Forum that I am not authorised to read

Has something gone haywire? Let us know about it!
HerscheltheHerschel

Re: Forum that I am not authorised to read

Post by HerscheltheHerschel » November 6th, 2023, 12:31 pm

dvgrn wrote:
November 5th, 2023, 11:07 pm
Haycat2009 wrote:
November 5th, 2023, 9:44 pm
Its time for a new, updated book. We have omniperiodicity and a vast world of OCA, and non-moderators should be allowed to contribute. The moderator world is too small to have vast viewpoints.
Of course a new "Volume 2" Life book can be written any time -- or even "Volumes 2 through 6" (or more). Anyone who is interested in that project can definitely feel free to go ahead and create a new forum thread and get started on it.

Meanwhile... the current Life textbook, along with its LifeWiki Errata page, is in a state that its authors think is good enough for the next decade or two. It's going to be an improvement over having nothing at all, anyway, for that length of time. Maybe when I retire I can pick up the project again and help with a second edition (that's a revision of the current book, mind you, not a whole new volume)... but for the moment at least, what I've retired from is Life textbook writing.
Lifeline 2.0?
superstrings, fuses, waves, wicks, and agars are cool
30P5H2V0 IS A BAD, UNMEMORIZABLE NAME
moved to new account hth

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » November 6th, 2023, 9:48 pm

HerscheltheHerschel wrote:
November 6th, 2023, 12:31 pm
Lifeline 2.0?
Even the wiki project for the "old" Lifeline says "The setup for the whole Lifeline issues data is a work in progress." with contributions from multiple people (looking through transcripts of volumes and talk pages).

Haycat2009

Post by Haycat2009 » November 11th, 2023, 11:15 am

Haycat2009 wrote:
October 16th, 2023, 9:19 pm
Why is there a forum that I am not authorised to read? If the admins do not want someone to edit, they can just lock it.
Here’s the link:
viewforum.php?f=10
Heres another even sussier one:
viewforum.php?f=15
~ Haycat Durnak, a hard-working editor
Also, support Conway and Friends story mode!
I mean no harm to those who have tested me. But do not take this for granted.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » November 11th, 2023, 12:16 pm

Haycat2009 wrote:
November 11th, 2023, 11:15 am
Heres another even sussier one:
viewforum.php?f=15
That's the Book of Life subforum -- screenshot already given above -- about three and a half years' worth of conversations between me and Nathaniel, gradually figuring out how to patch the book together. Nothing terribly exciting, really. I would respectfully suggest that you can safely turn your attention to some other more interesting topic.

MEisSCAMMER

Post by MEisSCAMMER » November 11th, 2023, 8:07 pm

dvgrn wrote:
November 11th, 2023, 12:16 pm
That's the Book of Life subforum -- screenshot already given above -- about three and a half years' worth of conversations between me and Nathaniel, gradually figuring out how to patch the book together.
While we're on that topic: the Book of Life™ was really good (five stars, would recommend) and it was written by all of two people. If a sequel were to be written (the proverbial Volume II or a hypothetical Part I of an OCA series (which personally sounds more interesting to me)) a community-written one could be even better. I, for one, would be interested, and I know there are several others who'd be too. The community has proven that a book along the lines of the Book of Life™ is feasible, and was crowdfunded via Kickstarter, so a natural next step would be crowdsourcing. I'm going to say that if five people express interest by liking the post I'm going to take it seriously and post my outline idea for OCA Volume I: Close to Home (i.e., close Life variants; I am not good at naming ok). Also if anyone has logistical concerns about crowdsourcing an entire textbook I am of course willing to hear, as I have never written a book and would appreciate insight from other sources.
THE TRILOGY HAS BEEN COMPLETED
next: quadrilogy??? Is that even a word

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » November 11th, 2023, 9:31 pm

MEisSCAMMER wrote:
November 11th, 2023, 8:07 pm
If a sequel were to be written (the proverbial Volume II or a hypothetical Part I of an OCA series (which personally sounds more interesting to me)) a community-written one could be even better.
Just FYI, there's clearly some interest in this, but let's close off this thread and talk about it elsewhere. In fact, a thread has already been started for an OCA book.