Really, let's put an end to this. (on Trump)

For discussion directly related to ConwayLife.com, such as requesting changes to how the forums or home page function.

What to do with them? (Sry CG BTW)

IP Ban Trump and CG
14%
Ban all known Trumps and CG
5%
Ban Trump and CG and find other ways to prevent more Trumps to be created
27%
Ban Trump for working around bans
23%
Ban Trump only in situation like the previous ban.
32%

Total votes: 22

Hunting

Really, let's put an end to this. (on Trump)

Post by Hunting » March 16th, 2021, 10:34 am

Sockpuppets were never a serious problem in this relatively small community, but it is now, thanks to "Trump". I used to be all for fun things and still is to some extent but it's slowly getting annoying.

Background (Although I doubt anyone will need this given Trump's annoyingness): Trump is a user with many accounts with the format Donald * Trump with the exception of Trump {Bot} who likes to insult ColorfulGalaxy and ask mostly obvious questions (the recent "what is a glider" is a good example) and report LV bugs. One of the accounts is banned once due to insulting ColorfulGalaxy. A bug report with Trump reporting and CG saying "thanks" after the bug was fixed, along with almost completely identical posting behaviour made many suspect Trump was CG's sockpuppet, but some disagree.

{censored}

Re: Really, let's put an end to this. (on Trump)

Post by {censored} » March 20th, 2021, 8:10 am

Personally I would only ban alternative accounts and forgive their maker for now. However,if he makes even only one more he should be banned for a long time,if not forever.
Hello!I am {censored}. I like doing {censored},{censored} and sometimes also {censored}. I live in {censored}.
Every day things are heating up more and more.
We must fight for the future of The Sandbox together!

Also,{censored}.

Hunting

Post by Hunting » March 20th, 2021, 10:23 am

{censored} wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 8:10 am
Personally I would only ban alternative accounts and forgive their maker for now. However,if he makes even only one more he should be banned for a long time,if not forever.
I agree. Even if CG made Trumps, CG is not annoying, so I do not want to ban him.

Macbi

Post by Macbi » March 20th, 2021, 10:31 am

I think moderation decisions should be made by the moderators rather than by community votes.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » March 20th, 2021, 10:51 am

Macbi wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 10:31 am
I think moderation decisions should be made by the moderators rather than by community votes.
Heh, luckily that is in fact the way things work around here.

Whenever a thread like this one shows up, I just politely look somewhere else... that, after all, is the civilized thing to do whenever someone does something embarrassing in public.

Hunting

Post by Hunting » March 20th, 2021, 10:52 pm

dvgrn wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 10:51 am
Macbi wrote:

Whenever a thread like this one shows up, I just politely look somewhere else... that, after all, is the civilized thing to do whenever someone does something embarrassing in public.
Moderator dictatorship, you mean? :wink:

{censored}

Post by {censored} » March 21st, 2021, 4:58 am

dvgrn wrote:
Macbi wrote:

So no democracy here?
Hello!I am {censored}. I like doing {censored},{censored} and sometimes also {censored}. I live in {censored}.

Also,{censored}.

yujh
Location: I'm not sure where I am, so please tell me if you know

Post by yujh » March 21st, 2021, 5:19 am

{censored} wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 4:58 am
dvgrn wrote:
Macbi wrote:

So no democracy here?
What if there're 4000 trumps and 3000 other users?
Rule modifier

B34kz5e7c8/S23-a4ityz5k
b2n3-q5y6cn7s23-k4c8
B3-kq6cn8/S2-i3-a4ciyz8
B3-kq4z5e7c8/S2-ci3-a4ciq5ek6eik7

Bored of Conway's Game of Life? Try Pedestrian Life -- not pedestrian at all!

{censored}

Post by {censored} » March 21st, 2021, 5:22 am

yujh wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 5:19 am
{censored} wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 4:58 am
dvgrn wrote:

So no democracy here?
What if there're 4000 trumps and 3000 other users?
That is hardly ever going to happen. There are not even 2000 users here now. Also,their author will surely get bored with making so many Google accounts earlier or later.

Also,{censored}.

yujh
Location: I'm not sure where I am, so please tell me if you know

Post by yujh » March 21st, 2021, 5:28 am

{censored} wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 5:22 am
That is hardly ever going to happen. There are not even 2000 users here now. Also,their author will surely get bored with making so many Google accounts earlier or later.
Man, I'm her to tell you more doesn't always mean right.(lest's stop here.)

Edit: so as you can see, moderators are here to do these things. (We need peace lol)
Last edited by yujh on March 21st, 2021, 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rule modifier

B34kz5e7c8/S23-a4ityz5k
b2n3-q5y6cn7s23-k4c8
B3-kq6cn8/S2-i3-a4ciyz8
B3-kq4z5e7c8/S2-ci3-a4ciq5ek6eik7

Bored of Conway's Game of Life? Try Pedestrian Life -- not pedestrian at all!

{censored}

Post by {censored} » March 21st, 2021, 5:29 am

yujh wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 5:28 am
{censored} wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 5:22 am
Man, I'm her to tell you more doesn't always mean right.(lest's stop here.)
I know.

Also,{censored}.

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » March 24th, 2021, 3:02 am

Previously I made some statements:
GUYTU6J wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 11:17 pm
On the topic of certain users, I think I'd voice my suspicion towards some recent accounts with the name of an ex-president. Trump {Bot} (banned sometime previously), Donald J Trump, Donald K Trump, and Donald Fe Trump show similar behaviour — posting about random, minor low-quality CA-related questions as well as slightly politics-related statements (e.g. this one) and making some fuss with (especially) ColorfulGalaxy's writings. My conclusion is that these are from one or two persons and their attempts is to pollute the environment as well.
Can mods check their IPs?
They turned out to be somewhat inaccurate today, as confessed in the thread "More members needed in the Trump group" that I've reported:
ColorfulGalaxy wrote:
March 24th, 2021, 2:55 am
Hello, This is Trump {Bot}. I have already got IP-banned at two different websites (this one and Esolangs.org).
I also tried to post at Conceptispuzzles.com/forum but my posts kept getting deleted.
Lately I've been working on cracking ColorfulGalaxy's password and I finally worked it out.
So I logged into his account and changed his password so he couldn't change it further.
I don't have an email address so I can't send an appeal to you.
Please unban my account so that I can continue attacking ColorfulGalaxy once he registered another account.

Currently our Trump group has four members, Donald J Trump, Donald K Trump, Donald Fe Trump and I (Trump {Bot}).
However, they don't seem to be doing what I told them to do.
"Donald J Trump" kept posting invalid QR codes and never helped me out.
"Donald K Trump" never sent any public imsults to ColorfulGalaxy.
"Donald Fe Trump" turns out to be a Japanese schoolgirl instead of an American man, and she doesn't even speak English! She actually used an online interpreter.

And, therefore, we need a lot more members to help make our Trump group stronger. If you are interested in "Trump-ing", you can register another account, and as soon as ColorfulGalaxy register a second account, start insulting him in private messages or in his news thread using your new account.

By the way, please provide a proper glider synthesis for the Garden of Eden. That is what my fortune teller told me last September. I have already told you this, but nobody did so. Please help me. Thanks!
EDIT: Oh, see also this post... The above post seems to be a reaction to the banning actions.

Macbi

Post by Macbi » March 24th, 2021, 3:24 am

GUYTU6J wrote:
March 24th, 2021, 3:02 am
They turned out to be somewhat inaccurate today, as confessed in the thread "More members needed in the Trump group" that I've reported
The alternative hypothesis is that ColorfulGalaxy wasn't hacked, and they just made a troll post.

toroidalet

Post by toroidalet » March 24th, 2021, 3:48 am

Looking back on it, the probability of ColorfulGalaxy actually getting hacked is much lower than I thought it was, since:
[*]It's pretty hard to guess someone's password if they put in even a little effort.
[*]Calling "Fe Trump" a "Japanese schoolgirl" doesn't match the fact that they were mostly using the same IP address.
[*]Publicly asking for trolling support is an extremely bad and obvious blunder.
[*]How could Trump {Bot} register the account if they didn't have an email?

On the other hand, it seems a pretty big leap from their past behavior (annoying but not trollish) to pretending to have been hacked by the Trumps as an attention-seeking ploy, and if these trolls really did hack ColorfulGalaxy's account, it is a very serious offense. I am torn here.

Is there any way to confirm a change of password which would prove/disprove the hacking for good?
Any sufficiently advanced software is indistinguishable from malice.

Sokwe

Post by Sokwe » March 24th, 2021, 4:31 am

I had no choice but to ban ColorfulGalaxy's account. If there is an associated email address, then Nathaniel could presumably allow ColorfulGalaxy to change their password. If ColorfulGalaxy's account truly was hacked, they will need to make a new account for now (hopefully with a more secure password).

I have also banned the IP address from which their latest post was made, which is the same IP address associated to the other "Donald Trump" users. For this reason, I have permanently banned Donald J Trump (the other "Donald Trump" accounts were banned previously).

Due to the extensive rule violations from multiple accounts, all future accounts with a name relating to Trump will be banned on sight. It should be obvious that this decision is not in any way political. Any other accounts created with the apparent intent to troll or to harass other users will likewise be banned.
toroidalet wrote:
March 24th, 2021, 3:48 am
Is there any way to confirm a change of password which would prove/disprove the hacking for good?
Obviously I do not have access to anyone's password, but I can see when they're changed. I can confirm that ColorfulGalaxy's password was changed within the last two hours by the same IP address associated to many of the Trump accounts.
-Matthias Merzenich

wwei47

Post by wwei47 » March 24th, 2021, 8:21 am

Casework, might not be exhaustive:

1. ColorfulGalaxy and the Trumps have different IP addresses.
 1a. It was a troll post.
 1b. ColorfulGalaxy was hacked.
2. ColorfulGalaxy and the Trumps have the same IP addresses.
 2a. Dynamic IP addresses, reduces to case 1.
 2b. The Trumps are ColorfulGalaxy alt accounts. It doesn't matter if the computer is shared here. Therefore, ColorfulGalaxy changed their own password to fake the hacking.
 2c. The computer is shared, and the Trumps are not ColorfulGalaxy alt accounts.
  2ca. ColorfulGalaxy changed their password to avoid getting hacked through physical machine access.
  2cb. The Trumps got there first, and hacked the account through physical machine access, changing the password.

EDIT: When I want to indent a list, let me indent the list.

EDIT by dvgrn: The annoying indentation problem isn't really the forum software's fault (for a change). Browsers universally remove leading spaces from displayed text, along with sticking multiple lines of text together. It's very very old behavior, so changing it would break almost every web page in existence; the idea is to be able to re-flow document text cleanly when it appears on screens of different widths, while still supporting readable formatted source HTML. The regular view of a rule table on the LifeWiki gets all messed up for somewhat the same reason.

To avoid the problem, just paste in some kind of Unicode space character instead of a regular space. I've edited in em spaces above as an example.
Help me find high-period c/2 technology!
My guide: https://bit.ly/3uJtzu9
My c/2 tech collection: https://bit.ly/3qUJg0u
Overview of periods: https://bit.ly/3LwE0I5
Most wanted periods: 76,116

Hunting

Post by Hunting » March 25th, 2021, 1:17 am

Background of Trump being banned on Esolangs.org:

After introducing himself, User:Trump Bot added this section to the Wenyan language article. Although Wenyan is the worst esolang I've seen, this section offended me. Ais523 rolled this back as non-constructive.

Code: Select all

== Note ==
It's supposed that some people in the USA suggested to bаn this programming language in America to limit cultural export from Сhinа. 
Then he posted this on Heavpoot's talk page. Ais523 again rolled his edit back: "this website is about esolangs, you don't seem to be here to talk about those?"

<span style="display:inline-block;float:left;transform:rotate(180deg);">Hi. Please help us. Our [http://conwaylife.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=12 Trump group] currently has four members. They are "Donald J Trump", Donald K Trump, Donald Fe Trump and I. Our newest member Donald Fe Trump said that she was from Japan and didn't speak English. I got IP-banned from that website and need your help to get me unbanned. I once registered on [http://conceptispuzzles.com/forum this website] but they kept deleting my posts. Please help me. Thanks.</span>
Ais523 commented on Trump's talk page:

Hey, this website is for documentation of esoteric programming languages, not for making Trump-themed "jokes" (which incidentally end up making the its use as documentation worse). Please try to limit yourself to edits that serve the purpose of making our records of esoteric programming languages (and discussions of the theory behind them) more complete; the edits you're making may end up misleading new users and/or confusing people who don't understand the context behind them, so they're making the site worse rather than better. --ais523 11:30, 8 March 2021 (UTC) 
Heavpoot replied on Trump's talk page:

i think this might actually be a bot, considering they posted on my talk page [[User:Heavpoot|Heavpoot]] ([[User talk:Heavpoot|talk]]) 20:48, 8 March 2021 (UTC)
Then he posted this on Ais523's talk page. Ais523 rolled it back again.

== Donald Trump ==

Hi, This is the president Donald Trump. Please do not delete my posts. I got IP-banned at the Conwaylife.com/forums and need help. Please don't ban me. [http://conceptispuzzles.com/forum The other website] kept deleting my posts. This website is currently my only hope. Also, I don't have an email address, so I can't send an appeal to get myself unbanned at the Conwaylife.com/forums. Please help me. I already have four members in the Trump group at the Conwaylife.com/forums. They are waiting for me to give them instructions. By the way, please help to provide a [http://conwaylife.com/wiki/Garden_of_eden Garden of Eden] [http://conwaylife.com/wiki/Synthesis synthesis] so I can give it to the fortune teller to let him prove that I can make the USА great again.
Then Trump said "Don't block me please" on his own talk page.

After creating and editing this page, Trump finally got blocked indefinitely on 15 Mar 2021 by Fizzie with the reason "continued harassing edits of another user's talk page even after previous block; still no constructive posts".

hotdogPi

Post by hotdogPi » July 25th, 2021, 6:41 am

Is Citation needed the same person? I'm looking at this post, where obvious questions are asked in addition to having an obsession with the Trump accounts. Also, there's small text at the bottom, just like ColorfulGabrielsp138 two posts later.

More question asking here and here.

More obsession with previous accounts here.
User:HotdogPi/My discoveries

Periods discovered: 5-16,⑱,⑳G,㉑G,㉒㉔㉕,㉗-㉛,㉜SG,㉞㉟㊱㊳㊵㊷㊹㊺㊽㊿,54G,55G,56,57G,60,62-66,68,70,73,74S,75,76S,80,84,88,90,96
100,02S,06,08,10,12,14G,16,17G,20,26G,28,38,47,48,54,56,72,74,80,92,96S

S: SKOP
G: gun

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » July 25th, 2021, 7:33 am

hotdogPi wrote:
July 25th, 2021, 6:41 am
Is Citation needed the same person? I'm looking at this post, where obvious questions are asked in addition to having an obsession with the Trump accounts. Also, there's small text at the bottom, just like ColorfulGabrielsp138 two posts later.
Citation needed's user page has the following text in the sig block:
This account is created by ColorfulGalaxy (or ColorfulGabrielsp138) on a different computer to restore the missing posts and to move the posts from ColorfulGabrielsp138 to the correct thread.
Seems to be a more or less good faith effort to do ... something that doesn't seem to make very much sense... by someone who has never shown all that much evidence of understanding what the forums are for, or how best to use them. I'll send a quick PM reminding them about the goal of one user, one account and not creating unnecessary confusion.