Searching in forums

For discussion directly related to ConwayLife.com, such as requesting changes to how the forums or home page function.
Entity Valkyrie 2

Searching in forums

Post by Entity Valkyrie 2 » November 16th, 2019, 4:05 am

I found that I couldn't find what I was looking for in forums because it ignores words like "B" or "H" or "G", and also I can't search for a consecutive phrase of words.
Bx222 IS MY WORST ENEMY.

Please click here for my own pages.

My recent rules:
StateInvestigator 3.0
B3-kq4ej5i6ckn7e/S2-i34q6a7
B3-kq4ej5y6c/S2-i34q5e
Move the Box

Ian07

Re: Searching in forums

Post by Ian07 » November 16th, 2019, 9:51 am

Google actually has functionality to search for specific phrases but unfortunately doesn't advertise it very well. You can also restrict the search to a given site or even a subdirectory on that site. Here's an example if you want to search for the phrase "B conduit":

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... CAo&uact=5

I'm genuinely amazed that after 12 years or so phpBB still hasn't gotten around to improving their search engine, but at least there are other ones available.

dvgrn

Re: Searching in forums

Post by dvgrn » November 16th, 2019, 5:36 pm

Ian07 wrote:
November 16th, 2019, 9:51 am
I'm genuinely amazed that after 12 years or so phpBB still hasn't gotten around to improving their search engine, but at least there are other ones available.
This issue came up a few weeks ago, where it was mentioned that for some reason a Google search couldn't find relevant posts on the Other Cellular Automata board, only the ones in Patterns and Bugs & Errors and maybe General Discussion.

Nathaniel has since submitted a request for Google to index those pages, but as of today a Google search still seems to be missing all the 4c/11 references in OCA. Maybe that will change eventually with enough indexing requests. (?)