Let's make this forum a bit more active

For discussion directly related to ConwayLife.com, such as requesting changes to how the forums or home page function.
HerscheltheHerschel

Let's make this forum a bit more active

Post by HerscheltheHerschel » September 4th, 2023, 6:25 am

I am a big fan of this website and forum, but there is one thing I don't like about the forum.
It's UNDERACTIVE! I need to make this forum more active to make it less boring and fill it with amazing discoveries.
Bye, I have no idea what else to say!
superstrings, fuses, waves, wicks, and agars are cool
30P5H2V0 IS A BAD, UNMEMORIZABLE NAME
moved to new account hth

unname4798

Re: Thread for your forum improvements

Post by unname4798 » September 4th, 2023, 7:01 am

HerscheltheHerschel wrote:
September 4th, 2023, 6:25 am
I am a big fan of this website and forum, but there is one thing I don't like about the forum.
It's UNDERACTIVE! I need to make this forum more active to make it less boring and fill it with amazing discoveries.
I am also a big fan!

dvgrn

Re: Let's make this forum a bit more active

Post by dvgrn » September 4th, 2023, 9:13 am

Welcome to the forums!

Have a good look at the forum rules when you get a chance. I guess I'll point out rule 4 in particular -- "This is an academic forum, not a chat or microblogging platform."

Filling the forums (or the LifeWiki) with new amazing discoveries is a fine idea, but please keep the "academic forum" rule in mind. Posts made just for the sake of "generating activity" sometimes just end up looking like noise to other participants.

In other words ... outside of the Sandbox, there are already a lot of reasonably well organized threads with a lot of interesting discoveries. Adding more posts to these threads is only a good idea if you have new discoveries to contribute in those categories.

EDIT: Along these lines, I've left this new thread here but have moved a couple of your other newly created threads to the Sandbox. Please don't make a habit of creating multiple new threads in a day, at least when you're just getting started here. You'll get a better sense of which topics really need a new thread to be created, and which ones are likely to end up looking like noise or clutter to other users of the forums.

For example, I think your "Uses for Mu-octomino?" thread would probably work better as a question on the basic questions thread. When you're first starting out, a lot of things that look like new discoveries to you may actually be common knowledge to others on the forums. They'll just be described a little differently, or with a different name -- so asking questions to find out what other people know is often a good idea, before creating an entire new thread on a topic.

hotdogPi

Post by hotdogPi » September 4th, 2023, 10:12 am

I feel like I've singlehandedly made this forum more active with my oscillator search program. I was also the one who suggested the creation of symmetric CatForce.

As for the "mu-octomino", I have a feeling that that would have become its name if it was 2020 before the "procrastinator" name became common knowledge (it was named in 1971 but was kind of buried).
User:HotdogPi/My discoveries

Periods discovered: 5-16,⑱,⑳G,㉑G,㉒㉔㉕,㉗-㉛,㉜SG,㉞㉟㊱㊳㊵㊷㊹㊺㊽㊿,54G,55G,56,57G,60,62-66,68,70,73,74S,75,76S,80,84,88,90,96
100,02S,06,08,10,12,14G,16,17G,20,26G,28,38,47,48,54,56,72,74,80,92,96S

S: SKOP
G: gun

olivia enessemir

Post by olivia enessemir » September 4th, 2023, 12:01 pm

I need to make this forum more active to make it less boring and fill it with amazing discoveries.
Go ahead; I'd love to see some elementary spaceships at new slopes or a 2c/3 elbow or so forth.
omelette

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » September 7th, 2023, 2:45 am

I disagree that it's underactive. It very definitely is active, you might just be looking at the wrong places. Most activity happens on Patterns and Other Cellular Automata forums.
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB

unname4798

Post by unname4798 » September 10th, 2023, 4:23 am

Forum is underactive again!