Catagolue Suggestions Thread

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
wirehead

Re: Catagolue Suggestions Thread

Post by wirehead » July 14th, 2023, 3:03 pm

I have an idea that would prevent this mess especially for multistate rules. It could be implemented as a sub-symmetry. I suggest adding the suffix "_culled" to it, so it would be called C1_culled.

When apgsearch is in a culled symmetry, after it identifies a blob of cells as an oscillator it would start removing stator cells at random and stop when it can't remove any cell without breaking the oscillator. The result, should hopefully be the minimum form, without all of the random junk around it as in the example above (they're all the same xp2 just with different random crap around them, as Yoel already noted in the Sticky thread.)
Langton's ant: Can't play the drums, can be taught.

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » November 3rd, 2023, 1:00 am

benetnasch85 wrote:
October 5th, 2022, 12:06 am
Is there a way to list all of the lifelike censuses with a particular symmetry, such as C1? If not, can one be provided?

I'm looking for a list of rules with the number of objects for each, which can be sorted by either rulestring or number of objects.

Alternative: is there a way to show an extended version of the "Most Popular" list on the Census page? If not, can that be provided?
I created a userpage that lists some more Life-like rules than the "Most popular" list:
User:Confocal/Life-like rules
It is not auto-updated, but maybe it will be useful.
muzik wrote:
May 25th, 2023, 10:46 am
For objects whose syntheses are split into multiple stages, would it be possible for links to the object pages for each stage to be added?
What about adding only a single link to the object page for the previous stage? (So Gabriel's p138 plus eight blocks could give a link to Gabriel's p138 plus four blocks, which in turn would link to Gabriel's p138.)
Alternatively, add links for up to N previous stages, for some small N.
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.

Para

Post by Para » November 14th, 2023, 8:17 pm

Does there exist an "all-soups" census (that, obviously enough, tabulates all soups) in a given rule?

Code: Select all

x = 9, y = 19, rule = B3-qy4e5j6i/S2-cn3-k4i
3$3bo$2b3o2$3bo$4b2o4$3bo$2b2o!

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » November 15th, 2023, 4:42 pm

Para wrote:
November 14th, 2023, 8:17 pm
Does there exist an "all-soups" census (that, obviously enough, tabulates all soups) in a given rule?
Not quite clear on the question -- you don't specify a bounding box, and without that, there isn't any such thing as "all soups".

You might be looking for this existing apgsearch hack, though. That works up to somewhere around 5x6 soups -- or it used to: now that I look again, it's old enough that it would be the Python2 version of apgsearch (which has never been ported to Python3). Older versions of Golly and Python would be needed to run it.

EDIT: Oh, right -- more recently, exhaustive enumerations of small soups have been piped in to Catagolue's stdin symmetry, producing census results like this and this. Depending on whether you're looking for a simple census or something trickier like longest-lasting diehard or methuselah, those tabulations might or might not have what you need.

hotdogPi

Post by hotdogPi » November 15th, 2023, 4:45 pm

dvgrn wrote:
November 15th, 2023, 4:42 pm
Para wrote:
November 14th, 2023, 8:17 pm
Not quite clear on the question -- you don't specify a bounding box, and without that, there isn't any such thing as "all soups".

You might be looking for this existing apgsearch hack, though. That works up to somewhere around 5x6 soups -- or it used to: now that I look again, it's old enough that it would be the Python2 version of apgsearch (which has never been ported to Python3). Older versions of Golly and Python would be needed to run it.
There's literally something called "all-soups" in existence: http://catagolue.hatsya.com/census/b3s23/all-soups/. Para is asking whether this could exist for non-Life rules.
User:HotdogPi/My discoveries

Periods discovered: 5-16,⑱,⑳G,㉑G,㉒㉔㉕,㉗-㉛,㉜SG,㉞㉟㊱㊳㊵㊷㊹㊺㊽㊿,54G,55G,56,57G,60,62-66,68,70,73,74S,75,76S,80,84,88,90,96
100,02S,06,08,10,12,14G,16,17G,20,26G,28,38,47,48,54,56,72,74,80,92,96S

S: SKOP
G: gun

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » February 15th, 2024, 1:09 pm

Maybe it would be possible to add a functionality to identify a known rotor, similar to https://catagolue.hatsya.com/object but for oscillator rotors?

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » March 29th, 2024, 7:46 pm

Can testing/unofficial censuses be excluded from the "Most popular" list? That would allow more censuses in official (pseudo-)symmetries to be shown instead.