Auto-logout

Has something gone haywire? Let us know about it!
137ben

Auto-logout

Post by 137ben » May 21st, 2013, 7:28 pm

Frequently when I try to post, I click "reply" and am immediately told to log in, even if I was already logged in. Upon re-logging in, I click "return to previous page" (or am automatically redirected), and am instantly returned to the page telling me to log in! This repeats indefinitely until I close my browser. I have tried alternate paths of navigating the site, and still get constantly logged out. This makes it impossible to post.

Obviously, this is not happening all the time, otherwise you wouldn't be reading this message because I wouldn't be able to log in to post it. when I get this bug seems to me to be entirely random: I was just getting it a minute ago when I was trying to respond to the "golly 2.5b" thread. Apparently, it has stopped for the moment.

I am using Firefox and Windows 7.

Kasuha

Re: Auto-logout

Post by Kasuha » May 22nd, 2013, 2:36 pm

Maybe you have cookies disabled?
Or when logging in, try checking the "stay logged in" box.

137ben

Post by 137ben » May 22nd, 2013, 9:51 pm

Cookies are enabled...

I haven't had the described issue since I posted this.
Don't know what the deal was/is :?

mniemiec

Post by mniemiec » July 12th, 2015, 6:57 pm

I just ran into a similar problem. I tried to post a comment to a user's talk screen, and couldn't find a post button. Then I noticed I wasn't logged in. In fact, any time I open a new browser window from the forums into the wiki, my login status disappears. Logging out of and back into the forums works fine. However, attempting to log into the wiki says my account doesn't exist. I eventually ended up attempting to re-create the account (fully expecting an error saying that the account already exists), but instead it created a brand new one - and, contrary to the claim that account names are case-sensitive, even though I created one with a lower-case 'm' at the start, it got automagically converted to an upper-case 'M' on account creation. Does this mean that there are two separate and distinct sets of login credentials for the wiki and the forums?

Nathaniel
Site Admin

Post by Nathaniel » July 18th, 2015, 2:58 pm

mniemiec wrote:Does this mean that there are two separate and distinct sets of login credentials for the wiki and the forums?
Yep, the LifeWiki accounts are completely separate from the forum accounts. It's annoying I know, but unfortunately I haven't found a way to make the phpBB software and MediaWiki software play nicely with each other.

And yeah, the wiki software automatically makes every username have its first letter uppercase (you'll notice the same thing if you sign up for Wikipedia). Another annoying technical limitation of MediaWiki.