Let's create a language!

A forum where anything goes. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. This is the forum for "non-academic" content.
Hunting

Re: Let's create a language!

Post by Hunting » October 21st, 2020, 11:09 pm

STOP! Neither of you are listening to each other. If you two continue to show this kind of behaviour, we won't reach any consensus.

Settled in stone are below:

e = /ɛ/
a = /ɐ/
i = /ɪ/
c = /t̠ʃ/
ch = /x/
d = /d/

English don't have zh anyway, so I don't see why do we need it.

--

Oh, I know what is the letter C argument about. BokaBB can't type t̠ʃ with his device so he used ts for substitution. Problem solved!

I purpose repeating a letter to indicate "natural sound", i. e. aa -> /a/, ee -> /e/. But let's worry about that later.

Name suggestion: Bokian

Saka

Post by Saka » October 22nd, 2020, 3:51 am

My apologies but I couldn't resist from noticing this:
Hunting wrote:
October 21st, 2020, 11:09 pm

--

I purpose repeating a letter to indicate "natural sound", i. e. aa -> /a/, ee -> /e/. But let's worry about that later.
??So what? English doesn't have a bunch of things that many, many, many other languages do. Some languages have tones, English does not. English does not have the alveolar trill as a phoneme, while many languages do. And I am assuming by "zh" you mean the sound /ʒ/? English (In most dialects anyway,) does have that sound, a common example is in "vision", which many people pronounce [ˈvɪʒən].

What the heck is "natural sound"? If we are not going to make a distinction between /ɐ/ and /a/, or /ɛ/ and /e/, there is no need to have a way to write them.

Anyway I will not contribute to this language if it stays like this. To sort things out here's another link to the document
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... FW1zm/edit

I've added the phonemes and romanizations that Hunting claims have been "set in stone" above. I've made it editable by anyone with the link.

Schiaparelliorbust

Post by Schiaparelliorbust » October 22nd, 2020, 4:04 am

Saka wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 3:51 am
My apologies but I couldn't resist from noticing this:
Hunting wrote:

--

??So what? English doesn't have a bunch of things that many, many, many other languages do. Some languages have tones, English does not. English does not have the alveolar trill as a phoneme, while many languages do. And I am assuming by "zh" you mean the sound /ʒ/? English (In most dialects anyway,) does have that sound, a common example is in "vision", which many people pronounce [ˈvɪʒən].

What the heck is "natural sound"? If we are not going to make a distinction between /ɐ/ and /a/, or /ɛ/ and /e/, there is no need to have a way to write them.

Anyway I will not contribute to this language if it stays like this. To sort things out here's another link to the document
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... FW1zm/edit

I've added the phonemes and romanizations that Hunting claims have been "set in stone" above. I've made it editable by anyone with the link.
Yes, we shouldn't limit our language based on other existing languages. Maybe natural sound means longer sound?
Hunting wrote:
STOP! Neither of you are listening to each other. If you two continue to show this kind of behaviour, we won't reach any consensus.

e = /ɛ/
a = /ɐ/
i = /ɪ/
c = /t̠ʃ/
ch = /x/
d = /d/

--

Oh, I know what is the letter C argument about. BokaBB can't type t̠ʃ with his device so he used ts for substitution. Problem solved!

Those sounds sound good. Also:
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere

Hunting

Post by Hunting » October 22nd, 2020, 4:22 am

Saka wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 3:51 am
Why are we not going to make a distinction between /ɐ/ and /a/, or /ɛ/ and /e/? The two pairs are very different sounds. If you don't agree with my idea, explain your reasoning, but don't be rude and don't threaten others. Letter A is pronounced /ɐ/ as of now (same for letter E), but BokaBB wants an /a/ sound (because it is "more natural" - same for E), so this is a solution of that problem. So didn't you get what's "natural sound" from my two examples?
Last edited by Hunting on October 22nd, 2020, 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Schiaparelliorbust

Post by Schiaparelliorbust » October 22nd, 2020, 4:26 am

Hunting wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 4:22 am
Why are we not going to make a distinction between /ɐ/ and /a/, or /ɛ/ and /e/? If you don't agree with my idea, explain your reasoning. Letter A is pronounced /ɐ/ as of now (same for letter E), but BokaBB wants an /a/ sound (because it is "more natural" - same for E), so this is a solution of that problem. So didn't you get what's "natural sound" from my two examples?
Natural is subjective - I think should stop using the term. Also MathAndCode said we could use diacritics instead of diagraphs. I think that sounds reasonable.
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere

Saka

Post by Saka » October 22nd, 2020, 4:33 am

Hunting wrote:

Why are we not going to make a distinction between /ɐ/ and /a/, or /ɛ/ and /e/? The two pairs are very different sounds. If you don't agree with my idea, explain your reasoning, but don't be rude and don't threaten others. Letter A is pronounced /ɐ/ as of now (same for letter E), but BokaBB wants an /a/ sound (because it is "more natural" - same for E), so this is a solution of that problem. So didn't you get what's "natural sound" from my two examples?
Apologies for sounding rude (Although I was meaning to be a bit rude there, not gonna lie),
I was not aware that a distinction for /ɐ/ and /a/ or /ɛ/ and /e/ was wanted (I haven't been following this thread very much). However I will nitpick that "The two pairs are very different sounds." is pretty subjective as well. Also, I would also like to request you to not use "natural", and just say "How about ee for /ɛ/"
Schiaparelliorbust wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 4:26 am
Also MathAndCode said we could use diacritics instead of diagraphs. I think that sounds reasonable.
The thing with diacritics though, is some people are going to have to copy and paste some characters, which can be somewhat tedious.

Hunting

Post by Hunting » October 22nd, 2020, 4:35 am

Hunting wrote:
Why are we not going to make a distinction between /ɐ/ and /a/, or /ɛ/ and /e/? If you don't agree with my idea, explain your reasoning. Letter A is pronounced /ɐ/ as of now (same for letter E), but BokaBB wants an /a/ sound (because it is "more natural" - same for E), so this is a solution of that problem. So didn't you get what's "natural sound" from my two examples?
Natural is subjective - I think should stop using the term. Also MathAndCode said we could use diacritics instead of diagraphs. I think that sounds reasonable.
The term is comes from BokaBB (albeit not directly), not me - yes, we should stop using the term.

Switching now to diacritics is too late IMO - we've been working on this language assuming its a Latin letters language. (Creating a dialect later with diacritics is also possible)

Schiaparelliorbust

Post by Schiaparelliorbust » October 22nd, 2020, 4:37 am

Saka wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 4:33 am
Hunting wrote:

Apologies for sounding rude (Although I was meaning to be a bit rude there, not gonna lie),
I was not aware that a distinction for /ɐ/ and /a/ or /ɛ/ and /e/ was wanted (I haven't been following this thread very much). However I will nitpick that "The two pairs are very different sounds." is pretty subjective as well. Also, I would also like to request you to not use "natural", and just say "How about ee for /ɛ/"
Also MathAndCode said we could use diacritics instead of diagraphs. I think that sounds reasonable.
The thing with diacritics though, is some people are going to have to copy and paste some characters, which can be somewhat tedious.
The two pairs are objectively different sounds. About digraphs, you do have a point. What is your suggestion for writing the different sounds?
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere

Hunting

Post by Hunting » October 22nd, 2020, 4:49 am

Saka wrote:
1. However I will nitpick that "The two pairs are very different sounds." is pretty subjective as well. Also, I would also like to request you to not use "natural", and just say "How about ee for /ɛ/"

2. The thing with diacritics though, is some people are going to have to copy and paste some characters, which can be somewhat tedious.
1. Not that subjective - /6/ is Near-open central vowel, /a/ is Open front unrounded vowel. And okay.

2. Yes.

Schiaparelliorbust

Post by Schiaparelliorbust » October 22nd, 2020, 4:58 am

Hunting wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 4:49 am
Saka wrote:
1. However I will nitpick that "The two pairs are very different sounds." is pretty subjective as well. Also, I would also like to request you to not use "natural", and just say "How about ee for /ɛ/"

2. The thing with diacritics though, is some people are going to have to copy and paste some characters, which can be somewhat tedious.
1. Not that subjective - /6/ is Near-open central vowel, /a/ is Open front unrounded vowel. And okay.

2. Yes.
The sounds they produce is obviously different. Anyways, is everybody okay with j being /dʒ/ and zh being /ʒ/?
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere

Hunting

Post by Hunting » October 22nd, 2020, 5:01 am

October 22nd, 2020, 4:58 am
Hunting wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 4:49 am
Saka wrote:

2. Yes.
The sounds they produce is obviously different. Anyways, is everybody okay with j being /dʒ/ and zh being /ʒ/?
Agree. No objections on f, g, and h, right?

Schiaparelliorbust

Post by Schiaparelliorbust » October 22nd, 2020, 5:06 am

Hunting wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 5:01 am
None. Y is /j/? Also, can anyone hear the difference between /ʃ/ and /ʂ/? They are the:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiceless ... _fricative
and
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere

Hunting

Post by Hunting » October 22nd, 2020, 5:13 am

October 22nd, 2020, 5:06 am
Hunting wrote:
None. Y is /j/? Also, can anyone hear the difference between /ʃ/ and /ʂ/? They are the:
and
I can - /ʂ/ is softer.

Schiaparelliorbust

Post by Schiaparelliorbust » October 22nd, 2020, 5:19 am

Hunting wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 5:13 am
and
I can - /ʂ/ is softer.
I may be able to hear the difference, I'm not sure, but I can't reliably pronounce the two differently. I'm asking again - y is /j/, right?
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere

Hunting

Post by Hunting » October 22nd, 2020, 5:21 am

October 22nd, 2020, 5:19 am
Hunting wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 5:13 am
and
I can - /ʂ/ is softer.
I may be able to hear the difference, I'm not sure, but I can't reliably pronounce the two differently. I'm asking again - y is /j/, right?
No objections.

Schiaparelliorbust

Post by Schiaparelliorbust » October 22nd, 2020, 5:28 am

Ok then. Please vote on the sounds as I did a few posts back. Add anything else that you think needs resolving, too.
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere

Hunting

Post by Hunting » October 22nd, 2020, 5:36 am

October 22nd, 2020, 5:28 am
Ok then. Please vote on the sounds as I did a few posts back. Add anything else that you think needs resolving, too.
Can you summarize them?

Schiaparelliorbust

Post by Schiaparelliorbust » October 22nd, 2020, 5:40 am

October 21st, 2020, 1:01 pm
I'm not sure about Saka but Moosey sure has contributed.
e = /ɛ/
a = /ɐ/
i = /ɪ/
ch = /x/
zh = /d̠ʒ/ or /ʒ/
j = /d̠ʒ/ or /ʒ/
ae = /a/
y = /j/
c = /t̠ʃ/
sh = /ʂ/

Let's also vote on whether we should have w (/w/) and th (/θ/ and/or /ð/). Give my vote on j and zh to the majority. For your vote to count, please write the sounds in IPA.
This was my post.
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere

Hunting

Post by Hunting » October 22nd, 2020, 5:55 am

October 22nd, 2020, 5:40 am
October 21st, 2020, 1:01 pm
I'm not sure about Saka but Moosey sure has contributed.
e = /ɛ/
a = /ɐ/
i = /ɪ/
ch = /x/
zh = /d̠ʒ/ or /ʒ/
j = /d̠ʒ/ or /ʒ/
ae = /a/
y = /j/
c = /t̠ʃ/
sh = /ʂ/

Let's also vote on whether we should have w (/w/) and th (/θ/ and/or /ð/). Give my vote on j and zh to the majority. For your vote to count, please write the sounds in IPA.
This was my post.
Yes, we should have w and no we should not have th (this sound sounds nasty)

Schiaparelliorbust

Post by Schiaparelliorbust » October 22nd, 2020, 5:58 am

Hunting wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 5:55 am
Yes, we should have w and no we should not have th (this sound sounds nasty)
So neither /θ/ or /ð/, and other than that, no objections? /θ/ is the th in think and /ð/ is the th in father.
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » October 22nd, 2020, 6:37 am

Hunting wrote:

e = /ɛ/
a = /ɐ/
i = /ɪ/
c = /t̠ʃ/
ch = /x/
d = /d/

--

No. ts is a different IPA sound.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » October 22nd, 2020, 6:41 am

Hunting wrote:
and
S with curve is stronger and harder.
We will not progress unless we settle on something. A is /a/,e /e/ and i /i/. Ae is rotated a. I won't allow the language to be without /a/. A is the most logical orthography. I can allow digraphs for other sounds,but I want the basic ones to be like this.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Have a good day!

BokaBB

Schiaparelliorbust

Post by Schiaparelliorbust » October 22nd, 2020, 6:50 am

BokaBB wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 6:37 am
Hunting wrote:

e = /ɛ/
a = /ɐ/
i = /ɪ/
c = /t̠ʃ/
ch = /x/
d = /d/

--

Have a good day!

BokaBB
Is this the ts:/ʈʂ/?
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » October 22nd, 2020, 6:51 am

October 22nd, 2020, 6:50 am
BokaBB wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 6:37 am
Hunting wrote:

e = /ɛ/
a = /ɐ/
i = /ɪ/
c = /t̠ʃ/
ch = /x/
d = /d/

--

Have a good day!

BokaBB
Is this the ts:/ʈʂ/?
No,it is indeed written just /ts/.
Elkeo beo rigeu!

BokaBB
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Have a good day!

BokaBB

Moosey

Post by Moosey » October 22nd, 2020, 8:12 am

BokaBB wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 6:41 am
We will not progress unless we settle on something. A is /a/,e /e/ and i /i/. Ae is rotated a.
Nooooooooooooo

A should be /ɒ/ and E should be /ɛ/. Maybe AE should be /a/
not active here but active on discord