Life Replicator?

For discussion of specific patterns or specific families of patterns, both newly-discovered and well-known.
wintersolstice

Life Replicator?

Post by wintersolstice » January 28th, 2011, 4:28 pm

If you have a line 1 cell thick that stretches on for infinity in both directions(it's a repeating infinite pattern similar to wick and agars so i guess it's valid) I don't know with absolute certainty, but I think it might be a "replicator" (in "Life")

I don't know how to import infinite patterns (and even then, I need to reinstall Golly anyway)

calcyman

Re: Life Replicator?

Post by calcyman » January 28th, 2011, 4:45 pm

Nice try, but we're after a finite self-replicating pattern. Otherwise, you could solve the omniperiodicity problem, as well, with infinite glider streams of periods 19, 23, 29, ...
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!

wintersolstice

Post by wintersolstice » January 29th, 2011, 5:39 pm

calcyman wrote:Nice try, but we're after a finite self-replicating pattern. Otherwise, you could solve the omniperiodicity problem, as well, with infinite glider streams of periods 19, 23, 29, ...
doesn't say that here: http://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/index.ph ... Replicator

and what's this got to do with an "omniperiodicity problem" (I know what "omniperiodicity" is)

Obvisiously I know too little about this, maybe I shouldn't even be on the forum :( I don't even know how to build a pattern, so what's the point of me being here?

137ben

Post by 137ben » January 30th, 2011, 10:00 am

What you described would in fact be a life replicator. I think Calcyman assumed that you were proposing a potential solution to one of the unsolved problems in life: finding a finite replicator. So you did find a replicator, but you did not solve the unsolved problem of finding a finite replicator :wink:
Obvisiously I know too little about this, maybe I shouldn't even be on the forum :( I don't even know how to build a pattern, so what's the point of me being here?
Don't feel so bad, everyone has to start somewhere.