An alternative to Lifecoin

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
testitemqlstudop

An alternative to Lifecoin

Post by testitemqlstudop » March 3rd, 2019, 6:44 pm

I suddenly had a both great and terrible idea for a version of Lifecoin based on Catagolue that can work now (since apparently development on Lifecoin has generally stalled...)

Basically, to "generate" Lifecoins, you run apgsearch. However, you do not upload any hauls, but instead store apgsearch ouputs in a file; apgsearch will save all the seeds (i.e. haul root + soup ID, like l_EYnBEpDy2zPN1452859) of "rare oscillators" and "rare spaceships" to a file. This file will contain all the Lifecoins you "have".

Someone's Lifecoin will be denominated in their Lifecoin's matching oscillator or spaceship, i.e. if someone had a Lifecoin seed as "l_eMNv3n6e4YiJ1619091", the matching denomination would be 68952849.4079. This means that it takes roughly an minute per core to generate a Lifecoin, and inflation is controlled by the constant sending of objects to Catagolue.

To send a Lifecoin to someone, you simply PM or encrypt the Lifecoin's seed to the person you are sending it to. Once you send it to someone, they verify that it has not been sent to Catagolue yet, i.e. by checking that no haul with the haul root "l_eMNv3n6e4YiJ" exists (for the previous example). This prevents double-spending (spending discussed next paragraph) and if this check fails, the receiver rejects the Lifecoin.

Once the receiver gets a verified Lifecoin, they can do two things:

1. Upload it to Catagolue, namely running "./apgluxe -k "PAYOSHA" -s l_eMNv3n6e4YiJ -n 1619091" (for above example). Notice that this makes the receiver re-do all the work, and hence they might not accept it if the last number is too big. It would be wise for "miners" to only run ~10M soups for every haul root.
2. Keep it and later send it to someone else.

Double-spending is impossible because Catagolue rejects hauls with duplicate haul roots. This means that any haul submitted to Catagolue is no longer a Lifecoin.

To be honest, I think the "uploading-to-Catagolue" part is just a trinket that sacrifices the Lifecoin someone gave to you for (possibly) a shiny entry on your "Discoveries" page. Judging by the current state of the difficulty list, I would say 1000000 (1 Million) Lifecoin = 1$, but that's hypothetical.

Is this feasible, or is it completely not possible?
Ideas, problems, and nitpicking is welcomed.

77topaz

Re: An alternative to Lifecoin

Post by 77topaz » March 4th, 2019, 7:00 am

...This would result, by your own phrasing, in something that would punish people for uploading apgsearch results to Catagolue instead of storing them locally. Why on Earth would we even want that?

testitemqlstudop

Post by testitemqlstudop » March 4th, 2019, 9:17 am

No, when they submit a seed to Lifecoin, it would result in Catagolue counting it as their own haul (and hence discovery, in the case the Lifecoin's object occured less than 20 tiems)

77topaz

Post by 77topaz » March 5th, 2019, 4:45 pm

I still think this concept is inferior to that of the regular Lifecoin/CAcoin, because this forces the user to choose between having the coin and having discoveries noted on Catagolue. Regular Lifecoin does not have that issue.