Good way to memorize patterns? Question from a beginner

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
Kaje

Good way to memorize patterns? Question from a beginner

Post by Kaje » May 8th, 2020, 12:35 pm

Hello, everyone. I am a freshman in Game of Life and I just love playing around with it. So far, I could memorize a few easy patterns such like gliders, honeyhives, etc.

Any tips on how I would memorize the more complex patterns? Like the gun for example. Do you use any tricks for that or just repetition? I am glad for any help. Thank you in advance. :D

(I am sorry if this might be the wrong board. I wasn't sure whether a help question was suited for the Patterns board)

calcyman

Re: Good way to memorize patterns? Question from a beginner

Post by calcyman » May 8th, 2020, 1:48 pm

Good afternoon!

In general, memorising patterns (other than very simple patterns such as the eater2 and LWSS) isn't generally done, because it's an unnecessary use of neurons (our brains are adept for creating new ideas; we have hard drives and SSDs for the banal task of memorisation).

If you're interested in contributing to the collectibe knowledge about the Game of Life, there are various paths:

-- building interesting constructions (such as computers) out of known components;
-- finding new objects, typically involving search programs;
-- tackling the various unsolved problems in this field.

Which of these is of most interest to you? If we were to stereotype these, they'd respectively appeal to:

-- engineers / architects / artists;
-- computer scientists / biologists;
-- mathematicians.
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!

GUYTU6J

Re: Good way to memorize patterns? Question from a beginner

Post by GUYTU6J » May 9th, 2020, 7:55 am

There are some attempts to make notable patterns from human-readable subpatterns, for instance digits. Related is a thread concerned about infinite growth patterns that are easy to memorize.
But in fact these are not quite mainstream.