Book on OCA

For discussion directly related to ConwayLife.com, such as requesting changes to how the forums or home page function.
H. H. P. M. P. Cole
Location: Error: 'H. H. P. M. P. Cole' has no attribute 'location'.

Book on OCA

Post by H. H. P. M. P. Cole » November 6th, 2023, 4:29 am

dvgrn has written down suggestions on his Lifewiki page on a book on OCA. (Volume 9)

This is the ONLY book I can contribute to as I am terrible at vanilla CGOL (fun fact: I have posted no less than four failed SKOPs on the forums).

Any topic ideas? Here's my two cents:
- Life-like CA (mention Heudin's paper on B3/S13, Eppstein's Searching for Spaceships, etc.)
- Hensel notation
- Rulespaces (include graphics)
- Close life variants (incl. tlife, LeapLife)
- Rulegolfing (incl. EPE)
- 'Engineering-friendly' CA (incl. Snowflakes, Dominoplex)
- Margolus rules and emulation
- SMOS, SMOSMOS
- Other neighbourhoods (hex, triangular)
- Laregr-than-Life (incl. CAViewer)

We should also get rowett to support some of these. I have posted a big fat list of suggestions including my own R3 Cross isotropic notation, Durnak-Cole.

Exemplar rules to add:
Life, HighLife, Pedestrian Life (four high-period mechanisms), Grounded Life, Seeds, LowLife (Heudin's rule), Flock, Morley, tlife, Leaplife, High Seas, AforAmpere's 7 3-cell ship rule, High Seas, Eatsplosion, Snowflakes, Dominoplex, Brian's Brain, FWKnightship's SMOSMOSMOSMOS rule, Bosco, Factorio, Carter Bays' 3D rules, Yoel's self-complementary hexagonal rules

Also mention like the 'one object only' game, my 'maximum number of 4-cell objects' game, as well as other games which are nonetheless OCA related.

Any other suggestions?

I'll be willing to do the chapter/section on LtL. Anyone into the challenge of making the rest of the book?

You can credit me in the book as Harfordson Parker-Cole.
Last edited by H. H. P. M. P. Cole on December 22nd, 2023, 9:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Harfordson Parker-Cole

Factorio

confocaloid

Re: Book on OCA

Post by confocaloid » November 6th, 2023, 7:26 am

"Cellular automata" is incredibly vast. Even for plain Life, one "subtopic" could fill a book (see for example Tutorials/Coding Life simulators). One other possibility (this was mentioned somewhere on the forum) is a collection of articles on various topics. This could be in the spirit of Game of Life News:
Sprouts and parasites (2011-01-07)
New p5 Herschel technology (2008-02-01)
Period 16284 Agar (2006-07-15)
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » November 6th, 2023, 11:57 am

confocaloid wrote:
November 6th, 2023, 7:26 am
One other possibility (this was mentioned somewhere on the forum) is a collection of articles on various topics...
Not sure if this is the right referent, but one thing that's in the works is a new "collection of articles on various topics" by Prof. Andrew Adamatzky.

At the moment there are three CGoL-related chapters that might make their way into that book -- though in each case, there's more work still to be done and time is starting to run out for the official December 15th deadline for submission:

1) a summary of the original RCT15 mechanism;
2) a summary of the still-in-progress optimized RCT15 design;
3) an article on the proof of CGoL omniperiodicity.

If someone wants to put together a chapter on an OCA topic, it might also be accepted -- though obviously that's not guaranteed! Adamatzky's collections are more oriented toward academia than the usual blog-based or LifeWiki-based popularizations, so it would require some negotiation to figure out what OCA topics would be interesting for the collection. Something like a survey of self-constructing Geminoid spaceships across various rules might work -- like AforAmpere's tiny Orthogonoid and others. (?)

Haycat2009

Post by Haycat2009 » November 7th, 2023, 12:24 am

H. H. P. M. P. Cole wrote:
November 6th, 2023, 4:29 am
dvgrn has written down suggestions on his Lifewiki page on a book on OCA. (Volume 9)

This is the ONLY book I can contribute to as I am terrible at vanilla CGOL (fun fact: I have posted no less than four failed SKOPs on the forums).

Any topic ideas? Here's my two cents:
- Life-like CA (mention Heudin's paper on B3/S13, Eppstein's Searching for Spaceships, etc.)
- Hensel notation
- Rulespaces (include graphics)
- Close life variants (incl. tlife, LeapLife)
- Rulegolfing (incl. EPE)
- 'Engineering-friendly' CA (incl. Snowflakes, Dominoplex)
- Margolus rules and emulation
- SMOS, SMOSMOS
- Other neighbourhoods (hex, triangular)
- Laregr-than-Life (incl. CAViewer)

We should also get rowett to support some of these. I have posted a big fat list of suggestions including my own R3 Cross isotropic notation, Durnak-Cole.

Exemplar rules to add:
Life, HighLife, Pedestrian Life (four high-period mechanisms), Grounded Life, Seeds, LowLife (Heudin's rule), Flock, Morley, tlife, Leaplife, High Seas, AforAmpere's 7 3-cell ship rule, Snowflakes, Dominoplex, Bosco, Factorio, Carter Bays' 3D rules, Yoel's self-complementary hexagonal rules

Also mention like the 'one object only' game, my 'maximum number of 4-cell objects' game, as well as other games which are nonetheless OCA related.

Any other suggestions?

I'll be willing to do the chapter/section on LtL. Anyone into the challenge of making the rest of the book?

You can credit me in the book as Harsforden Parker-Cole.
Sweet. I am also working on Conway and friends story mode, which is like the book but vastly more accesible and with OCA.
~ Haycat Durnak, a hard-working editor
Also, support Conway and Friends story mode!
I mean no harm to those who have tested me. But do not take this for granted.