Attribution, citations, and reference requirements

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
MXMLLN

Attribution, citations, and reference requirements

Post by MXMLLN » January 19th, 2024, 5:47 pm

How do I do attribution for GOL work?
For example, if I save someone's GIF output from Discord, how would I give them credit if I use their animation in a powerpoint presentation?

Para

Re: Attribution, citations, and reference requirements

Post by Para » January 19th, 2024, 6:31 pm

MXMLLN wrote:
January 19th, 2024, 5:47 pm
How do I do attribution for GOL work?
For example, if I save someone's GIF output from Discord, how would I give them credit if I use their animation in a powerpoint presentation?
A GIF made by Caterer requires no attribution - anyone can create it with the RLE. Now, if there's a pattern in that GIF, it's generally a good idea to credit the discoverer of it.

Code: Select all

x = 9, y = 19, rule = B3-qy4e5j6i/S2-cn3-k4i
3$3bo$2b3o2$3bo$4b2o4$3bo$2b2o!

MXMLLN

Post by MXMLLN » January 21st, 2024, 3:31 am

Para wrote:
January 19th, 2024, 6:31 pm
If there's a pattern in that GIF, it's generally a good idea to credit the discoverer of it.
I thought I knew what a "pattern" was, but when you use it that way, I'm not so sure.

Won't virtually every Caterer GIF in the forum have a pattern? Presumably people test mostly offline, then share their discovered patterns on the forums (or Discord) ???

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » January 21st, 2024, 6:14 am

People here rarely use gifs/pictures to share the patterns. The most common, and preferred, way to post a pattern is to post the RLE of the pattern, copied and pasted from Golly or another compatible simulator. This way, other people can directly copy and paste the pattern into a program and run it, or run it directly in the browser in LifeViewer.

For example, here is the RLE of R-pentomino (the link "show in viewer" can be used to view it):

Code: Select all

x = 3, y = 3, rule = B3/S23
b2o$2o$bo!
No gifs needed.
MXMLLN wrote:
January 21st, 2024, 3:31 am
Para wrote:
January 19th, 2024, 6:31 pm
If there's a pattern in that GIF, it's generally a good idea to credit the discoverer of it.
I thought I knew what a "pattern" was, but when you use it that way, I'm not so sure.

Won't virtually every Caterer GIF in the forum have a pattern? Presumably people test mostly offline, then share their discovered patterns on the forums (or Discord) ???
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.

MXMLLN

Post by MXMLLN » January 22nd, 2024, 4:50 pm

confocaloid wrote:
January 21st, 2024, 6:14 am
People here rarely use gifs/pictures to share the patterns. The most common, and preferred, way to post a pattern is to post the RLE of the pattern, copied and pasted from Golly or another compatible simulator.
My use case is more about posting outside the community, ie, not on the wiki, forum, or Discord.
The best example is probably an animation in a powerpoint presentation. How would you create a reference for that or in an academic publication?

The question of attribution is the same for a lot of "external" projects posted on the wiki, eg, Conway Story Mode, the documentary, an online store, &c
Last edited by MXMLLN on January 23rd, 2024, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HerscheltheHerschel

Post by HerscheltheHerschel » January 23rd, 2024, 6:05 am

MXMLLN wrote:
January 21st, 2024, 3:31 am
Caterer GIF in the forum
Caterer is a discord bot. It doesn't exist on the forums.
superstrings, fuses, waves, wicks, and agars are cool
30P5H2V0 IS A BAD, UNMEMORIZABLE NAME
moved to new account hth

azulavoir

Post by azulavoir » January 23rd, 2024, 3:51 pm

MXMLLN wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 4:50 pm

My use case is more about posting outside the community, ie, not on the wiki, forum, or Discord.
The best example is probably an animation in a powerpoint presentation. How would you create the pattern finder for that? What about references in an academic publication?

The question of attribution is the same for a lot of "external" projects posted on the wiki, eg, Conway Story Mode, the documentary, an online store, &c
What exactly do you mean pattern finder?

MXMLLN

Post by MXMLLN » January 23rd, 2024, 5:47 pm

azulavoir wrote:
January 23rd, 2024, 3:51 pm
MXMLLN wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 4:50 pm

The best example is probably an animation in a powerpoint presentation. How would you create the pattern finder for that?
What exactly do you mean pattern finder?
Apologies for the typo. I actually don't know what that sentence was supposed to say.

Basically, how would you reference someone's work in a PowerPoint presentation or academic publication?