABA$
75B$ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABA
BABABABABA$75B$ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABAB
ABABABABABABABABABABA$75B$ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABA
BABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABA$75B$ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABAB
ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABA$75B$ABABABABABABABABABABA
BABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABA$75B$ABABABABAB
ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABA$75B
$ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABAB
ABABABA$75B$ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABA
BABABABABABABABABA$75B$ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABAB
ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABA$75B$ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABA
BABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABA$75B$ABABABABABABABABABABABAB
ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABA$75B$ABABABABABABA
BABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABA$75B$AB
ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABA
BABA$75B$ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABAB
ABABABABABABABA$75B$ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABA
BABABABABABABABABABABABABA$75B$ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABAB
ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABA$75B$ABABABABABABABABABABABABABA
BABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABA$75B$ABABABABABABABAB
ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABA$75B$ABABA
BABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABAB
A$75B$ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABA
BABABABABABA$75B$ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABAB
ABABABABABABABABABABABA$75B$ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABA
BABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABA$75B$ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABAB
ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABA$75B$ABABABABABABABABABA
BABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABA$75B$ABABABAB
ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABA!

Tim Hutton

Post by Tim Hutton » June 20th, 2014, 3:17 pm

Yes, the number of live cells never changes, which does limit the possible behaviors. There can be no replicator in this rule, for example, without some mechanism for incorporating live cells from elsewhere. Actually, that's kind of nice to think about! I wonder if that is possible in this rule?

simsim314

Post by simsim314 » June 21st, 2014, 4:58 am

Tim Hutton wrote: There can be no replicator in this rule
It's not exactly correct. This is true if we start from empty space, but if we start from say stable "mess", and the replicator will need to "find" useful randomly placed cells, and utilize them, it's actually an interesting problem. In our world the replicators (living organisms) do exactly that: they find material in random environment, and use it to replicate. The conservation law is actually a nice feature for CA.

For starters we can think of replicators that have "infinite" baggage of "parts" as the Von Neumann replicator.
Attachments
220px-Advanced_Automation_for_Space_Missions_figure_5-29.gif
220px-Advanced_Automation_for_Space_Missions_figure_5-29.gif (12.45 KiB) Viewed 21751 times

dmishin

Post by dmishin » June 22nd, 2014, 2:07 pm

Hello, I am really happy that my little finding interested you.
c0b0p0 wrote: This rule is very nice, but there may be too many survival conditions. As a result, when running a random soup a huge "immortal coral" develops. And since these "immortal corals" seem to be emergent, the entire universe is doomed to be filled with voids and "immortal corals".
It is not exactly true. This rule not only preserves the number of alive cells, but it is also time-reversible.
The latter allows us to mathematically prove many facts about the rule, much more than in the non-reversible automata.

Particularly, because of time-reversibility, the immortal coral is not only indestructible, but also "inconstructible".
No interaction with any other pattern: spaceship or combination of them, could ever add new cells to the coral. It's more undead than immortal, not dying and not living. This also means that if a lightest spaceship collides with a coral, then after some time another lightest spaceship will emerge, sometimes after a long time. For me, this process strikingly resembles interaction of an atom and photon: spaceship (photon) hits coral (atom), "excites" it (fragments of spaceship orbiting chaotically around coral, like excited electrons, and finally new spacehip spontaneously emerges. Of course, it's nothing more than curious resemblance.

For example, here is a collision of an orthogonal lightest SS with a bar-like coral, producing the same SS after 6784 generations: Simulator link

Another consequence of time-reversibility is that in any reaction with 1 or more spaceships, at least 1 spaceship emerges. So, this universe is only doomed to perpetual motion: in any reaction with spaceships, at least 1 new one will be created. Here is an example: a spaceship on a field, sparsely filled with random cells. The spaceship chaotically moves inside debris, oscillating between different forms, and sometimes even splitting in 2, but never gets absorbed.

dmishin

Post by dmishin » June 22nd, 2014, 2:49 pm

Regarding the universal constructor in the reversible CA: the possibilities are, indeed, more limited than in the conventional CAs. Moreover, pure universal computer is also impossible, since Turing machine is essentially irreversible. There is a solution, though: just like a real computers, that consume energy, computer in the reversible CA must consume some source of low entropy (for example, regular stream of spaceships) and produce high-entropy exhaust (chaotic stream of spaceships). This chaotic stream will encode information, lost in the irreversible operations of Turing machine.

The same, probably, applies to the universal constructor too. It can't operate in a completely chaotic world. By creating new objects from a chaotic environment, constructor would decrease total entropy of the universe. Therefore, to compensate this, constructor must also destroy and randomize some low-entropy objects (streams of spaceships or highly ordered "fuel tanks" made of regular patterns).

Of course, it's nothing more than my imagination.

alexv

Post by alexv » June 22nd, 2014, 4:01 pm

dmishin wrote:Regarding the universal constructor in the reversible CA: the possibilities are, indeed, more limited than in the conventional CAs. Moreover, pure universal computer is also impossible, since Turing machine is essentially irreversible.
No, reversible Turing machine is possible as well. You may see the construction in C. Bennett, IBM J.Res.Dev. 1973, e.g. below or on the journal site
http://www.math.ucsd.edu/~sbuss/CourseW ... ibiity.pdf
Yet the Turing machine is overkill, it is enough to construct some universal reversible gate such as
Toffoli or Fredkin. An universal reversible CA may be found here
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1293
yet it is second order reversible CA. CA on Margolus partition similar with yours also exists and
I believe it may be found in Toffoli and Margolus book Cellular automata machines

Alexander

alexv

Post by alexv » June 26th, 2014, 6:26 am

I posted an example of reversible rule with universal gates and rudimentary replicator here:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1250&p=12395#p12392

Alexander

c0b0p0

Post by c0b0p0 » June 26th, 2014, 7:16 pm

simsim314 wrote:
Tim Hutton wrote: There can be no replicator in this rule
It's not exactly correct. This is true if we start from empty space, but if we start from say stable "mess", and the replicator will need to "find" useful randomly placed cells, and utilize them, it's actually an interesting problem. In our world the replicators (living organisms) do exactly that: they find material in random environment, and use it to replicate. The conservation law is actually a nice feature for CA.

For starters we can think of replicators that have "infinite" baggage of "parts" as the Von Neumann replicator.
Well, one has to consider that most glider syntheses are impossible in this rule because of its reversibility, so Geminoids made of oscillators and ships would be impossible. A Neumann-like replicator (made of oscillators) would need a construction cell and a "backwards" operation, unattainable because of this rule's reversibility. Without oscillators, of course, it's hard to see what to use (maybe some natural nebulous replicating explosion?)

alexv

Post by alexv » June 27th, 2014, 7:04 am

c0b0p0 wrote: Well, one has to consider that most glider syntheses are impossible in this rule because of its reversibility, ...
Reversibility does not prevent glider synthesis, e.g. after I submitted yet another reversible rule WlAnt
I immediately received two comments with four different glider guns. The idea that synthesis is started
after "pressing a button" - in the simplest case: a glider enters inside the gun and it starts synthesis.

So the problem is not reversibility, but constant amount of cells in this particular rule, but it was already
addressed earlier.

Alexander

c0b0p0

Post by c0b0p0 » June 27th, 2014, 4:39 pm

alexv wrote:
c0b0p0 wrote: Well, one has to consider that most glider syntheses are impossible in this rule because of its reversibility, ...
Reversibility does not prevent glider synthesis, e.g. after I submitted yet another reversible rule WlAnt
I immediately received two comments with four different glider guns. The idea that synthesis is started
after "pressing a button" - in the simplest case: a glider enters inside the gun and it starts synthesis.

So the problem is not reversibility, but constant amount of cells in this particular rule, but it was already
addressed earlier.

Alexander
You may be confusing glider synthesis with glider production. Glider production is what happens in guns. A glider synthesis, on the other hand, is a collision of gliders that produces an oscillator, still life, gun, puffer, or other pattern.

alexv

Post by alexv » June 27th, 2014, 7:02 pm

c0b0p0 wrote: You may be confusing glider synthesis with glider production. Glider production is what happens in guns. A glider synthesis, on the other hand, is a collision of gliders that produces an oscillator, still life, gun, puffer, or other pattern.
In such a case a problem due to reversibility is still not obvious for me - at least for gun it was indeed
not clear how to start without external signal.

alexv

Post by alexv » June 30th, 2014, 11:58 am

There is interesting new result about universality, reversibility and all that for similar CA discussed here
http://www.scottaaronson.com/blog/?p=1896

alexv

Post by alexv » July 4th, 2014, 1:46 pm

Likely, reversible universal cellular automata on Margolus partition with conserved number of cell mentioned in previous comment not only may replicate any pattern, but also apply arbitrary functions to the copies. Yet it is not replicator, but rather universal constructor, because it is necessary to setup certain configuration of cells around given pattern to make the replication (yet the configuration does not depend on pattern to manipulate). Sadly, the copies exist only during single time step ...
http://www.scottaaronson.com/blog/?p=18 ... ent-111518

Alexander

c0b0p0

Post by c0b0p0 » July 4th, 2014, 10:49 pm

alexv wrote:In such a case a problem due to reversibility is still not obvious for me - at least for gun it was indeed
not clear how to start without external signal.
I may be a bit too uncreative here, but I am thinking of a Geminoid made of still lifes and perhaps oscillators for very oscillator-ish rules, with an active tape of gliders. This Geminoid would need to synthesize still lifes and/or oscillators to replicate itself.

The situation surrounding syntheses of still lifes is trivial: In reversible rules, a still life's only predecessor is itself, so it cannot have a group of gliders as a predecessor.

The situation surrounding oscillators can be reduced to the still life case by defining a CA which skips n steps in a reversible CA, where n is the period of the oscillator. This CA is reversible, and obviously if there is a glider synthesis of an object in the CA this CA is based on, then there is one in this CA. However, it is easy to show that the oscillator is a still life in this rule, so it cannot be synthesized.

alexv

Post by alexv » July 5th, 2014, 5:53 am

c0b0p0 wrote: The situation surrounding syntheses of still lifes is trivial: In reversible rules, a still life's only predecessor is itself, so it cannot have a group of gliders as a predecessor.
Certainly, the reversible CA often needs specific way of doing some tricks, but I am not sure that there is
some problem with still life: collision of gliders may produce still life + some other gliders.

In fact, the reversible CA have additional way of producing configurations - start with the configuration
and go backward in time.

PS. There even was a post devoted to reversible synthesis
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1325

Alexander

dmishin

Post by dmishin » July 15th, 2014, 3:34 pm

A little update: I've made an automatic search of the spaceships in this rule, spontaneously produced from the random reactions. In total, 205 different patterns were found, from 4 to 9 cells.
Here is the list itself, and my attempts to summarize it. There are no big revelations though. Probably, the most curious facts are:
- Both phases of the Conway's Life glider are different diagonal spaceships in the Single Rotation rule.
- There is relatively small (8 cells) spaceship with period 9046 generations.

Some of the orthogonal spaceships (the fastest ones):

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » July 15th, 2014, 4:11 pm

dmishin wrote:Probably, the most curious facts are:
- Both phases of the Conway's Life glider are different diagonal spaceships in the Single Rotation rule.
- There is relatively small (8 cells) spaceship with period 9046 generations.
Wow! I like the way the spaceships' weights conform so well to a power rule (except for the missing 10-cell ships, anyway), very much along similar lines as Achim Flammenkamp's graph of Conway's Life ash objects.

One of those 5-cell diagonal ships isn't quite a Life glider, though -- it's an R-pentomino, which is almost equally famous but not quite such a good traveler, without support from Herschel circuitry anyway.

Is there any way in which your initial conditions might be subtly biased toward lower-weight spaceships? Maybe bigger slower ships have a greater tendency to bump into other things before they can escape, or something like that? Does it make any sense to do a brute-force enumeration of not-too-dense 10-cell patterns in successively larger bounding boxes, until a spaceship shows up?

dmishin

Post by dmishin » July 16th, 2014, 3:49 am

dvgrn wrote:One of those 5-cell diagonal ships isn't quite a Life glider, though -- it's an R-pentomino
Ouch! What a shame, thank you for pointing this out.
dvgrn wrote:Is there any way in which your initial conditions might be subtly biased toward lower-weight spaceships? Maybe bigger slower ships have a greater tendency to bump into other things before they can escape, or something like that?
I think that yes. Slow and wide spaceships are often destroyed by the intensive flow of the faster ones before reaching the edge of the field. In fact, I am starting to think that my whole experiment setup was nothing more than the brute forcing in disguise, so it is worth trying indeed. I don't have a program for that though.

alexv

Post by alexv » July 18th, 2014, 7:39 am

I modified scheme implementation of Margolus neighborhood and hope now it may be simpler for work
with Golly including glider synthesis. An example for the Single Rotation rule is in archive below.
The rule has 5 states but does not need for modification of empty cells for emulation. Rule extract
all necessary information from nonzero cells, but due to that rule tree has size 373 instead 77 for
usual implementation. Due to that I also do not have a script for automatic conversion of arbitrary
MCell file and so I had to use CART conversion of algorithm written as MCell DLL.

The import0.py imports two-state pattern into 5-states emulation and export0.py makes opposite conversion.
I also include a few examples (already converted)

Alexander
Attachments
MargSingRot.zip
Single Rotation with scripts and examples
(3.13 KiB) Downloaded 331 times

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » July 18th, 2014, 7:57 am

Just for the record, here's the .rule file that Golly 2.6 creates when opening the ZIP archive:

@RULE MargSingRot

@TREE

num_states=5
num_neighbors=8
num_nodes=373
1 0 0 0 0 0
1 4 4 0 0 0
1 0 0 3 0 0
1 0 4 0 0 0
1 2 0 0 2 0
1 2 0 3 2 0
1 3 0 3 0 0
1 3 4 3 0 0
1 0 0 3 2 0
1 0 0 0 0 1
1 4 4 0 0 1
1 0 4 0 0 1
1 2 0 0 2 1
1 0 0 0 2 0
1 4 4 0 2 0
1 3 0 3 2 0
1 1 0 0 0 1
1 1 0 3 0 1
1 1 4 0 0 1
1 0 4 0 2 0
1 3 4 3 2 0
1 0 4 3 0 0
1 1 4 3 0 1
1 0 4 3 2 0
1 0 0 0 2 1
1 4 4 0 2 1
1 0 4 0 2 1
1 0 0 3 0 1
1 2 0 3 2 1
1 0 4 3 0 1
1 0 0 3 2 1
1 0 4 3 2 1
2 0 0 0 1 2
2 0 0 0 0 2
2 3 0 0 3 2
2 4 4 4 4 5
2 6 0 0 1 2
2 6 0 0 0 2
2 7 0 0 3 2
2 8 4 4 4 5
2 0 0 0 1 0
2 0 0 0 0 0
2 3 0 0 3 0
2 4 4 4 4 4
2 9 9 9 10 9
2 9 9 9 9 9
2 11 9 9 11 9
2 12 12 12 12 12
2 13 13 13 14 8
2 13 13 13 13 8
2 15 13 13 14 8
2 15 13 13 13 8
2 13 13 13 14 13
2 13 13 13 13 13
2 16 16 16 11 17
2 16 16 16 16 17
2 18 16 16 18 17
2 19 13 13 19 8
2 20 13 13 19 8
2 19 13 13 19 13
2 16 16 16 11 16
2 16 16 16 16 16
2 18 16 16 18 16
2 2 0 0 1 2
2 2 0 0 0 2
2 21 0 0 3 2
2 5 4 4 4 5
2 8 13 13 14 8
2 8 13 13 13 8
2 17 16 16 11 17
2 17 16 16 16 17
2 22 16 16 18 17
2 23 13 13 19 8
2 24 24 24 25 24
2 24 24 24 24 24
2 26 24 24 26 24
2 9 9 9 10 27
2 9 9 9 9 27
2 11 9 9 11 27
2 12 12 12 12 28
2 27 9 9 10 27
2 27 9 9 9 27
2 29 9 9 11 27
2 28 12 12 12 28
2 24 24 24 25 30
2 24 24 24 24 30
2 26 24 24 26 30
2 30 24 24 25 30
2 30 24 24 24 30
2 31 24 24 26 30
3 32 33 34 33 35
3 36 37 38 37 39
3 40 41 42 41 43
3 44 45 46 45 47
3 48 33 34 33 49
3 50 37 38 37 51
3 52 41 42 41 53
3 54 55 56 55 55
3 36 37 38 37 37
3 40 41 42 41 41
3 44 45 46 45 45
3 32 33 34 33 33
3 33 33 33 33 35
3 37 37 37 37 39
3 41 41 41 41 43
3 45 45 45 45 47
3 49 33 33 33 49
3 51 37 37 37 51
3 53 41 41 41 53
3 55 55 55 55 55
3 37 37 37 37 37
3 41 41 41 41 41
3 45 45 45 45 45
3 33 33 33 33 33
3 34 33 34 33 35
3 38 37 38 37 39
3 42 41 42 41 43
3 46 45 46 45 47
3 57 33 34 33 49
3 58 37 38 37 51
3 59 41 42 41 53
3 56 55 56 55 55
3 38 37 38 37 37
3 42 41 42 41 41
3 46 45 46 45 45
3 34 33 34 33 33
3 60 61 62 61 61
3 61 61 61 61 61
3 62 61 62 61 61
3 63 64 65 64 66
3 67 64 65 64 68
3 69 70 71 70 70
3 63 64 65 64 64
3 64 64 64 64 66
3 68 64 64 64 68
3 70 70 70 70 70
3 64 64 64 64 64
3 65 64 65 64 66
3 72 64 65 64 68
3 71 70 71 70 70
3 65 64 65 64 64
3 73 45 46 45 74
3 74 45 45 45 74
3 75 45 46 45 74
3 76 77 78 77 79
3 76 77 78 77 77
3 77 77 77 77 79
3 77 77 77 77 77
3 78 77 78 77 79
3 78 77 78 77 77
3 80 81 82 81 83
3 80 81 82 81 81
3 81 81 81 81 83
3 81 81 81 81 81
3 82 81 82 81 83
3 82 81 82 81 81
3 84 77 78 77 85
3 85 77 77 77 85
3 86 77 78 77 85
3 87 81 82 81 88
3 88 81 81 81 88
3 89 81 82 81 88
4 90 91 92 93 92
4 94 95 96 96 96
4 97 98 99 100 99
4 101 98 99 99 99
4 102 103 104 105 104
4 106 107 108 108 108
4 109 110 111 112 111
4 113 110 111 111 111
4 114 115 116 117 116
4 118 119 120 120 120
4 121 122 123 124 123
4 125 122 123 123 123
4 92 92 92 93 92
4 96 96 96 96 96
4 126 99 99 100 99
4 99 99 99 99 99
4 104 104 104 105 104
4 108 108 108 108 108
4 127 111 111 112 111
4 111 111 111 111 111
4 116 116 116 117 116
4 120 120 120 120 120
4 128 123 123 124 123
4 123 123 123 123 123
4 129 129 92 93 92
4 130 130 96 96 96
4 131 132 99 100 99
4 132 132 99 99 99
4 133 133 104 105 104
4 134 134 108 108 108
4 135 136 111 112 111
4 136 136 111 111 111
4 137 137 116 117 116
4 138 138 120 120 120
4 139 140 123 124 123
4 140 140 123 123 123
4 101 98 99 100 99
4 113 110 111 112 111
4 125 122 123 124 123
4 99 99 99 100 99
4 111 111 111 112 111
4 123 123 123 124 123
4 132 132 99 100 99
4 136 136 111 112 111
4 140 140 123 124 123
4 94 95 96 141 96
4 106 107 108 142 108
4 118 119 120 143 120
4 96 96 96 141 96
4 108 108 108 142 108
4 120 120 120 143 120
4 130 130 96 141 96
4 134 134 108 142 108
4 138 138 120 143 120
4 144 91 92 93 92
4 145 98 99 100 99
4 146 103 104 105 104
4 147 110 111 112 111
4 148 115 116 117 116
4 149 122 123 124 123
4 93 92 92 93 92
4 100 99 99 100 99
4 105 104 104 105 104
4 112 111 111 112 111
4 117 116 116 117 116
4 124 123 123 124 123
4 150 129 92 93 92
4 151 132 99 100 99
4 152 133 104 105 104
4 153 136 111 112 111
4 154 137 116 117 116
4 155 140 123 124 123
4 156 95 96 141 96
4 157 107 108 142 108
4 158 119 120 143 120
4 141 96 96 141 96
4 142 108 108 142 108
4 143 120 120 143 120
4 159 130 96 141 96
4 160 134 108 142 108
4 161 138 120 143 120
4 90 91 92 92 92
4 102 103 104 104 104
4 114 115 116 116 116
4 92 92 92 92 92
4 104 104 104 104 104
4 116 116 116 116 116
4 129 129 92 92 92
4 133 133 104 104 104
4 137 137 116 116 116
5 162 163 164 165 165
5 166 167 168 169 169
5 170 171 172 173 173
5 174 175 176 177 177
5 178 179 180 181 181
5 182 183 184 185 185
5 186 187 188 189 189
5 190 191 192 193 193
5 194 195 196 197 197
5 198 165 164 165 165
5 199 169 168 169 169
5 200 173 172 173 173
5 201 177 176 177 177
5 202 181 180 181 181
5 203 185 184 185 185
5 204 189 188 189 189
5 205 193 192 193 193
5 206 197 196 197 197
5 207 163 164 165 165
5 208 167 168 169 169
5 209 171 172 173 173
5 210 175 176 177 177
5 211 179 180 181 181
5 212 183 184 185 185
5 213 187 188 189 189
5 214 191 192 193 193
5 215 195 196 197 197
5 216 163 217 165 165
5 218 167 219 169 169
5 220 171 221 173 173
5 222 175 223 177 177
5 224 179 225 181 181
5 226 183 227 185 185
5 228 187 229 189 189
5 230 191 231 193 193
5 232 195 233 197 197
5 217 165 217 165 165
5 219 169 219 169 169
5 221 173 221 173 173
5 223 177 223 177 177
5 225 181 225 181 181
5 227 185 227 185 185
5 229 189 229 189 189
5 231 193 231 193 193
5 233 197 233 197 197
5 234 163 217 165 165
5 235 167 219 169 169
5 236 171 221 173 173
5 237 175 223 177 177
5 238 179 225 181 181
5 239 183 227 185 185
5 240 187 229 189 189
5 241 191 231 193 193
5 242 195 233 197 197
5 243 163 165 165 165
5 244 167 169 169 169
5 245 171 173 173 173
5 246 175 177 177 177
5 247 179 181 181 181
5 248 183 185 185 185
5 249 187 189 189 189
5 250 191 193 193 193
5 251 195 197 197 197
5 165 165 165 165 165
5 169 169 169 169 169
5 173 173 173 173 173
5 177 177 177 177 177
5 181 181 181 181 181
5 185 185 185 185 185
5 189 189 189 189 189
5 193 193 193 193 193
5 197 197 197 197 197
5 163 163 165 165 165
5 167 167 169 169 169
5 171 171 173 173 173
5 175 175 177 177 177
5 179 179 181 181 181
5 183 183 185 185 185
5 187 187 189 189 189
5 191 191 193 193 193
5 195 195 197 197 197
6 252 253 253 253 254
6 255 256 256 256 257
6 258 259 259 259 260
6 261 262 262 262 263
6 264 265 265 265 266
6 267 268 268 268 269
6 270 271 271 271 272
6 273 274 274 274 275
6 276 277 277 277 278
6 279 280 280 280 281
6 282 283 283 283 284
6 285 286 286 286 287
6 288 289 289 289 290
6 291 292 292 292 293
6 294 295 295 295 296
6 297 298 298 298 299
6 300 301 301 301 302
6 303 304 304 304 305
6 306 307 307 307 308
6 309 310 310 310 311
6 312 313 313 313 314
6 315 316 316 316 317
6 318 319 319 319 320
6 321 322 322 322 323
6 324 325 325 325 326
6 327 328 328 328 329
6 330 331 331 331 332
7 333 334 334 335 334
7 336 337 337 338 337
7 339 340 340 341 340
7 342 343 343 344 343
7 345 346 346 347 346
7 348 349 349 350 349
7 351 352 352 353 352
7 354 355 355 356 355
7 357 358 358 359 358
8 360 361 362 361 361
8 363 364 365 364 364
8 366 367 368 367 367
9 369 370 371 371 371
alexv wrote:The import0.py imports two-state pattern into 5-states emulation and export0.py makes opposite conversion.
I tried out the import script on dmishin's animated GIF of spaceships, with miraculous results:

x = 228, y = 162, rule = MargSingRot
114.C$114.A2$113.B$116.CD2$114.C$114.A$116.C30$101.D2$99.D$98.AB.BAB$
100.C$100.A$131.D$130.A$134.CD2$131.D2.C.C$130.A27$112.C3.C$116.A$
112.C$113.BA3$98.CDC2$100.C$99.B$99.D2$81.D71.D2$81.DC69.C.C2$80.CD
67.D2.C$151.B2.A$81.DC70.D$81.B49.B2$130.A4.B$135.D$133.B$132.C2$176.
C26.D$173.B.B$177.D2.C.C$23.B23.B157.B$22.C28.D124.C25.CD$21.B26.A4.B
171.B.B$26.C$49.BA173.ABA$203.DC.C$7.B17.B174.A$.D.D17.D3.D$2.A2.B$
24.C200.D$6.A65.AB$79.D2$79.D$72.A.A77.AB.B4.AB$71.D7.D75.DC$72.A$49.
D$47.B2$93.B$47.D.D.D43.D3.DC31.C.C42.DC$94.A2.BA$132.C4.D$48.A84.B
43.B$C21.CDC23.C49.C37.C39.C.C$201.B$CD24.C176.D$21.BA176.B.B.B18.AB$
4.C196.D$.B2.A218.B.B$C2$2.C219.C.C4$76.C4.D71.D$49.B25.B75.B$49.D30.
C76.D$76.A81.AB$47.D2.C102.D.D21.D$50.A127.A.A$49.D127.D$178.A$50.C
126.D23.D2.C$20.A156.B24.A$22.C2.D177.D$22.A199.AB$204.CD$24.A197.A$C
5.C14.D201.D$.B.B.B$C221.C$222.A$3.DC$2.A!
It produced an out-of-range error on the first try, because I didn't know I had to change the rule manually before running the script.

alexv

Post by alexv » July 18th, 2014, 8:06 am

dvgrn wrote: It produced an out-of-range error on the first try, because I didn't know I had to change the rule manually before running the script.
I tried the pattern on Golly 2.4 - it works, but it is necessary to put it in appropriate place, because for
Margolus +/-1 change of x,y coordinates does matter.

What does it mean, change the rule manually? In such a case it would be other rule?

Alexander

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » July 18th, 2014, 8:49 am

alexv wrote:What does it mean, change the rule manually? In such a case it would be other rule?
Sorry, just meant that the script doesn't set the rule to "MargSingRot" before attempting to set cell states higher than 1. So if you've just pasted in a two-state pattern for conversion, you get an error unless you manually set the rule to "MargSingRot" first (or some other rule with the right number of states, anyway).

alexv

Post by alexv » July 18th, 2014, 8:53 am

In fact, strange story. I myself failed with 2.6. Open in 2.4, save in 2.4 and now pattern works both
in 2.4 and 2.6

#CXRLE Pos=0,0
x = 228, y = 162, rule = MargSingRot
114.C$114.A2$113.B$116.CD2$114.C$114.A$116.C30$101.D2$99.D$98.AB.BAB$
100.C$100.A$131.D$130.A$134.CD2$131.D2.C.C$130.A27$112.C3.C$116.A$
112.C$113.BA3$98.CDC2$100.C$99.B$99.D2$81.D71.D2$81.DC69.C.C2$80.CD
67.D2.C$151.B2.A$81.DC70.D$81.B49.B2$130.A4.B$135.D$133.B$132.C2$176.
C26.D$173.B.B$177.D2.C.C$23.B23.B157.B$22.C28.D124.C25.CD$21.B26.A4.B
171.B.B$26.C$49.BA173.ABA$203.DC.C$7.B17.B174.A$.D.D17.D3.D$2.A2.B$
24.C200.D$6.A65.AB$79.D2$79.D$72.A.A77.AB.B4.AB$71.D7.D75.DC$72.A$49.
D$47.B2$93.B$47.D.D.D43.D3.DC31.C.C42.DC$94.A2.BA$132.C4.D$48.A84.B
43.B$C21.CDC23.C49.C37.C39.C.C$201.B$CD24.C176.D$21.BA176.B.B.B18.AB$
4.C196.D$.B2.A218.B.B$C2$2.C219.C.C4$76.C4.D71.D$49.B25.B75.B$49.D30.
C76.D$76.A81.AB$47.D2.C102.D.D21.D$50.A127.A.A$49.D127.D$178.A$50.C
126.D23.D2.C$20.A156.B24.A$22.C2.D177.D$22.A199.AB$204.CD$24.A197.A$C
5.C14.D201.D$.B.B.B$C221.C$222.A$3.DC$2.A!
Alexander

alexv

Post by alexv » July 18th, 2014, 8:59 am

Script does not set the rule, because it is used for other Margolus rules with given kind of emulation as well.
The script is derived from analogous scripts in Margolus folder of Golly. BTW, a comparison of the scripts
may be useful for illustrating difference in emulation methods.

It is also may be used for correction of states of cells, e.g. you may use random fill and run the script.

Alexander