paulrw63's pattern names

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
muzik

paulrw63's pattern names

Post by muzik » December 24th, 2021, 11:45 am

There have been quite a few remarks on pattern names in the comments of Catagolue throughout the years, originating from the rather interesting figure that is paulrw63. While some of these are clearly defined, this thread is mainly dedicated to solving the somewhat cryptic list of pattern names posted under Copperhead's entry:
Names like ROWLAND EMMETT'S FUNICULAR, PILEDRIVER, ROSE WINDOW, FERN LEAF, WOLF TRAP, THE CONJOINED, WELLDRILLER, HORNET HIVE, MANHATTEN PROJECT, MACE, BROADWAY, FROG BOG, LINCOLN TUNNEL, SEWING MACHINE, THE LION OF BELFORT, RADIOLARIAN, SIGNAL INJECTOR, PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE, TV TEST PATTERN, INTERNAL COMBUSTION (the last from a defective website that would NOT show a pattern named this, so I put the monicker on an appropiate P13 osc.),WILY COYOTE, ///
The only thing we have to go off of from this comment directly is "internal combustion", which may be a p13; I've checked and can't seem to find which p13 is being referenced here (Belchunko's p13 is called "BAT", and Buckingham's p13 "FLYTRAP", and the other two p13 oscillators on the wiki have no relevant comments). As such, it's likely that this name was reused for another pattern which ultimately was not a p13.

Unfortunately Catagolue doesn't have a search option, so if he did end up commenting these names under given patterns then we currently wouldn't know.

----

Another rather important thing I'd like to address is his statement on the naming of what is currently referred to as R2-D2:
This is NOT R2D2 despite what the inadequate LifeWiki says. It is C3P0. You can't radically alter an oscillator and say it's the same oscillator. Several oscillators have endless extendability, but R2D2 and C3PO are two totally different birds, and have separate listings on my Master Index.
I find this statement to be rather intriguing, but can't seem to find anything backing it up so far. Is this true? If we can find any other proof of this being the case, a page split (or at least clarification) may be in order. I'd be all for referring to these stator variants with these distinct names, but am probably the only one who thinks so.

GUYTU6J

Re: paulrw63's pattern names

Post by GUYTU6J » February 10th, 2022, 1:32 pm

Firstly, this awfully serious topic should be moved to sandbox. Secondly, do note that some of the older catagolue comments may have been deleted for whatever reasons including spamming, so some of the names may never be figured out except if MadMan reveals himself.
Before going to sleep, the list of names that I have snipped are:
Two eaters - MUTUAL CANNIBALISM
Sixty-nine - SPIN THE BOTTLE
Octagon 4 - HORNET HIVE
Boss - WRISTWATCH
Silver's p5 - DENDRON
Hooks - SPOON-FED
Light speed oscillator 1 - BROADWAY
Toaster - MORTAR
44P7.2 - HEARTBEAT
38P7.2 - BZZZAP
28P7.1 - SEWING MACHINE
28P7.2 - TIE THE KNOT
29P9 - COLLECTIVE
38P11.1 - MILLENIUM FALCON
Honey thieves - OVID
Jason's p22 - TRAPEZE ARTISTS
48P22 - CLOUD CHAMBER
p29 pre-pulsar shuttle - ODDJOB
Hectic - ZYRTIC
p44 pi-heptomino hassler - REJIVENATOR
Achim's p11 - TV TEST PATTERN
112P15 - TV TEST PATTERN 2
And then some names were duplicated:
Beluchenko's p40 and Achim's p144 - DR.SEUSS
Snacker and Worker bee - Motormouth Reporter

On Babbling brook 1 and Pedestle, he mentioned "FARO GAME", "DAGWOOD SANDWICH" and "HOLDING PATTERN".
Finally, the R2D2 was named for a larger stator variant that does resemble the robot, as was explained here.