Our own forum name

For discussion directly related to ConwayLife.com, such as requesting changes to how the forums or home page function.
wirehead

Our own forum name

Post by wirehead » October 2nd, 2023, 6:37 pm

I've noticed a lot of forums I've come across have some sort of name. Some have a clever name (e.g. in_thread for Sonic Pi, TromboneChat for a forum about trombone playing, etc.) Some are named simply like "[product/package name] forums" (Arduino forums, LVGL forums, uLisp forums, etc.)

This forum really doesn't have a good name. The top bar simply says "Conwaylife.com - Forums for Conway's Game of Life" which isn't helpful.

I've been referring to these as "the conwaylife.com forums" but that seems super overly verbose.

We need a name...
Langton's ant: Can't play the drums, can be taught.

haaaaaands

Re: Our own forum name

Post by haaaaaands » October 2nd, 2023, 6:45 pm

life forum?
ok i suck at naming
-- haaaaaands with 6 a's

my hands are typing words!

currently offline. work sucks.

tommyaweosme

Post by tommyaweosme » February 18th, 2024, 10:28 am

cellular auforumata
forum of cellular automata
the forum of life
conway's forum of life
cellular forum automata
automata forum
cellular automata forums
life forums
chat about cellular automata

take your pick
(warning: this user many mispronounce words/grammar. do not correct. DO NOT CORRECT.)
hello. i run oca critic. if it werent for me, the cgol community wouldnt know about goose goose revolution.

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » February 19th, 2024, 2:52 pm

wirehead wrote:
October 2nd, 2023, 6:37 pm
I've noticed a lot of forums I've come across have some sort of name. Some have a clever name [...]
[...]
I've been referring to these as "the conwaylife.com forums" but that seems super overly verbose.

We need a name...
How about "xq4_153"? It seems to be a sufficiently clever name to be perplexing to newcomers, and not too verbose. A seven-character sequence without a phonetic pronunciation, something that could be probably described as "a treasured and carefully guarded point in the space of seven-character strings".

More seriously, I like the existing name. The forums are not solely about Life, but they are primarily about Life. (There are all kinds of cellular automata -- higher range neighbourhoods, more than just two cellstates, neighbour-counting/isotropic/non-isotropic evolution rules, more than two dimensions, other tilings / topologies, non-Euclidean geometries, irregular/aperiodic tilings, arbitrary graphs, continuous versions.)

I think it would be a mistake to name the discussion forums after some specific software package. There are multiple different simulation programs with different sets of features, there are multiple different search programs, and multiple related scripts / software tools.
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.