Game of Life and Maths

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
laloaraujo

Game of Life and Maths

Post by laloaraujo » April 3rd, 2021, 3:37 pm

Hi, people!
I am studying Mathematics at Licentiate Degree and liked to develop my research on Game of Life.
I have doubts because my course forms math teachers and I would have to address mathematical applications of the Game of Life in the classroom.
I appreciate any idea.
Thanks!

dvgrn

Re: Game of Life and Maths

Post by dvgrn » April 3rd, 2021, 4:00 pm

laloaraujo wrote:
April 3rd, 2021, 3:37 pm
Hi, people!
I am studying Mathematics at Licentiate Degree and liked to develop my research on Game of Life.
I have doubts because my course forms math teachers and I would have to address mathematical applications of the Game of Life in the classroom.
I appreciate any idea.
Thanks!
Conway's Life has fairly well-developed tools demonstrating universal computation now. If you want to try a deeper dive with a little bit of programming in it (in a Life-specific language called "APGsembly" that has fewer active users than almost any other programming language in existence) then it's certainly possible to build Life patterns to calculate things that are a bit more complicated than just the digits of pi or phi.

The LifeWiki APGsembly article needs an update, now that I look at it. APGsembly 2.0 syntax has been developed, though the compiler/emulator code for it is still a work in progress. I'm more likely to get around to improving the documentation and tools if you ask questions about it.

Dylan Chen

Re: Game of Life and Maths

Post by Dylan Chen » April 3rd, 2021, 6:13 pm

If what you want is academic math research, here is a book https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/ ... 4996-217-9
that the 40th anniversary book, it contains some first-hand history about 1970± Life and several academic questions that I have been wondering since I join the community.
Stories and Logical theory is always attracting.

If you like statistics,
Here is the "prediction" I made for certain apgsearch patterns
the assumed boundary of megasize is 364h, for messless is 88h, and for Methuselah is 288k.

If you have any question with the terminology
Check https://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/Main_Page
This is the official wiki, some interesting news could be found, like
did you know that 'that the odds of a randomly-chosen 20×20 soup pattern being a methuselah that lasts between 1000N and 1000(N+1) ticks, is roughly the same as the odds that it will last any amount of time longer than 1000(N+1) ticks?'

You can also check the official discord channel, we have a math sub-channel dedicated to math, and you are free to join other CA related discussion.https://discord.gg/BCuYCEn
Tools should not be the limit.
Whether your obstacle is a script, an stdin, or Linux environment computing resouces.
check New rules thread for help.