Add the Golly pattern collection to the main page

For discussion directly related to ConwayLife.com, such as requesting changes to how the forums or home page function.
muzik

Add the Golly pattern collection to the main page

Post by muzik » February 22nd, 2024, 12:16 pm

This is something I've been thinking about for a good while now. Since the main page at conwaylife.com has a usable LifeViewer embed, perhaps we could include all of the patterns bundled with a default installation of Golly (or at least those which LifeViewer is capable of running) as patterns which can be viewed and explored directly from the main page? This would probably be accessed through Advanced Options somewhere.

confocaloid

Re: Add the Golly pattern collection to the main page

Post by confocaloid » February 22nd, 2024, 7:19 pm

muzik wrote:
February 22nd, 2024, 12:16 pm
[...] (or at least those which LifeViewer is capable of running) [...]
I'm curious what are the current exceptions. Are those very large patterns requiring HashLife, and some patterns generated by a Python/Lua script?
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.

muzik

Post by muzik » February 22nd, 2024, 7:59 pm

confocaloid wrote:
February 22nd, 2024, 7:19 pm
muzik wrote:
February 22nd, 2024, 12:16 pm
[...] (or at least those which LifeViewer is capable of running) [...]
I'm curious what are the current exceptions. Are those very large patterns requiring HashLife, and some patterns generated by a Python/Lua script?
This alongside anything that can't fit on the grid at T=0.

rowett

Post by rowett » February 23rd, 2024, 1:16 pm

There are three things in LifeViewer to be aware of:
  1. The maximum pattern size roughly is 8000x8000 cells. This can be extended by 16000x16000 but then you're in danger of having mobile devices run out of memory.
  2. LifeViewer's algorithms are all sequential. So there are a family of patterns in Golly's collection that don't make sense to run in LifeViewer.
  3. LifeViewer does not support MCell (.mcl), MacroCell (.mc), or compressed (.gz) file formats. So any pattern in those formats would need to be converted to or saved as RLE.