Severe memory leak in LLS

Has something gone haywire? Let us know about it!
LaundryPizza03
Location: Unidentified location "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas"

Severe memory leak in LLS

Post by LaundryPizza03 » December 12th, 2019, 11:30 pm

My hard drive suddenly ran out of space one day one day, rendering my computer unusable for most functions. Today I found that a "simplify=false" file in LLS is taking up 556.67 GB, more than half of the space on my computer. What is this for, why is this happening, and how do I free up space?

Code: Select all

x = 4, y = 3, rule = B3-q4z5y/S234k5j
2b2o$b2o$2o!
LaundryPizza03 at Wikipedia

wildmyron

Re: Severe memory leak in LLS

Post by wildmyron » December 13th, 2019, 12:29 am

LaundryPizza03 wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 11:30 pm
My hard drive suddenly ran out of space one day one day, rendering my computer unusable for most functions. Today I found that a "simplify=false" file in LLS is taking up 556.67 GB, more than half of the space on my computer. What is this for, why is this happening, and how do I free up space?
First off: this is not a "memory leak". That is a term which refers specifically to a program's usage of RAM - where memory has been allocated to a program and is no longer being used by the program but has not been freed, i.e. the program hasn't told the OS that it no longer needs that memory. When this happens repetitively the amount of memory that has "leaked" accumulates until the system runs out of available RAM.

In this case it seems there has been an error in a command invocation of LLS which has resulted in a file being created with the name "simplify=false". Presumably this was intended to be a parameter passed to the SAT solver used in an LLS search (cadical, I guess). This may be the result of a quirk I've noticed with specifying the solver parameters via the LLS command line - I've always found that the parameter string needs to contain a space character at the beginning. E.g.:

./lls --solver cadical --parameters=" simplify=false" ...
I'm not sure how this explains what has happened, but I suspect somehow you ended up with a ">" character in the invocation of cadical and it has sent all of it's output to a file named "simplify=false". You can verify if this is the case by running the following command in your bash shell (cygwin console):

head simplify=false
(Make sure you change directory to the one containing the file first)

If the situation is as I suspect, you will see some header output from the Cadical solver. If not you'll see something else, but I can't imagine what. In either case I am almost certain that it is safe to delete the file.
The 5S project (Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds) is now maintained by AforAmpere. The latest collection is hosted on GitHub and contains well over 1,000,000 spaceships.

Semi-active here - recovering from a severe case of LWTDS.

LaundryPizza03
Location: Unidentified location "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas"

Post by LaundryPizza03 » February 10th, 2020, 7:25 am

wildmyron wrote:
December 13th, 2019, 12:29 am
LaundryPizza03 wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 11:30 pm
In this case it seems there has been an error in a command invocation of LLS which has resulted in a file being created with the name "simplify=false". Presumably this was intended to be a parameter passed to the SAT solver used in an LLS search (cadical, I guess). This may be the result of a quirk I've noticed with specifying the solver parameters via the LLS command line - I've always found that the parameter string needs to contain a space character at the beginning. E.g.:

./lls --solver cadical --parameters=" simplify=false" ...
I'm not sure how this explains what has happened, but I suspect somehow you ended up with a ">" character in the invocation of cadical and it has sent all of it's output to a file named "simplify=false". You can verify if this is the case by running the following command in your bash shell (cygwin console):

head simplify=false
(Make sure you change directory to the one containing the file first)

If the situation is as I suspect, you will see some header output from the Cadical solver. If not you'll see something else, but I can't imagine what. In either case I am almost certain that it is safe to delete the file.
It didn't help. Running the command

./lls --solver cadical --parameters=" simplify=false" -b 5 5 -p "=5" -s p4 x1 y1 -a p1 -r B3/S23
yielded an 8169-byte file containing gibberish:

aÀÕ—”’◊Ÿ›·„ÂÈÎÌÔı˜˚ˇÅÉÖáãèìïôõùü°ß´≠±≥µ∑ªø√≈…ÀÕœ—’Ÿ›fl·„Â%ÎÔÒÛ˜˘˚'˝ÉÖâçèëìïóù°£+ß©´≠ص-πªø¡√≈«À/œ”’◊Ÿ€›1„ÂÁÎÌÔÒÛ3˜˚ˇÅÉÖáâçëïóôõ7ù°•ß©≠ر≥µπΩø√≈«…=?CEGIKQUWY]_acgkmosuwyÉÖáãçèëóõùü£•ß©≠≥µ∑ªΩø¡≈dÀÕ—”’◊Ÿ›·„ÂÈÎÌÔı˜˚ˇÅÉÖáãèìïôõùü°ß´≠±≥µ∑ªø√≈…ÀÕœ—’Ÿ›fl·„Â%ÎÔÒÛ˜˘˚'˝ÉÖâçèëìïóù°£+ß©´≠ص-πªø¡√≈«À/œ”’◊Ÿ€›1„ÂÁÎÌÔÒÛ3˜˚ˇÅÉÖáâçëïóôõ7ù°•ß©≠ر≥µπΩø√≈«…=?CEGIKQUWY]_acgkmosuwyÉÖáãçèëóõùü£•ß©≠≥µ∑ªΩø¡≈a£ö∞äd£ö∞ä∂dπ±∑“Ãûd…ü∑∏“∞Ãa∑§∏ö∞»ûd∑§∏ö∞»û∂aª∞ûdª∞û∂dπ…∑“∞Ãûa£∞»äûd£∞»äû∂a£ö»äd£ö»ä∂d•π∑“ö∂»äûd•ã∑∏“ö∂»ûa•π”ö∂»äûd•π”ö∂»äû∂a∑§“ö∞äûd∑§“ö∞äû∂d±…ã£∑aõ±…ä¢dõ±…ä¢∂d”ü∑∏∞Ãaπ”ü∞Ãdπ”ü∞Ã∂d±ã∑∏“ö∂»ûa•…ü∏“ö∂äd•…ü∏“ö∂ä∂d•õ∑…∑d•”∑ã∑aõ…ü§∏“∂ädõ…ü§∏“∂ä∂a∫¬d∂∫¬d•õ∑∏“∂»äûa•πõ“∂»äûd•πõ“∂»äû∂d•πõ∑∑a∑§“∞»äûd∑§“∞»äû∂d•õ∑ü∑dõ±ã£∑d•”∑∏ö∂»äûd”±Õü∑dãü∑∞»¢dπ∑…ã∑d•π∑ü∑a∑§∏“»äûd∑§∏“»äû∂d…ã∑§∏“ö∂ûa”õã§∏∂»ûd”õã§∏∂»û∂d•”∑ü∑a£ö»äûd£ö»äû∂a£ö∞»d£ö∞»∂dπ”õ∑∑aÕ∏“»ûdÕ∏“»û∂d±…∑öä¢aπ±ü“Ãdπ±ü“Ã∂a•πü“ö∂»äd•πü“ö∂»ä∂a¥d¥∂a•”…∏ö∂äûd•”…∏ö∂äû∂dõ…∑§∏“∂äûa∑§∏“∞»ûd∑§∏“∞»û∂dõã∑§∏“∂»ûd”õ∑§∏∂»äûd…ã∑ö∞¢a•π…“ö∂äûd•π…“ö∂äû∂aÕ∏“∞dÕ∏“∞∂dπõ∑…∑a∑§∏∞»äûd∑§∏∞»äû∂aÕ∏∞»ûdÕ∏∞»û∂dõ…ã£∑a•”õ∏∂»äûd•”õ∏∂»äû∂d•π∑…∑d∑ª¬a∑§∏ö∞»äd∑§∏ö∞»ä∂aÕ∏“ûdÕ∏“û∂d±…∑∏“Ãûaπ…㧓ö∂ûdπ…㧓ö∂û∂a•õü∏“∂»äd•õü∏“∂»ä∂a∑∏ö∞»äûd∑∏ö∞»äû∂a”õ…§∏∂äûd”õ…§∏∂äû∂dπ∑…ü∑dπ”∑∞Ãûa∑∏“∞»äûd∑∏“∞»äû∂dπõ∑§“∂»äûdπ∑ãü∑dπü∑§“ö∂»äaÕ∏“∞ûdÕ∏“∞û∂aÕ“»ûdÕ“»û∂a∑§“ö∞»äd∑§“ö∞»ä∂d…ü∑∞ä¢aª∞»ûdª∞»û∂a£ö∞»ûd£ö∞»û∂a∑∏“ö∞»ûd∑∏“ö∞»û∂d”õ∑ü∑aª»dª»∂d•ü∑∏“ö∂»äd•”õ∑∑a”…ü§∏ö∂äd”…ü§∏ö∂ä∂a•”ü∏ö∂»äd•”ü∏ö∂»ä∂aõ…ã§∏“∂ûdõ…ã§∏“∂û∂a•πã“ö∂»ûd•πã“ö∂»û∂a•õ…∏“∂äûd•õ…∏“∂äû∂a£ö»ûd£ö»û∂a∑§∏“ö»ûd∑§∏“ö»û∂a∑“ö∞»äûd∑“ö∞»äû∂aÕ∏“∞»ûdÕ∏“∞»û∂dõ±∑»ä¢d”±∑∏ö∂»äûa£öäûd£öäû∂dπ”∑…∑aª∞»dª∞»∂d±ü∑»ä¢a£∞äûd£∞äû∂a•…ã∏“ö∂ûd•…ã∏“ö∂û∂aπãü§“ö∂»dπãü§“ö∂»∂a∑§∏ö»äûd∑§∏ö»äû∂aÕ“∞»ûdÕ“∞»û∂d”õ∑…∑d•π”∑∑aÕ∏“dÕ∏“»∂dõ…´⁄§¿“∞∆aŒ‘d¡Œ‘a¡⁄§“ö∞™d¡⁄§“ö∞»™dπ”∑ü∑a¡⁄§∏“∞™d¡⁄§∏“∞»™aÒ•ÁåÜöÙädÒ•ÁåÜöfiÙäa˘ÊÄöäd˘ÊÄöfiäd±ü∑∏“ö∂»äd±…∑∫dõ∑…ã∑aÒçÅÏÙdÒçÅÏfiÙa˘ÊöÙd˘ÊöfiÙa£ö∞äd£ö∞»ädflıãÊö¯d¡”õ…´d”∑ãü∑dπ…«⁄§¿“ö∞d∑…ãü∑a•”«⁄¿ö∞™d•”«⁄¿ö∞»™dõ…∑∞ä¢a˘öÙäd˘öfiÙädõflıʯäd±…∑∏“ö∂äûa¡⁄§“ö™∆d¡⁄§“ö»™∆aª∞dª∞∂açÅã§∏û∞ÙdçÅã§∏û∞ÙûaçÅı§∏û∞ädçÅı§∏û∞äûdçÁfl§ÜöÙäa¡⁄∏“ö™∆d¡⁄∏“ö»™∆d…´«⁄§¿“ö∞dÒÅfl§ÊÜöÙädçÁáõfld±ã∑ö»¢a€π±§¿“ö∆d€π±§¿“ö»∆aªdª»ûaç•ıÊÜöädç•ıÊÜöfiäd•±∑∏“∂»äûdçáõflıa˘ÄÙäd˘ÄfiÙädÒflıåÏÄaÅõ±§∏ûÙädÅõ±§∏ûÙäûd”±ü∏Ã∂a∑§∏“ö∞d∑§∏“ö∞û∂a¡⁄∏“ö∞∆d¡⁄∏“ö∞»∆a•±´⁄¿“ö∆d•±´⁄¿“ö»∆dçüıãüd∑Õè´ªaÅõı§∏û∞ädÅõı§∏û∞äûd€› dπ±∑“ö∂»äûa¡∑£®÷ûºÃd¡∑£®÷ûºÃ∫dπÅüå§û∞Ùäaá§ÊÄÙädá§ÊÄfiÙäd±ü∑∏“Ãd”ãü§∏ö∂»∂a∑∏“öäd∑∏“ö»äû∂düèª∂Ùaüå∏ÄöÙädüå∏ÄöÙäûa•ıãå∏Äû∞d•ıãå∏Äû∞ûd”…∑dfl·Ídπ”…§ö∂äû∂aèÄöÙädèÄöÙäûaç•õÊÜÙädç•õÊÜfiÙädÕ a¡◊£∂–d¡◊£∂–∫dÁÅfl‡Ùdõãü§∏“∂»∂aΩ®¿÷∂ÃédΩ®¿÷∂Ãé∫dü誮¿÷ºÃ¢a◊∏“∆d◊∏“»∆d±…ãö¢∂dõ∑ãü∑dπõ∑…ãdπ±Õü∑d…ãüö∞¢a£ö∞äd£ö∞äû∂a—¿∂âd—¿∂â∫dõãü§∏Äû∞Ùa´ûâd´ûâ∫aΩ®÷û∂ÃédΩ®÷û∂Ãé∫dπ…∑§“ö∂äûdõ∑…ü∑d±ıüÄöédπ”õ∑…a•õıåÊÜäd•õıåÊÜfiädçÅflÏÙdÅü±ãüd•ıüå∏Äû∞ädπ…ü“∞Ãdç•ÁáfldÅõflʯäa¡◊Õ®ûºé¢d¡◊Õ®ûºé¢∫aü§∏Ä∞Ùädü§∏Ä∞Ùäûd•”∑…∑d”õ∑ã∑a˘ÄöÙäd˘ÄöfiÙädçπü§Äû∞Ùäa©◊Õ¿ûºé¢d©◊Õ¿ûºé¢∫dπã∑§“ö∂»ûa¡⁄§∏“ö∆d¡⁄§∏“ö»∆d±ãü§∏“ö∂»dÒÁáõfld€”…§¿ö∞™∆aõ±«⁄§¿“™dõ±«⁄§¿“»™dõ±üÄÙéaèÄö∞dèÄö∞ûdçÁflÏÙdÁÅfl§ÜöÙäd•±…⁄¿“ö™∆aÕ“∞dÕ“∞û∂aπ±«⁄§¿“ödπ±«⁄§¿“ö»a¡∂¢d¡∂¢∫aÕ∏∞dÕ∏∞»∂d¡◊Ω£ªd”…∑§∏ö∂äûaüå§ÄöÙädüå§ÄöÙäûaΩ÷û∂Ãé¢dΩ÷û∂Ãé¢∫a£∞äd£∞»ä∂d◊Õª¿∂–a◊∑£¿–d◊∑£¿–∫dπ”ü§ö∂»ä∂aüåÄö∞ÙädüåÄö∞ÙäûaüÕ£∂™düÕ£∂™∫dπõü§“∂»ä∂d∑≤a•õ«⁄¿“∞™d•õ«⁄¿“∞»™d•áõflıa•π±“ö∂äd•π±“ö∂»äûd•¡”õ…a¡§∏“∞™∆d¡§∏“∞»™∆d€…«§¿“ö∞™dÅãüå§∏û∞Ùdπ”∑§ö∂»äûa”M«»⁄§∏™d”M«»⁄§∏d™d”ã∑§∏ö∂»ûa◊∑访ºÃ¢d◊∑访ºÃ¢∫d¡∑ª®÷ûºÃ¢a·ÊÄÙd·ÊÄfiÙa€´«4Rd€´«4RdaÕ∏dÕ∏»û∂aáå§Äöädáå§Äöfiädõã∑∞»¢aáåÊÄÙädáåÊÄfiÙäa‡‚dfi‡‚a£ö∞d£ö∞»ûd•flãåÊÜöÙaü§∏Äö∞ädü§∏Äö∞äûd◊ΩÕ£ªa‹d‹fiaΩ¿÷ûÃé¢dΩ¿÷ûÃé¢∫aπ”ã§ö∂dπ”ã§ö∂»û∂d◊£ª¿∂–d”õ∑…üa·Ùd·fiÙa¡⁄§∏ö∞∆d¡⁄§∏ö∞»∆dõ±∑∏“∂»äûd…•π5ed•e«»⁄∏“L™aÌåÊÄÙdÌåÊÄfiÙa€”´§¿ö∞∆d€”´§¿ö∞»∆aáåÊÄöÙädáåÊÄöfiÙäaπ”õ⁄§¿∞∆dπ”õ⁄§¿∞»∆dπ…ü§“ö∂ä∂dª¡æd€Mefi∏“∆dπõ∑ãüaÒıãå§ÊÜödÒıãå§ÊÜöfidü£ª®¿÷ºÃéa∑§∏“ö∞d∑§∏“ö∞»∂d€¡”±…dÒáflıãaü§∏Äö∞Ùdü§∏Äö∞Ùûd…•”5eaűıöédűıöéûdõü∑∞»ä¢a©◊£¿ûºÃéd©◊£¿ûºÃé∫aüå§∏Ä∞ädüå§∏Ä∞äûa∑Õèû™d∑Õèû™∫aS⁄4™dS⁄4d™a©üè¿÷ºÃ¢d©üè¿÷ºÃ¢∫dÕ誮¿÷ûº¢dÒáõflãa£ö∞d£ö∞û∂aÌåÊdÌåÊfid•π”∑…aÒÁıå§ÜöädÒÁıå§ÜöfiäaáåÊÄöädáåÊÄöfiädçáõflãdõü∑§∏“∂»äaõ±ã¢dõ±ã»¢∂a –d¡ –a¡⁄§ö∞™∆d¡⁄§ö∞»™∆d∑£ªûÙd…€5e´d•π”∑üdπ”±Õ∑d”’ a©¡∑÷ûºÃ¢d©¡∑÷ûºÃ¢∫a…⁄§∏“4™d…⁄§∏“4d™aΩ¿÷∂Ãé¢dΩ¿÷∂Ãé¢∫aÕ∏“∞dÕ∏“∞ûdª¡∆a∏aºa¬a÷a∆aŒa‰a¶a†a¬alafaâ„aÖÕzÚËíLÆà˛aÓâΩ≤ÑÚËíÆà˛a–£ô™Ω¿a•¡◊±õ“a£ô™Ω≤íÆà˛aôΩ≤éíÆà˛aÅÑÕ4ÚËíLÆà˛aòΩ—´ÚËíÆà˛a◊õîå¢üÕΩÄíÆ8àa∑Æ8à˛aí|Nħ¢éΩ—´Æ8à˛aé≥ôÆ8à˛aÕ§ìè≥ôà˛aÃèΩ—´¢a≥ôÆ8à˛dé≥ôÆ8à˛a√–űõü∑ôÆ8à˛a¬Ω£Å±ü≤ôÆà˛a´ôÆ8à˛aè™≤ôÆà˛a£ΩÅé≤ôà˛a¢∑≤à˛aº◊≤
Also, I did not invoke a > character anywhere.

That said, not attempting to invoke parameters helps prevent memory overflow.

x = 4, y = 3, rule = B3-q4z5y/S234k5j
2b2o$b2o$2o!
LaundryPizza03 at Wikipedia

wildmyron

Post by wildmyron » February 10th, 2020, 8:59 am

LaundryPizza03 wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 7:25 am
It didn't help. Running the command

./lls --solver cadical --parameters=" simplify=false" -b 5 5 -p "=5" -s p4 x1 y1 -a p1 -r B3/S23
yielded an 8169-byte file containing gibberish:

<snip gibberish>
Also, I did not invoke a > character anywhere.

That said, not attempting to invoke parameters helps prevent memory overflow.
Whoops, the parameters should be specified like so:

./lls --solver=cadical --parameters=" --simplify=false"
Not sure how that file named 'simplify=false' actually is created, but the above syntax avoids that issue
The 5S project (Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds) is now maintained by AforAmpere. The latest collection is hosted on GitHub and contains well over 1,000,000 spaceships.

Semi-active here - recovering from a severe case of LWTDS.