Naming patterns

For discussion of specific patterns or specific families of patterns, both newly-discovered and well-known.
Tropylium

Naming patterns

Post by Tropylium » July 1st, 2011, 5:32 am

Firstly… Can I propose renaming the shillelagh to a "long eater"? Or since it fails to actually function as an eater, "long fishhook" if you prefer? That'd make more sense, I think.

Exhibit A: Integral, Long integral, Very long integral

Code: Select all

OO...   OO....   OO..ØO.
O....   O..ØO.   O..Ø..O
.OØO.   .OØ..O   .OØ..OO
....O   ....OO
...OO
Exhibit B: Tub with tail, Tub with long tail, Tub with very long tail

O....   O.ØO..   ...ØO..
OØO..   OØ..O.   O.Ø..O.
...O.   ...O.O   OØ..O.O
..O.O   ....O.   .....O
...O.
Exhibit C: Eater/fishhook, "Shillelagh", "Long shillelagh"

O...   O.ØO.   ...ØO.
OØO.   OØ..O   O.Ø..O
...O   ...OO   OØ..OO
..OO
There is a central fuse part being elongated in all three series, which I've highlighted.

Second… Do these patterns have names?

.OO.
..OO
.OO.
OO..
A commonly arising octomino (sometimes with the NW-most cell displaced north by one) with a fairly distinctiv development — by gen. 56 this has split into butterfly and traffic lights in development, west of the starting location, and gain'd diagonal symmetry; as these collide, the pattern splits to two R-pentomino precedessors and travels NE; the final census at gen. 116 is a ship, two blocks, and two blinkers. You've seen this constellation many times, I bet.

.OOO
O.O.
.O..
One of a number of grandparents for a common blinker precedessor; my impression is that this may even be the second-most common origin of natural blinkers (after traffic lights).

Possibly more to come if I think of any…