"Die-hard" bug

Has something gone haywire? Let us know about it!
bubblegum

"Die-hard" bug

Post by bubblegum » March 20th, 2020, 7:16 pm

If you go to this link, it has a pattern in B3/S23 comprised of long^2 beehives with y=8191.
For some reason, the pattern dies at T=1. Patterns drawn very close to the fuse also disappear on T=1, but patterns far enough away from it evolve normally. A pattern in this sense is a polyplet.
The threshold seems to be 4 or 5, and any patterns within the threshold extend it to the xpos of the new pattern.

(Or maybe I'm hallucinating. Who knows?)
Each day is a hidden opportunity, a frozen waterfall that's waiting to be realised, and one that I'll probably be ignoring
sonata wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 8:33 pm
conwaylife signatures are amazing[citation needed]
anything

dvgrn

Re: "Die-hard" bug

Post by dvgrn » March 20th, 2020, 8:29 pm

bubblegum wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 7:16 pm
If you go to this link, it has a pattern in B3/S23 comprised of long^2 beehives with y=8191.
For some reason, the pattern dies at T=1. Patterns drawn very close to the fuse also disappear on T=1, but patterns far enough away from it evolve normally. A pattern in this sense is a polyplet.
The threshold seems to be 4 or 5, and any patterns within the threshold extend it to the xpos of the new pattern.

No, you've just found the feature of LifeViewer that cleans up spaceships when they hit the pattern boundary, thus avoiding the weird edge-effect junk that you sometimes get otherwise, bouncing back toward the center and doing things that would never happen on an infinite grid.

The default DELETERANGE is 3. If you add #C [[ DELETERANGE 1 ]] to that pattern, it will only clear cells that directly touch cells on the edge of the pattern, so the top and bottom will stabilize more or less normally. Or probably a better solution is to add #C [[ MAXGRIDSIZE 14 ]], so that the edges of the pattern aren't close to the edges of the LifeViewer grid any more.

gameoflifemaniac

Re: "Die-hard" bug

Post by gameoflifemaniac » March 28th, 2020, 3:26 pm

bubblegum wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 7:16 pm

Wow, that's strange (i'm the poster of this post)
I was so socially awkward in the past and it will haunt me for the rest of my life.

Code: Select all

b4o25bo$o29bo$b3o3b3o2bob2o2bob2o2bo3bobo$4bobo3bob2o2bob2o2bobo3bobo$
4bobo3bobo5bo5bo3bobo$o3bobo3bobo5bo6b4o$b3o3b3o2bo5bo9bobo$24b4o!