Very bizarre (and specific) bug in Golly 2.6

Has something gone haywire? Let us know about it!
Sphenocorona

Very bizarre (and specific) bug in Golly 2.6

Post by Sphenocorona » March 15th, 2015, 7:12 pm

Steps to reproduce:

1. Set the algorithm to QuickLife. This bug only happens on QuickLife.
2. Make sure the zoom scale you are using is between 1:32 and 1:4 (inclusive - 1:32 is the most likely to show it).
3. Put the row with Y coordinate -896 as the very bottom visible row on-screen.
4. Draw any still life so that it has cells in the bottom-most row of the grid (a.k.a. -896)
5. Press space to move forward a generation.

Why does QuickLife act so weird around the number 896?!?

Note: This also happens with Y=+896, as well as X=896 or X=-896 on the left side of the screen (These row/column values may show the effect for fewer zoom settings). The right side and top side show no symptoms.

flipper77

Re: Very bizarre (and specific) bug in Golly 2.6

Post by flipper77 » March 15th, 2015, 7:46 pm

Yeah, I get the same problem myself with Windows 7 64-bit version. Did a bit of testing:
  • This visual bug happens on the left and bottom side of the screen(hide scripts/patterns)
  • It seems to happen at (+/-)((2^n)-1)*128 coordinates, both x and y axis's for n >= 1
  • Place a block so that its top-left cell is at 128 -129 and view at very lower-left corner: get both horizontal and vertical bugs at the same time
I wonder what could cause this, I have no idea how this would occur.

Andrew

Re: Very bizarre (and specific) bug in Golly 2.6

Post by Andrew » March 16th, 2015, 9:05 am

Yep, I see the same bug. The QuickLife algo uses a stagger-step method that means a block is in a different position (internally) at alternate generations. This is the reason patterns seem to "shiver" at scales above 1:1 (eg. try generating a block at scale 2:1), but there certainly shouldn't be any display problems at scales 1:2 or below.

It looks like we're not calculating the visible boundary correctly at odd generations (but only at certain locations and scales). This bug has probably been around since day 1 of Golly (nearing 10 years ago), so well spotted! I'll probably need Tom's help to fix this.

Thanks for the report and excellent analysis.
Use Glu to explore CA rules on non-periodic tilings: DominoLife and HatLife