(cont.) Adding kinetic symmetry to infoboxes

For discussion directly related to LifeWiki.
confocaloid

(cont.) Adding kinetic symmetry to infoboxes

Post by confocaloid » March 13th, 2024, 6:57 pm

Previous discussion: https://conwaylife.com/w/index.php?oldi ... _infoboxes
User:Muzik wrote:Would there be any objections to me doing this manually over the coming weeks? - [[User:Muzik|Muzik]] ([[User talk:Muzik|talk]]) 22:40, 13 March 2024 (UTC)
Yes there are objections. At the current point of the discussion, I object to any changes related to adding kinetic symmetry to infoboxes, because those changes were not yet described in detail, and hence were not yet discussed.
  • (1) The author of the proposal did not describe details. (What are the exact proposed changes?)
  • (2) The author of the proposal did not cover all concerns already raised in previous discussion. (E.g. infoboxes are already quite tall, and significantly reduce the available width for the main content that is located in the beginning of the page. There are already multiple issues with infoboxes. Would the proposed changes (which were not yet described in detail) be an improvement, or they are likely to lead to new issues?
  • (3) Why post on a now-inactive Tiki bar, after this message noting that further discussions should happen here on the forum?
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.

muzik

Re: (cont.) Adding kinetic symmetry to infoboxes

Post by muzik » April 4th, 2024, 11:50 am

Symmetry would be obviously included as an infobox row - I fail to see any other way of including this information in an infobox in any other useful way.
IMG_4267.jpeg
IMG_4267.jpeg (263.54 KiB) Viewed 86 times
On the topic of height issues, it may be possible to delete the largely-unimportant "Oscillator type" and "Family" sections which provide information which can be communicated much more clearly in prose. It may also be useful to merge "Volatility" and "Strict volatility" into the same row, separated horizontally as in LifeViewer, and possibly likewise for Period and Mod.