Isotropic, Euclidean, Relativistic, Quantum Game of Life

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
Abstractness

Isotropic, Euclidean, Relativistic, Quantum Game of Life

Post by Abstractness » October 9th, 2021, 3:39 pm

It is possible to build a simple game of life that is isotropic, euclidean, relativistic, and happens to also contain quantum superposition. All these real life properties together, emerging from some simple rules. If you want to build such a game you would just have to read and understand the structures that are presented in this new paper: https://arxiv.org/pdf/2110.03388.pdf

Redstoneboi

Re: Isotropic, Euclidean, Relativistic, Quantum Game of Life

Post by Redstoneboi » November 18th, 2021, 11:02 am

Does such a game already exist yet? If you're not sure, try searching for one first.
If not, how would you go about creating one? Do you have the necessary skills or do you need assistance?
Lastly, would you mind explaining the paper to us to make it easier to understand?
c(>^w^<c)~*
This is 「Fluffy」
「Fluffy」is my sutando.
「Fluffy」has the ability to engineer r e p l i c a t o r s.
「Fluffy」likes to watch spaceship guns in Golly.
「Fluffy」knows Natsuki best girl.

Abstractness

Post by Abstractness » November 18th, 2021, 12:46 pm

Redstoneboi wrote:
November 18th, 2021, 11:02 am
Does such a game already exist yet? If you're not sure, try searching for one first.
There exist isotropic GoL and quantum GoL and asynchronous GoL and so on, but probably not a GoL that is simultaneousely isotropic, relativistic, and would result in quantum superpositions.
Redstoneboi wrote:
If not, how would you go about creating one?
Firstly, one would have to understand the graphs presented in the paper. The mathematical proofs can be skipped. These graphs replace the simple original GoL grid as well as the simple synchronous time. Rather than 3+1 dimensions, one could just use 2+1 dimensions. Once such a space-time is implemented one has to figure out some new Conway-like rules that lead to interesting behavior.
Redstoneboi wrote:
Do you have the necessary skills or do you need assistance?
I have too many skills but no time. So if someone wants to do this, go ahead. It might lead to a more advanced understanding of particle physics.

Ohhhhhhhhh

Post by Ohhhhhhhhh » November 20th, 2021, 2:15 am

First, how do we make a program to simulate this? This will be really essencial for future studying. If you have one, please post it right here.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

something useless:

Code: Select all

#CXRLE Pos=-8,-6
x = 11, y = 10, rule = B3/S23
5bo$6bo$4b3o$9b2o$9b2o3$3o$2bo$bo!

Macbi

Post by Macbi » November 21st, 2021, 6:29 am

The difficulty would be that simulating quantum systems with classical computers requires exponential time (at least as far as we know).

Abstractness

Post by Abstractness » November 21st, 2021, 3:05 pm

Ohhhhhhhhh wrote:
November 20th, 2021, 2:15 am
First, how do we make a program to simulate this? This will be really essencial for future studying. If you have one, please post it right here.
There are mainly two different appoaches, both of which could be valuable in their own way:

Approach 1: Using the software tools provided by the recent great project that Wolfram named after himself: https://www.wolframphysics.org/
Even though Wolfram is known for life-like automata, the Wolfram physics project is based on a graph rewriting system rather than cellular automata. If you like GoL, you probably also like playing around with these graph rewriting systems.
Both, the Wolfram models, as well as the graphs in the paper, were built to be as easily understandable as possible.
The next steps are:
-step 1. Understand both, the Wolfram models, as well as the graphs in the paper.
-step 2. Figure out the Wolfram model rules that will maintain the graph in the paper or something similar to it.
-step 3. Use Wolfram's software tools to run such a mini-universe starting from the big bang.
-step 4. Brag about being the first one to ever have created a universe that is truly relativistic and isotropic.
Afterwards, much research by others can follow on the properties of such universes.

Approach 2: A different approach, more similar to the GoL, is to just use your programming language of choice to implement exactly the graph in the paper. It's also doable since the graphs in the paper can be generated from simple rules. Then figure out some GoL-like rules to play the GoL on top of it. Knowing quantum physics would be recommended here. Then play around to show off some form of particle physics and brag about being the first to ever have pulled this off.
Last edited by Abstractness on April 22nd, 2022, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abstractness

Post by Abstractness » November 21st, 2021, 3:10 pm

Macbi wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 6:29 am
The difficulty would be that simulating quantum systems with classical computers requires exponential time (at least as far as we know).
Even though quantum systems were not the main goal of the paper, exponentials indeed appeared in the paper, which indicates the connections to quantum systems.

Redstoneboi

Post by Redstoneboi » November 25th, 2021, 10:44 pm

Abstractness wrote:
November 18th, 2021, 12:46 pm
I have too many skills but no time. So if someone wants to do this, go ahead. It might lead to a more advanced understanding of particle physics.
Do you have anything we can look at to see those skills? Judging by how you have no time, surely you must be working on something even more grand than even this, right?
c(>^w^<c)~*
This is 「Fluffy」
「Fluffy」is my sutando.
「Fluffy」has the ability to engineer r e p l i c a t o r s.
「Fluffy」likes to watch spaceship guns in Golly.
「Fluffy」knows Natsuki best girl.

qqd

Post by qqd » October 8th, 2022, 6:24 am

Very interesting. I can clearly see Bell's theorem as a drawback, but I think simulating a single quantum spin is possible with PRNGS (except probability based)?
I think we need a computer that does complex number calculations for this, but that's easy to implement (unless it's too big of a pattern).
My new p2p:

Code: Select all

x = 20, y = 13, rule = B3/S23
4bo5b2obo$2b3o5bob2o$bo14b2o$bo2b3o4b3o2bobo$2obo3bo2bo3bobobo$3bo3b4o
3bobob2o$3bo3bo2bo3bobobo$4b3o4b3o2bobo$16b2o$4b3o4b3o$4bo2bo3bo2bo$6b
obo4bobo$7bo6bo!