Reviving lifesrc?

For scripts to aid with computation or simulation in cellular automata.
Scorbie

Reviving lifesrc?

Post by Scorbie » January 14th, 2016, 11:47 am

Well, lifesrc is an old program, and the ones used now are mostly WinLifeSearch and JavaLifeSearch. However, after I switched to linux (for hardware restrictions, actually) lifesrc is the best one available. (My computer chokes on Java.)
Therefore I thought it would be a good idea to revive lifesrc, add a Golly frontend and make it cross-platform probably by removing the ncurses dependency. (Edit: lifesrcdumb seems to be ncurses-stripped.) It would be easier to tweak and compile even if you are on Windows.

@Dean
I heard you made a tweak of lifesrc that adds partial subperiod searching (just as in JLS) Could you share it with us? Did it survive in your hard drive over the years...?

EDIT: Has anybody compiled lifesrc on Windows? Does "lifesrcdumb" compile well? Thanks in advance...

John

Re: Reviving lifesrc?

Post by John » January 31st, 2016, 12:39 pm

I like the idea. I'm moving over to linux soon, but am using arch and keep getting distracted by other projects, so i'm sure it'll take awhile. I made a minimal effort attempt at compiling lifesrc on windows that didn't work. not sure where I left off on that one.
-John Cerkan

John

Re: Reviving lifesrc?

Post by John » February 18th, 2016, 12:05 pm

I hadn't tried to compile lifesrcdumb. It does seem to compile. (win 7, pelles c, no makefile) I don't really know what I'm doing, but I think I had to add types to a few function arguments ... I copied a few things around ... but it's working. Adding -a allows it to find subperiods.
-John Cerkan