Forum that I am not authorised to read

Has something gone haywire? Let us know about it!
Haycat2009

Forum that I am not authorised to read

Post by Haycat2009 » October 16th, 2023, 9:19 pm

Why is there a forum that I am not authorised to read? If the admins do not want someone to edit, they can just lock it.
Here’s the link:
viewforum.php?f=10
~ Haycat Durnak, a hard-working editor
Also, support Conway and Friends story mode!
I mean no harm to those who have tested me. But do not take this for granted.

hotdogPi

Re: Forum that I am not authorised to read

Post by hotdogPi » October 16th, 2023, 9:37 pm

It's most likely the "Moderator Discussion" board, where they discuss changes to the software, username/profile/etc. changes, and the secret elementary camelship.
User:HotdogPi/My discoveries

Periods discovered: 5-16,⑱,⑳G,㉑G,㉒㉔㉕,㉗-㉛,㉜SG,㉞㉟㊱㊳㊵㊷㊹㊺㊽㊿,54G,55G,56,57G,60,62-66,68,70,73,74S,75,76S,80,84,88,90,96
100,02S,06,08,10,12,14G,16,17G,20,26G,28,38,47,48,54,56,72,74,80,92,96S

S: SKOP
G: gun

Haycat2009

Post by Haycat2009 » October 16th, 2023, 10:15 pm

I knew that Dvgrn was hiding a secret elementary camelship, a secret c/7k ship (The best partial I know of has a deadly spark, but that is easy to deal with a tag along-like object ) and discussing a new metacell that would be like the OEOP metacell but with the ability to handle generations and LtL rules.

Now, the question. Why don’t they just use private messaging? And why are they hiding these from us?

And Hot dog, how do you know? I like spying, but do I have to resort to (backwards) ginreenigne esrever do peep at the admin’s secret objects?

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » October 16th, 2023, 10:49 pm

Haycat2009 wrote:
October 16th, 2023, 10:15 pm
Now, the question. Why don’t they just use private messaging? And why are they hiding these from us?
The PHPBB private messaging system is horrible. Forum threads are searchable. When one is writing an entire collaborative book (for example) it's really handy to divide things up by chapter, into multiple threads.

Haycat2009

Post by Haycat2009 » October 16th, 2023, 11:01 pm

dvgrn wrote:
October 16th, 2023, 10:49 pm
Haycat2009 wrote:
The PHPBB private messaging system is horrible. Forum threads are searchable. When one is writing an entire collaborative book (for example) it's really handy to divide things up by chapter, into multiple threads.
In that case, why don’t you let the lifeenthusiasts to contribute to the book? And what is the point in hiding information from us lifeenthusiasts, who are always hungry for opportunities and information?

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » October 17th, 2023, 4:21 am

Haycat2009 wrote:
October 16th, 2023, 11:01 pm
And what is the point in hiding information from us lifeenthusiasts, who are always hungry for opportunities and information?
IMO some [Life/CA/OCA - choose whatever suits your fancy] enthusiasts are a bit too hungry for opportunities and information.
Not being a mod myself, I can nevertheless imagine how it would be useful to have a dedicated subforum like that.
oldid=138773 wrote:Only 7632 are visible to normal users because there's a forum called "Moderator Discussion" which only staff members can access.
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.

Haycat2009

Post by Haycat2009 » October 17th, 2023, 4:50 am

confocaloid wrote:
October 17th, 2023, 4:21 am
Haycat2009 wrote:
And what is the point in hiding information from us lifeenthusiasts, who are always hungry for opportunities and information?
IMO some [Life/CA/OCA - choose whatever suits your fancy] enthusiasts are a bit too hungry for opportunities and information.
Not being a mod myself, I can nevertheless imagine how it would be useful to have a dedicated subforum like that.
oldid=138773 wrote:Only 7632 are visible to normal users because there's a forum called "Moderator Discussion" which only staff members can access.
Yeah, but if Nico brown was not hungry for opportunities and information, we could never have proved CGOL omniperiodic. If John Conway was not hungry for opportunities and information, this would not even exist. Hunger is an important thing in this universe. I do not know what the admins benefit from hiding a c/7k or elementary camelship, but maybe they are testing us and laughing at our inability to find those spaceships as they have found it but not revealed that fact.

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » October 17th, 2023, 5:04 am

confocaloid wrote:
October 17th, 2023, 4:21 am
Haycat2009 wrote:
October 17th, 2023, 4:50 am
Hunger is an important thing in this universe.
What I mean is that these forums were supposed to be for talking about CA things. Patterns, reactions, rules, software, ideas. Not for talking about oneself, and not for talking about each other.
Neither "Why is there a forum that I am not authorised to read?" nor "do I have to resort to (backwards) ginreenigne esrever" is CA-related.

"why don’t you let the lifeenthusiasts to contribute to the book?" may be CA-related, but it might be overwhelmed by the flood of non-CA-related posts here and there. But see for example viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5418 and viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5591
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.

b3s23love

Post by b3s23love » October 17th, 2023, 6:51 am

Haycat2009 wrote:
dvgrn wrote:
Haycat2009 wrote:
In that case, why don’t you let the lifeenthusiasts to contribute to the book? And what is the point in hiding information from us lifeenthusiasts, who are always hungry for opportunities and information?
I’d also personally like me and Aura to have permissions to read the „The Book Of Life” forum (not the Moderator Discussion one), so that we could know more about the process of constructing a CA textbook so that we could have more ideas for Conway’s Story Mode puzzles.

Haycat2009

Post by Haycat2009 » October 17th, 2023, 7:12 am

b3s23love wrote:
October 17th, 2023, 6:51 am
Haycat2009 wrote:
dvgrn wrote:

I’d also personally like me and Aura to have permissions to read the „The Book Of Life” forum (not the Moderator Discussion one), so that we could know more about the process of constructing a CA textbook so that we could have more ideas for Conway’s Story Mode puzzles.
When you have enough ideas, pass them to me. I will create Conway and friends Story mode. (And friends refers to OCA like Grounded Life, Highlife, leaplife, Factorio...)

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » October 17th, 2023, 7:38 am

See also User:Dvgrn/Life Topics.
Haycat2009 wrote:
October 17th, 2023, 7:12 am
I will create Conway and friends Story mode.
Expecting that one person will understand everything and do everything is unlikely to work well (and it didn't work well before).

Sometimes someone comes and posts about something wonderful unexpectedly, and disappears into the shadows. But that is unpredictable.
Unlikely events happen.

Haycat2009

Post by Haycat2009 » October 17th, 2023, 8:11 am

confocaloid wrote:
October 17th, 2023, 7:38 am
See also User:Dvgrn/Life Topics.
Haycat2009 wrote:
October 17th, 2023, 7:12 am
I will create Conway and friends Story mode.
Expecting that one person will understand everything and do everything is unlikely to work well (and it didn't work well before).

Sometimes someone comes and posts about something wonderful unexpectedly, and disappears into the shadows. But that is unpredictable.
Durnaks do not make empty promises. But we need more puzzle ideas.
Ideas:
1. All ideas that have been suggested
2. A place the eater to catalyse X puzzle
3. Complete the billard table

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » October 17th, 2023, 9:54 am

b3s23love wrote:
I'm not sure it would be terribly interesting. Writing a textbook involves coming up with a lot of complicated plans over a period of years, and then heartlessly discarding most of them. Some of those threads would be pretty confusing to read through.

I can't think of any Secret Stuff anywhere in there that would be a problem to make public -- but on the other hand, I don't particularly want to take the time to read through it all and make sure. None of it was written with a wider audience in mind, so the simplest thing is just to leave it all as it is.

Here's the list of threads, just to give some sense of how not-very-interesting it's all likely to be:
Book_of_Life_board.png
Book_of_Life_board.png (163.68 KiB) Viewed 6922 times

b3s23love

Post by b3s23love » October 17th, 2023, 10:03 am

dvgrn wrote:
October 17th, 2023, 9:54 am
b3s23love wrote:
I'm not sure it would be terribly interesting. Writing a textbook involves coming up with a lot of complicated plans over a period of years, and then heartlessly discarding most of them. Some of those threads would be pretty confusing to read through.

I can't think of any Secret Stuff anywhere in there that would be a problem to make public -- but on the other hand, I don't particularly want to take the time to read through it all and make sure. None of it was written with a wider audience in mind, so the simplest thing is just to leave it all as it is.

Here's the list of threads, just to give some sense of how not-very-interesting it's all likely to be:

Book_of_Life_board.png
I’d still like to have a look at this, just to be sure.

Haycat2009

Post by Haycat2009 » October 18th, 2023, 7:05 am

b3s23love wrote:
October 17th, 2023, 10:03 am
dvgrn wrote:
b3s23love wrote:

Book_of_Life_board.png
Me too. But are non-admins allowed to find out about the secret elementary camelship, c/7k ship and elementary c/8o ship?

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » October 18th, 2023, 7:55 am

Haycat2009 wrote:
October 18th, 2023, 7:05 am
Are you here to contribute something, or just to make fun out of others?
Unlikely events happen.

Haycat2009

Post by Haycat2009 » October 19th, 2023, 4:23 am

confocaloid wrote:
October 18th, 2023, 7:55 am
Haycat2009 wrote:
October 18th, 2023, 7:05 am
Are you here to contribute something, or just to make fun out of others?
What is there to make fun of?

unname4798

Post by unname4798 » October 23rd, 2023, 1:45 pm

b3s23love wrote:
dvgrn wrote:
b3s23love wrote:

Book_of_Life_board.png
Please dehide the hidden forums (namely Moderator Discussion and The Book Of Life) (for me).

lk050807

Post by lk050807 » October 24th, 2023, 6:16 pm

unname4798 wrote:
October 23rd, 2023, 1:45 pm
b3s23love wrote:
Please dehide the hidden forums (namely Moderator Discussion and The Book Of Life) (for me).
Me too, I always feel you mods are hiding something...
"For the snark is a boojum, you see."
The P3 guy.

Whaz this?

Please support HeartLife

HELP WANTED!
I discovered a new p101 SKOP! Its md5 hash is: b5de045f2a2f5a35160f69afd5ba9572!
Now apgsearching so, not online.

Haycat2009

Post by Haycat2009 » November 1st, 2023, 2:29 am

lk050807 wrote:
October 24th, 2023, 6:16 pm
unname4798 wrote:
October 23rd, 2023, 1:45 pm
b3s23love wrote:
Me too, I always feel you mods are hiding something...
Agreed. There is a c/8 camelship and a c/7 knightship and a 14-glider RCT (That we can see) that they are hiding, and we will uncover it. Count me in.

AlbertArmStain

Post by AlbertArmStain » November 5th, 2023, 8:47 am

dvgrn wrote:
Writing a textbook involves coming up with a lot of complicated plans over a period of years, and then heartlessly discarding most of them. Some of those threads would be pretty confusing to read through.
What if someone wants to help with the book though? What are you going to do if someone wants to see the book discussions?

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » November 5th, 2023, 9:06 am

AlbertArmStain wrote:
November 5th, 2023, 8:47 am
What if someone wants to help with the book though?
Related links:
Beta Reader Thread for Game of Life Textbook
Conway's Game of Life Textbook Launch
User:Dvgrn/Life Topics
Unlikely events happen.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » November 5th, 2023, 9:19 am

AlbertArmStain wrote:
What if someone wants to help with the book though? What are you going to do if someone wants to see the book discussions?
The book has been completed. We asked for the help that we needed, when we needed it, as confocaloid's links show.

Just think of the book discussion thread as a private conversation that happened to occur in a private forum thread, because that was convenient for sharing all the patterns that needed to be shared. There's no obvious reason that I can see why those particular private conversations should be made public. There's no particular harm in it either -- similar to the idea that I could make all of my Life-related email correspondence public, and it wouldn't cause any particularly huge scandals -- but that doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Haycat2009

Post by Haycat2009 » November 5th, 2023, 9:44 pm

dvgrn wrote:
November 5th, 2023, 9:19 am
AlbertArmStain wrote:
The book has been completed. We asked for the help that we needed, when we needed it, as confocaloid's links show.

Just think of the book discussion thread as a private conversation that happened to occur in a private forum thread, because that was convenient for sharing all the patterns that needed to be shared. There's no obvious reason that I can see why those particular private conversations should be made public. There's no particular harm in it either -- similar to the idea that I could make all of my Life-related email correspondence public, and it wouldn't cause any particularly huge scandals -- but that doesn't mean it's going to happen.
Its time for a new, updated book. We have omniperiodicity and a vast world of OCA, and non-moderators should be allowed to contribute. The moderator world is too small to have vast viewpoints.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » November 5th, 2023, 11:07 pm

Haycat2009 wrote:
November 5th, 2023, 9:44 pm
Its time for a new, updated book. We have omniperiodicity and a vast world of OCA, and non-moderators should be allowed to contribute. The moderator world is too small to have vast viewpoints.
Of course a new "Volume 2" Life book can be written any time -- or even "Volumes 2 through 6" (or more). Anyone who is interested in that project can definitely feel free to go ahead and create a new forum thread and get started on it.

Meanwhile... the current Life textbook, along with its LifeWiki Errata page, is in a state that its authors think is good enough for the next decade or two. It's going to be an improvement over having nothing at all, anyway, for that length of time. Maybe when I retire I can pick up the project again and help with a second edition (that's a revision of the current book, mind you, not a whole new volume)... but for the moment at least, what I've retired from is Life textbook writing.
Attachments
TYCF.png
TYCF.png (51.15 KiB) Viewed 700 times