apgsearch v2.2

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
User avatar
danieldb
Posts: 163
Joined: July 15th, 2015, 4:27 pm
Location: Right behind you holding a knife
Contact:

Re: apgsearch v2.2

Post by danieldb » November 27th, 2015, 7:16 pm

SuperJedi224 wrote:I'm getting this error at compile-time:
life128.h:1370:183: error: unknown register name ‘xmm14’ in ‘asm’
life128.h:1370:183: error: unknown register name ‘xmm13’ in ‘asm’
life128.h:1370:183: error: unknown register name ‘xmm12’ in ‘asm’
life128.h:1370:183: error: unknown register name ‘xmm11’ in ‘asm’
life128.h:1370:183: error: unknown register name ‘xmm10’ in ‘asm’
life128.h:1370:183: error: unknown register name ‘xmm9’ in ‘asm’
life128.h:1370:183: error: unknown register name ‘xmm8’ in ‘asm’
life128.h:1370:183: error: unknown register name ‘xmm7’ in ‘asm’
life128.h:1370:183: error: unknown register name ‘xmm6’ in ‘asm’
life128.h:1370:183: error: unknown register name ‘xmm5’ in ‘asm’
life128.h:1370:183: error: unknown register name ‘xmm4’ in ‘asm’
life128.h:1370:183: error: unknown register name ‘xmm3’ in ‘asm’
life128.h:1370:183: error: unknown register name ‘xmm2’ in ‘asm’
life128.h:1370:183: error: unknown register name ‘xmm1’ in ‘asm’
life128.h:1370:183: error: unknown register name ‘xmm0’ in ‘asm’
Reinstall cygwin with the required packages but check the box at says "dwnload dependencies". I had this problem when I first compiled apgsearch
moved to drc

User avatar
Apple Bottom
Posts: 1033
Joined: July 27th, 2015, 2:06 pm
Contact:

Re: apgsearch v2.2

Post by Apple Bottom » November 27th, 2015, 7:48 pm

SuperJedi224 wrote:I'm getting this error at compile-time:
life128.h:1370:183: error: unknown register name ‘xmm14’ in ‘asm’
life128.h:1370:183: error: unknown register name ‘xmm13’ in ‘asm’
life128.h:1370:183: error: unknown register name ‘xmm12’ in ‘asm’
life128.h:1370:183: error: unknown register name ‘xmm11’ in ‘asm’
life128.h:1370:183: error: unknown register name ‘xmm10’ in ‘asm’
life128.h:1370:183: error: unknown register name ‘xmm9’ in ‘asm’
life128.h:1370:183: error: unknown register name ‘xmm8’ in ‘asm’
life128.h:1370:183: error: unknown register name ‘xmm7’ in ‘asm’
life128.h:1370:183: error: unknown register name ‘xmm6’ in ‘asm’
life128.h:1370:183: error: unknown register name ‘xmm5’ in ‘asm’
life128.h:1370:183: error: unknown register name ‘xmm4’ in ‘asm’
life128.h:1370:183: error: unknown register name ‘xmm3’ in ‘asm’
life128.h:1370:183: error: unknown register name ‘xmm2’ in ‘asm’
life128.h:1370:183: error: unknown register name ‘xmm1’ in ‘asm’
life128.h:1370:183: error: unknown register name ‘xmm0’ in ‘asm’
This indicates you're not using a 64-bit toolchain. Be sure to use a 64-bit OS / distribution, on an x86_64 machine.

If you're using Cygwin, make sure it's the 64-bit version as well. (Both the 32- and 64-bit versions can be installed side-by-side, BTW, so if you already have the 32-bit version you can leave that in place.)
If you speak, your speech must be better than your silence would have been. — Arabian proverb

Catagolue: Apple Bottom • Life Wiki: Apple Bottom • Twitter: @_AppleBottom_

Proud member of the Pattern Raiders!

SuperJedi224
Posts: 25
Joined: November 25th, 2015, 5:26 pm

Re: apgsearch v2.2

Post by SuperJedi224 » November 28th, 2015, 12:30 pm

Apple Bottom wrote:
This indicates you're not using a 64-bit toolchain. Be sure to use a 64-bit OS / distribution, on an x86_64 machine.

If you're using Cygwin, make sure it's the 64-bit version as well. (Both the 32- and 64-bit versions can be installed side-by-side, BTW, so if you already have the 32-bit version you can leave that in place.)
Well, that fixed the compile-time issues. But now running it from cygwin does absolutely nothing, and running it from command prompt gives me an "invalid application" error.

SuperJedi224
Posts: 25
Joined: November 25th, 2015, 5:26 pm

Re: apgsearch v2.2

Post by SuperJedi224 » November 28th, 2015, 1:53 pm

Alright, after some work I was able to get the python version working. I would still like to know why the C++ version isn't working though.

User avatar
Apple Bottom
Posts: 1033
Joined: July 27th, 2015, 2:06 pm
Contact:

Re: apgsearch v2.2

Post by Apple Bottom » November 28th, 2015, 5:20 pm

SuperJedi224 wrote:Well, that fixed the compile-time issues. But now running it from cygwin does absolutely nothing, and running it from command prompt gives me an "invalid application" error.
Did running make work? It should've output the following:

Code: Select all

$ make
g++ -c -Wall -O3 -fopenmp -DUSE_OPEN_MP main.cpp -o main.o
g++ -c -Wall -O3 -fopenmp -DUSE_OPEN_MP digests/sha256.cpp -o digests/sha256.o
g++ -c -Wall -O3 -fopenmp -DUSE_OPEN_MP digests/md5.cpp -o digests/md5.o
g++ -c -Wall -O3 -fopenmp -DUSE_OPEN_MP happyhttp/happyhttp.cpp -o happyhttp/happyhttp.o
g++ -c -Wall -O3 -fopenmp -DUSE_OPEN_MP gollybase/bigint.cpp -o gollybase/bigint.o
g++ -c -Wall -O3 -fopenmp -DUSE_OPEN_MP gollybase/lifealgo.cpp -o gollybase/lifealgo.o
g++ -c -Wall -O3 -fopenmp -DUSE_OPEN_MP gollybase/qlifealgo.cpp -o gollybase/qlifealgo.o
g++ -c -Wall -O3 -fopenmp -DUSE_OPEN_MP gollybase/util.cpp -o gollybase/util.o
g++ -c -Wall -O3 -fopenmp -DUSE_OPEN_MP gollybase/lifepoll.cpp -o gollybase/lifepoll.o
g++ -c -Wall -O3 -fopenmp -DUSE_OPEN_MP gollybase/liferules.cpp -o gollybase/liferules.o
g++ -c -Wall -O3 -fopenmp -DUSE_OPEN_MP gollybase/viewport.cpp -o gollybase/viewport.o
g++ -c -Wall -O3 -fopenmp -DUSE_OPEN_MP gollybase/readpattern.cpp -o gollybase/readpattern.o
g++ -c -Wall -O3 -fopenmp -DUSE_OPEN_MP gollybase/qlifedraw.cpp -o gollybase/qlifedraw.o
g++ -fopenmp main.o digests/sha256.o digests/md5.o happyhttp/happyhttp.o gollybase/bigint.o gollybase/lifealgo.o gollybase/qlifealgo.o gollybase/util.o gollybase/lifepoll.o gollybase/liferules.o gollybase/viewport.o gollybase/readpattern.o gollybase/qlifedraw.o -o apgnano
true
true                                                oo o
true                                                oo ooo
true                                                      o
true                                                oo ooo
true                                                 o o
true                                                 o o
true                                                  o
$ 
If you got any warnings or errors instead, please post them.

If not, what does the file command report for apgnano.exe ? Here's what I get on Cygwin:

Code: Select all

$ file apgnano.exe
apgnano.exe: PE32+ executable (console) x86-64, for MS Windows
$ 
If you speak, your speech must be better than your silence would have been. — Arabian proverb

Catagolue: Apple Bottom • Life Wiki: Apple Bottom • Twitter: @_AppleBottom_

Proud member of the Pattern Raiders!

User avatar
Saka
Posts: 3400
Joined: June 19th, 2015, 8:50 pm
Location: In the kingdom of Sultan Hamengkubuwono X
Contact:

Re: apgsearch v2.2

Post by Saka » November 29th, 2015, 12:13 am

Is there a way to "stop/quit" apgnano?

Code: Select all

o3b2ob2obo3b2o2b2o$bo3b2obob3o3bo2bo$2bo2b3o5b3ob4o$3o3bo2bo2b3o3b3o$
4bo4bobo4bo$2o2b2o2b4obo2bo3bo$2ob4o3bo2bo2bo2bo$b2o3bobob2o$3bobobo5b
obobobo$3bobobob2o3bo2bobo!
(Check gen 3)
Add your computer to the Table of Lifeenthusiast Computers!

User avatar
danieldb
Posts: 163
Joined: July 15th, 2015, 4:27 pm
Location: Right behind you holding a knife
Contact:

Re: apgsearch v2.2

Post by danieldb » November 29th, 2015, 12:25 am

Saka wrote:Is there a way to "stop/quit" apgnano?
Ctfl+C then Alt+F4. Also happy birthday
moved to drc

User avatar
gameoflifeboy
Posts: 474
Joined: January 15th, 2015, 2:08 am

Re: apgsearch v2.2

Post by gameoflifeboy » November 29th, 2015, 2:36 am

A for awesome wrote:
gameoflifeboy wrote:
A for awesome wrote:Maybe one for finding the Nth object, where N is some auspicious number, such as a 6th or higher power, or any power of a number less than 20; also maybe one for contributing the first soup in a new rule or symmetry, or the first oscillator of a certain period in any rule (Does anyone know what the smallest period is that has not been found yet by apgsearch in any rule is?).
At least 32.
A p32

I guess at least 41, then.
Here's a P41, so it's at least 47 now.

User avatar
Saka
Posts: 3400
Joined: June 19th, 2015, 8:50 pm
Location: In the kingdom of Sultan Hamengkubuwono X
Contact:

Re: apgsearch v2.2

Post by Saka » November 29th, 2015, 6:15 am

Hmm... I wonder if there will ever be a soup that turns into a still life (I mean like the whole soup just turns into a still life), that would:make a 16x16 still life

Code: Select all

o3b2ob2obo3b2o2b2o$bo3b2obob3o3bo2bo$2bo2b3o5b3ob4o$3o3bo2bo2b3o3b3o$
4bo4bobo4bo$2o2b2o2b4obo2bo3bo$2ob4o3bo2bo2bo2bo$b2o3bobob2o$3bobobo5b
obobobo$3bobobob2o3bo2bobo!
(Check gen 3)
Add your computer to the Table of Lifeenthusiast Computers!

SuperJedi224
Posts: 25
Joined: November 25th, 2015, 5:26 pm

Re: apgsearch v2.2

Post by SuperJedi224 » November 29th, 2015, 8:15 am

Apple Bottom wrote:
SuperJedi224 wrote:Well, that fixed the compile-time issues. But now running it from cygwin does absolutely nothing, and running it from command prompt gives me an "invalid application" error.
Did running make work? It should've output the following:

Code: Select all

$ make
g++ -c -Wall -O3 -fopenmp -DUSE_OPEN_MP main.cpp -o main.o
g++ -c -Wall -O3 -fopenmp -DUSE_OPEN_MP digests/sha256.cpp -o digests/sha256.o
g++ -c -Wall -O3 -fopenmp -DUSE_OPEN_MP digests/md5.cpp -o digests/md5.o
g++ -c -Wall -O3 -fopenmp -DUSE_OPEN_MP happyhttp/happyhttp.cpp -o happyhttp/happyhttp.o
g++ -c -Wall -O3 -fopenmp -DUSE_OPEN_MP gollybase/bigint.cpp -o gollybase/bigint.o
g++ -c -Wall -O3 -fopenmp -DUSE_OPEN_MP gollybase/lifealgo.cpp -o gollybase/lifealgo.o
g++ -c -Wall -O3 -fopenmp -DUSE_OPEN_MP gollybase/qlifealgo.cpp -o gollybase/qlifealgo.o
g++ -c -Wall -O3 -fopenmp -DUSE_OPEN_MP gollybase/util.cpp -o gollybase/util.o
g++ -c -Wall -O3 -fopenmp -DUSE_OPEN_MP gollybase/lifepoll.cpp -o gollybase/lifepoll.o
g++ -c -Wall -O3 -fopenmp -DUSE_OPEN_MP gollybase/liferules.cpp -o gollybase/liferules.o
g++ -c -Wall -O3 -fopenmp -DUSE_OPEN_MP gollybase/viewport.cpp -o gollybase/viewport.o
g++ -c -Wall -O3 -fopenmp -DUSE_OPEN_MP gollybase/readpattern.cpp -o gollybase/readpattern.o
g++ -c -Wall -O3 -fopenmp -DUSE_OPEN_MP gollybase/qlifedraw.cpp -o gollybase/qlifedraw.o
g++ -fopenmp main.o digests/sha256.o digests/md5.o happyhttp/happyhttp.o gollybase/bigint.o gollybase/lifealgo.o gollybase/qlifealgo.o gollybase/util.o gollybase/lifepoll.o gollybase/liferules.o gollybase/viewport.o gollybase/readpattern.o gollybase/qlifedraw.o -o apgnano
true
true                                                oo o
true                                                oo ooo
true                                                      o
true                                                oo ooo
true                                                 o o
true                                                 o o
true                                                  o
$ 
If you got any warnings or errors instead, please post them.

If not, what does the file command report for apgnano.exe ? Here's what I get on Cygwin:

Code: Select all

$ file apgnano.exe
apgnano.exe: PE32+ executable (console) x86-64, for MS Windows
$ 
Apparently, apgnano.exe is an empty file on my end. Time to recompile! (again.)

Edit: And now (after getting all the compile-time output you said to expect) I seem to have a 414-KB executable- that still does nothing in cygwin. And command prompt is complaining about a missing procedure entry point in cygstdc++-6.dll.

User avatar
calcyman
Posts: 2198
Joined: June 1st, 2009, 4:32 pm

Re: apgsearch v2.2

Post by calcyman » November 29th, 2015, 9:37 am

What do you mean by 'does nothing'? What happens, specifically, when you run:

Code: Select all

./apgnano
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!

SuperJedi224
Posts: 25
Joined: November 25th, 2015, 5:26 pm

Re: apgsearch v2.2

Post by SuperJedi224 » November 29th, 2015, 2:50 pm

calcyman wrote:What do you mean by 'does nothing'? What happens, specifically, when you run:

Code: Select all

./apgnano
It prints a single empty line to the console and then immediately terminates.

User avatar
Saka
Posts: 3400
Joined: June 19th, 2015, 8:50 pm
Location: In the kingdom of Sultan Hamengkubuwono X
Contact:

Re: apgsearch v2.2

Post by Saka » November 30th, 2015, 6:48 am

Scorbie wrote:You have to run make in the directory where the makefile is in. You seem to be running Cygwin outside the apgnano directory. Go into apgnano directory, navigate to where the source file is in (e.g. if it's in apgnano do "cd apgnano". If it's in apgnano/src, do "cd apgnano/src" ...), and then you can run make.
Ahhh... thanks! I got it now

PS late reply

Code: Select all

o3b2ob2obo3b2o2b2o$bo3b2obob3o3bo2bo$2bo2b3o5b3ob4o$3o3bo2bo2b3o3b3o$
4bo4bobo4bo$2o2b2o2b4obo2bo3bo$2ob4o3bo2bo2bo2bo$b2o3bobob2o$3bobobo5b
obobobo$3bobobob2o3bo2bobo!
(Check gen 3)
Add your computer to the Table of Lifeenthusiast Computers!

SuperJedi224
Posts: 25
Joined: November 25th, 2015, 5:26 pm

Re: apgsearch v2.2

Post by SuperJedi224 » November 30th, 2015, 10:58 pm

I would like to suggest the adition of a search by pattern name feature to the website

User avatar
gameoflifeboy
Posts: 474
Joined: January 15th, 2015, 2:08 am

Re: apgsearch v2.2

Post by gameoflifeboy » December 1st, 2015, 1:05 am

I'd like that too, but I'd like a search by RLE even more, because some patterns can have more than one name.
I'd also like a way to search comments.

User avatar
Saka
Posts: 3400
Joined: June 19th, 2015, 8:50 pm
Location: In the kingdom of Sultan Hamengkubuwono X
Contact:

Re: apgsearch v2.2

Post by Saka » December 1st, 2015, 1:55 am

I would like to suggest some features for future apgsearch programs:
-An -r option which specifies the rule
-An -s option which specifies symmetry
-Typing "stop" in the command line will stop apgsearch, just like typing q with the python script
-A no-compilation required .exe
-Typing "census" to see current census in new window.

Code: Select all

o3b2ob2obo3b2o2b2o$bo3b2obob3o3bo2bo$2bo2b3o5b3ob4o$3o3bo2bo2b3o3b3o$
4bo4bobo4bo$2o2b2o2b4obo2bo3bo$2ob4o3bo2bo2bo2bo$b2o3bobob2o$3bobobo5b
obobobo$3bobobob2o3bo2bobo!
(Check gen 3)
Add your computer to the Table of Lifeenthusiast Computers!

SuperJedi224
Posts: 25
Joined: November 25th, 2015, 5:26 pm

Re: apgsearch v2.2

Post by SuperJedi224 » December 1st, 2015, 7:58 am

gameoflifeboy wrote:I'd like that too, but I'd like a search by RLE even more, because some patterns can have more than one name.
I'd also like a way to search comments.
Saka wrote:I would like to suggest some features for future apgsearch programs:
-An -r option which specifies the rule
-An -s option which specifies symmetry
-Typing "stop" in the command line will stop apgsearch, just like typing q with the python script
-A no-compilation required .exe
-Typing "census" to see current census in new window.
Those would all also be nice.

User avatar
Billabob
Posts: 146
Joined: April 2nd, 2015, 5:28 pm

Re: apgsearch v2.2

Post by Billabob » December 1st, 2015, 3:22 pm

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned that the Catagolue has reached 30 trillion objects.
▄▀
▀▀▀

thunk
Posts: 170
Joined: October 3rd, 2015, 8:50 pm
Location: Central USA

Re: apgsearch v2.2

Post by thunk » December 3rd, 2015, 1:41 am

Hmm. I seem to be experiencing an issue where my apgnano instances are gradually slowing down.
I am running two computers with 12 cores total-- on my desktop, the average time between 10^7-soup hauls was about 210 minutes in October, with most other programs shut down. Now, with roughly the same setup, it's about 225-230 minutes.

The same goes for my laptop-- haul time has gone up from 200 to 230 minutes as well. This has caused total production to decline from 17.5 to 15.5 Gobj/d (10^9 objects per day).

Do y'all have any idea what could be causing this?
"What's purple and commutes?
The Evanston Express."

SuperJedi224
Posts: 25
Joined: November 25th, 2015, 5:26 pm

Re: apgsearch v2.2

Post by SuperJedi224 » December 3rd, 2015, 4:49 pm

Does anyone know what the minimum soup count for a haul is?

User avatar
drc
Posts: 1664
Joined: December 3rd, 2015, 4:11 pm
Location: creating useless things in OCA

Re: apgsearch v2.2

Post by drc » December 3rd, 2015, 4:53 pm

SuperJedi224 wrote:Does anyone know what the minimum soup count for a haul is?
100000.
\100\97\110\105

SuperJedi224
Posts: 25
Joined: November 25th, 2015, 5:26 pm

Re: apgsearch v2.2

Post by SuperJedi224 » December 3rd, 2015, 5:12 pm

drc wrote:
SuperJedi224 wrote:Does anyone know what the minimum soup count for a haul is?
100000.
Okay, that's fine for Life, but there are rules for which 100,000 soups is just ridiculous.

SuperJedi224
Posts: 25
Joined: November 25th, 2015, 5:26 pm

Re: apgsearch v2.2

Post by SuperJedi224 » December 3rd, 2015, 9:50 pm

Yeah, I just finished running the python version on a nonstandard rule (B478/S1234) and when I quit the script I think it kind of froze Golly on me...

wildmyron
Posts: 1397
Joined: August 9th, 2013, 12:45 am

Re: apgsearch v2.2

Post by wildmyron » December 4th, 2015, 1:01 am

SuperJedi224 wrote:Does anyone know what the minimum soup count for a haul is?
The minimum accepted by Catagolue is 10 000, as confirmed by calcyman here. You will need to modify the Python script to be able to specify 10 000 soup hauls. You should also keep in mind Alexey's comments regarding symmetric soup searches in Day and Night:
Alexey_Nigin wrote:I am now going to switch to C4 symmetries. If you want to help me in my search then (A) thank you and (B) you will need to modify apgsearch so that it agrees to send 10000-soup hauls. This piece of code is near the end, right below the place where you can hardcode inputs. Remember, however, that you are solely responsible for any DDoS attacks you initiate, and it may thus be a good idea not to upload Day & Night soups 24/7.
The latest version of the 5S Project contains over 226,000 spaceships. There is also a GitHub mirror of the collection. Tabulated pages up to period 160 (out of date) are available on the LifeWiki.

SuperJedi224
Posts: 25
Joined: November 25th, 2015, 5:26 pm

Re: apgsearch v2.2

Post by SuperJedi224 » December 4th, 2015, 7:17 am

Found in the comments on the python script:

unless it persists another 2^18 gens, which is so unbelievably improbable that you are more likely to be picked up by a passing ship in the vacuum of space

Post Reply