Glory Frost by David Brin

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
swk3000

Glory Frost by David Brin

Post by swk3000 » October 5th, 2009, 1:20 am

I was wondering if anyone had read the book 'Glory Season' by David Brin. The book is a Sci-Fi book concerning initial contact between the people of Earth (via a single person) and the decendants of what was originally a colony of people from Earth that evolved into a Female-dominated society. The interesting thing about the book, however, was that the Game of Life was actually a somewhat large part of the book. The main character spends some time on a boat, and they use tiles to set up a Life board. These tiles function on the same rules as the Life game created by Conway (the classic B3/S23), and another one of the main characters actually uses a board created specifically for playing the game on a more compact scale as a computer to store information. The game itself has always interested me since I heard of it there, but I was never able to find anything on it until I was browsing ThinkGeek and found a 4x4 version there (also using the B3/S23 rules).

I apologize if something like this has already been brought up; I just found it interesting that something that I initially assumed was just a minor plot point in a book was actually based on something real.

PM 2Ring

Re: Glory Frost by David Brin

Post by PM 2Ring » October 5th, 2009, 6:50 am

I was wondering if anyone had read the book 'Glory Season' by David Brin.
Me! I enjoyed that book, but not as much as his Uplift saga. I liked the idea of the men's Life competitions, but I must admit I found the use of Life in the plot a little bit forced (as with several other plot elements), but by & large it's a good yarn.

I think this thread may be a good place for documentating other appearances of Conway's Life "In Popular Culture".

iconmaster

Re: Glory Frost by David Brin

Post by iconmaster » October 5th, 2009, 1:49 pm

There is a refrence to Life in "Star Trek: The Next Generation - 20th-Centery Computers and How they Worked".