PotY 2020 Nomination Thread

For discussion of specific patterns or specific families of patterns, both newly-discovered and well-known.
MathAndCode

Re: PotY 2020 Nomination Thread

Post by MathAndCode » February 22nd, 2021, 3:34 pm

bubblegum wrote:
February 22nd, 2021, 2:55 pm
Waiting is fine. (Starting it at exactly midnight UTC would be nice too.)
I was waiting for a moderator to approve the descriptions based on this sentence:
Sokwe wrote:
February 21st, 2021, 12:12 am
We want to come to a consensus on the finalized list before we start the voting thread.
However, since that apparently isn't necessary, I'll start the voting thread now.
I am tentatively considering myself back.

Sokwe

Post by Sokwe » February 22nd, 2021, 11:33 pm

MathAndCode wrote:
February 22nd, 2021, 3:34 pm
bubblegum wrote:
February 22nd, 2021, 2:55 pm
Waiting is fine. (Starting it at exactly midnight UTC would be nice too.)
I was waiting for a moderator to approve the descriptions based on this sentence:
Sokwe wrote:
February 21st, 2021, 12:12 am
We want to come to a consensus on the finalized list before we start the voting thread.
However, since that apparently isn't necessary, I'll start the voting thread now.
While you don't need moderator approval, I would say that it's impossible to reach a consensus on the descriptions in less than a day. I hadn't even been online between the time you posted descriptions and the time that you started the voting thread.

For example, I would have told you that you need to link to this post for the grayship entry. I used my moderator powers to edit it, but I hate to do that after the voting started. Previously, it linked to only a single (non-working) grayship component, with no other grayship components on the same page. If an entry can't be summed up with a small number of links, then it should probably have a post in the nomination thread explaining it and providing the relevant links. I mentioned this early on in this thread:
Sokwe wrote:
December 31st, 2020, 10:44 pm
When nominating a pattern, please provide a link. If there isn't a satisfactory link, you can make a short post that describes and includes the pattern(s) which we can link to from the master list.
There may be other similar issues that need to be addressed, but I don't have the time right now to go over everything, and it's a little late since so many people have already voted.
-Matthias Merzenich

Sokwe

Post by Sokwe » February 23rd, 2021, 3:47 am

Another issue is that, as far as I can tell, there's no set end date for voting. Unlike with nominations, I believe there should be a specific date and time when voting should end. The voting period needs to be long enough that infrequent visitors have a chance to vote.

Back to my earlier point: although the voting thread includes a link to the nominations thread where other links for each entry are available, the fact that the entries aren't in the same order makes it a bit of a chore to find those links. My thinking is that if there is a small number of links then the entry could have be formatted as
  • Pattern name [1], [2], [3]: pattern description (credits)
For patterns with many links, such as the grayship entry, a post that collects the links and describes the entry in detail is necessary.
-Matthias Merzenich