Thread for your script-related questions

For scripts to aid with computation or simulation in cellular automata.
dvgrn

Re: Thread for your script-related questions

Post by dvgrn » April 22nd, 2019, 6:01 pm

googoIpIex wrote:how do I add custom puzzles to Seeds of Destruction?
Copy a puzzle in LifeHistory format from Golly, open the SoD GUI, fiddle with the mousewheel so that the Puzzle/Seed button reads "Puzzle", and click the "Puzzle" button.

-- Unless you mean adding new puzzles to the default set of puzzles that come with the SoDGame. Someone else would have to answer that one. Mysterious things have always gone wrong when I've tried to recompile that Java application... but mostly it's just that all the extra curly braces and semicolons start giving me the cold shudders, and I stop trying too soon.

Gustone

Post by Gustone » May 10th, 2019, 6:44 am

How do I make Golly recognise Python?
I like making color palettes for rules

Moosey

Post by Moosey » May 10th, 2019, 7:49 am

Gustone wrote:How do I make Golly recognise Python?
Just go to the open pattern thing and then go wherever (i.e. basically anywhere on your files) your python script is, whether in Golly or not.
I am a prolific creator of many rather pathetic googological functions

My CA rules can be found here

Also, the tree game
Bill Watterson once wrote: "How do soldiers killing each other solve the world's problems?"

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » May 10th, 2019, 9:03 am

Moosey wrote:
Gustone wrote:How do I make Golly recognise Python?
Just go to the open pattern thing and then go wherever (i.e. basically anywhere on your files) your python script is, whether in Golly or not.
Or, if that didn't answer your question -- install Python, making very very sure sure that you install the version of Python 2.7.16 that matches your version of Golly. I.e., 32-bit Python if your Golly is 32-bit, or 64-bit Python if your Golly is 64-bit. You find that out by checking the status bar when you first open Golly.

Gustone

Post by Gustone » May 10th, 2019, 12:55 pm

dvgrn wrote:install Python, making very very sure sure that you install the version of Python 2.7.16 that matches your version of Golly. I.e., 32-bit Python if your Golly is 32-bit, or 64-bit Python if your Golly is 64-bit.
oh fjord thats why it didnt work python was 64 golly was 32
I like making color palettes for rules

LaundryPizza03
Location: Unidentified location "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas"

Post by LaundryPizza03 » August 5th, 2019, 7:20 am

What is the best script for completing a 9c/10 orthogonal spaceship partial? (At least two partials, of width 21, have been found. I know that ntzfind and ntgfind don't work. I'd prefer something fully automated.)

Code: Select all

x = 4, y = 3, rule = B3-q4z5y/S234k5j
2b2o$b2o$2o!
LaundryPizza03 at Wikipedia

testitemqlstudop

Post by testitemqlstudop » August 5th, 2019, 9:21 pm

If you are going to search for 9c/10 in a broad range of rules then use LLS. Otherwise it might be feasible to incrementally brute-force enumerate which successor row makes the partial "go further".

CoolCreeper39

Post by CoolCreeper39 » August 8th, 2019, 4:17 pm

Is there any way to make a script that checks for the longest-lived methuselahs in a rule, within an n-cell bounding box?

wildmyron

Post by wildmyron » August 9th, 2019, 12:50 am

CoolCreeper39 wrote:Is there any way to make a script that checks for the longest-lived methuselahs in a rule, within an n-cell bounding box?
This is definitely possible. The most optimized published program for methuselah searching is this one by simeks. It is CGoL only and written in C (and assembly?), but if you're interested in optimized algorithms it's the best I'm aware of.

There are probably more general implementations published somewhere here, but I can't seem to find any after a brief search through the forums. You'll need two main parts to for this script:

- An enumeration of all patterns (of a given cell count?) within a given bounding box. A naive implementation of this is very simple, but you'll want to avoid testing the same pattern multiple times.

- A way to run a pattern to stabilisation and detect when the pattern stabilised. This is the tricky bit, particularly given the need to deal with linear growth. You could look at apgsearch for ideas as well as simeks program. apgsearch actually has two algorithms for this process: stabilise3() to give an estimate of the time to stabilisation (almost always an overestimate except for patterns in very long lived rules) and methudetect() which gives a fairly accurate stabilisation time (but is only used for CGoL).
The latest version of the 5S Project contains over 221,000 spaceships. Tabulated pages up to period 160 are available on the LifeWiki.