Life Lexicon update collection thread

For discussion directly related to LifeWiki.
dvgrn

Re: Life Lexicon update collection thread

Post by dvgrn » September 25th, 2023, 3:47 am

confocaloid wrote:
September 25th, 2023, 12:57 am
As far as I can tell, the most sensible way to interpret your phrase 'very long established definition of "drifter"', is to read it as referring to a written definition, presumably in Life Lexicon and/or LifeWiki.
But... the point of everything I said in my most recent post is that I didn't intend anyone to interpret my phrase that way, and that I don't want you to interpret my phrase that way. I was trying as hard as I could to get that point across to you. You didn't quote or respond to any of those parts of my post, so it's hard to tell if you read or understood them.

You're really, really good at drawing flawless logical conclusions starting from a set of premises. But sometimes your choice of premises is just plain not workable, due to taking things out of context. With bad premises, not surprisingly, you won't necessarily arrive at conclusions that the community can agree with.

In this case, your argument seems to be based on the premise that when I say "definition", I must always mean something like "the LifeWiki definition as currently written, interpreted literally". I don't accept that premise, of course. The LifeWiki isn't always perfect, which is why we keep trying to make it a little better. The LifeWiki won't always have a completely correct or complete definition of a given term.

Quite often there's a deep community consensus about an aspect of a definition that isn't explicitly called out in the LifeWiki or Life Lexicon. We're all volunteers around here, and it may not even have occurred to anyone that a particular misunderstanding could arise from the current wording.
Apparently, in this case both LifeWiki and Life Lexicon give essentially the same definition. This definition does not, in fact, require a non-empty background.

TL,DR: if your phrase 'very long established definition of "drifter"' even means anything, then it has to mean a written definition, and neither LifeWiki nor Life Lexicon support your claim.
A less literal reading of either definition does support my claim, I believe -- but it's necessary to look at the context and the history of the use of the term, rather than just applying logic to the very first sentence of each definition without using any of the other information.

Dean Hickerson's 'dr' / 'drifter' search program was optimized to find perturbations traveling through non-empty background patterns. Reported 'dr' search results are billiard-table oscillators, wires for various signal types, fizzles, elbows -- that kind of thing.

Other programs are optimized to find spaceships. If 'dr' has ever been used to find a spaceship, it was a very rare occurrence -- the kind of exception that pretty much proves the rule that 'dr' doesn't search for spaceships.

So, in pretty much all past usage, the term "drifter" has referred to "the kind of traveling perturbations that Dean Hickerson's 'dr' program finds". It has seldom or never been used to refer to spaceships.

This means that it's just plain not a workable idea to suddenly start to use "drifter" to refer to spaceships. The term "drifter" has always implicitly excluded spaceships up to now, because of the context I've described in the last four paragraphs. An overly literal reading of the first sentence of the definition does indeed include spaceships -- but that fact is not relevant, because it completely ignores all of this real-Life context.

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » September 25th, 2023, 3:55 am

dvgrn wrote:
September 25th, 2023, 3:47 am
Quite often there's a deep community consensus about an aspect of a definition that isn't explicitly called out in the LifeWiki or Life Lexicon. We're all volunteers around here, and it may not even have occurred to anyone that a particular misunderstanding could arise from the current wording.
Even assuming that what you call 'deep community consensus' does exist, that 'deep community consensus' is not a definition.
If a definition is not written, then there is no definition.
dvgrn wrote:
September 24th, 2023, 11:03 pm
What I'm talking about is the community's very long established definition of "drifter", not the LifeWiki's literal definition.
If by the word 'definition' you mean something that is not, in fact, a definition, then IMO there should be no surprise at all, if/when that strange kind of usage of words causes significant confusion and misunderstanding.
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » September 25th, 2023, 4:35 am

confocaloid wrote:
September 25th, 2023, 3:55 am
If by the word 'definition' you mean something that is not, in fact, a definition, then IMO there should be no surprise at all, if/when that strange kind of usage of words causes significant confusion and misunderstanding.
Hmm. By the word "definition" I do think that I mean a definition (first Google search result): a statement that explains the meaning of a word. Not necessarily a written statement in some official location -- I can make statements all by myself that count as candidate definitions.

Notice that my original paragraph said that the existing LifeWiki definition implied what I'm claiming is the "deep community consensus" definition -- the statement that a drifter is a "perturbation moving within a stable non-empty pattern." Reading just the first sentence of the "drifter" definitions literally doesn't allow for any implications from the rest of the text -- but those implications are very widely accepted. Nobody is arguing with hotdogPi:
hotdogPi wrote:
September 22nd, 2023, 7:08 am
Drifters don't move through empty space.
---------------------------

Now, when an argument has veered off topic so far that we have to contemplate various competing definitions of "definition", I think it might be time to de-meta the discussion a couple of levels.

I will be careful to say nothing further on any of these related topics on this thread or the "Dependent Reflector Terminology and Analysis" thread, except possibly in response to direct questions, until next weekend at the earliest. So I really hope a lot of other people show up to give their perspective, especially in answer to your very helpful direct question in that other thread --
confocaloid wrote:
September 25th, 2023, 2:29 am
Is the above convincing?

galoomba

Post by galoomba » September 25th, 2023, 5:26 am

confocaloid wrote:
September 25th, 2023, 12:57 am
As far as I can tell, the most sensible way to interpret your phrase 'very long established definition of "drifter"', is to read it as referring to a written definition, presumably in Life Lexicon and/or LifeWiki.
Those definitions were written by community members in order to document the terms. If they failed to do so rigorously or unambiguously, that does not mean the meaning of the term suddenly changed (and everyone not taking the definition literally has been using the term wrong), it just means that the written definition needs to be clarified.

TYCF

Post by TYCF » October 20th, 2023, 11:25 am

Should there be sawmill in Life Lexicon ?

Code: Select all

x = 5, y = 3, rule = B3/S23
obobo$2ob2o$obobo!

x = 5, y = 4, rule = B35/S234i8
2bo$bobo$2ob2o$5o!

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » October 20th, 2023, 11:59 am

TYCF wrote:
October 20th, 2023, 11:25 am
Should there be sawmill in Life Lexicon ?
It could certainly be added. I'd say it's not in the category of the most important terms to add to the Life Lexicon, because

1) The pattern is not very commonly discussed (less than a dozen uses of the term before this question).

2) Several of the previous uses were just Kiran admitting to having arbitrarily chosen the name "sawmill", in spite of not being the discoverer -- it doesn't look like Alexey ever officially approved the name.

3) The pattern is very large, and therefore can't actually be showcased in a Life Lexicon entry. I tend to think that the most useful things to add to the Life Lexicon going forward might be terms referring to small patterns such as the Bandersnatch that might be handy to have in the built-in Lexicon in future versions of Golly.

All of that said -- it was definitely an interesting and non-trivial discovery, so if a short description of the pattern showed up that I could copy/paste in to the Lexicon without having to do a lot of reviewing and revising, then I'd probably go right ahead and add it. It's just very, very low on my current priority list compared to other things.

TYCF

Post by TYCF » December 2nd, 2023, 8:07 am

Should space cleaner be in the life lexicon?

x = 5, y = 3, rule = B3/S23
obobo$2ob2o$obobo!

x = 5, y = 4, rule = B35/S234i8
2bo$bobo$2ob2o$5o!

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » December 2nd, 2023, 8:27 am

Probably. It's gotten to be a defined term by this time, but it's not easy to find the definition. The LifeWiki has "spacefiller" and "space nonfiller", but not "space cleaner".

I would think the definition would go on the LifeWiki first in this case. It's not a specific small pattern that can get quoted in ASCII format in the Lexicon -- it's more of a generic label, and to get a clear sense of what one looks like it's good to have a big patch of agar surrounding the actual cleaner.

Ground Rules Revisited
I'll just take this opportunity to remind everyone that just mentioning terms here without giving candidate definitions won't do much good at all. This is an experimental "collection thread", which means that I'm trying to not have to do all of the definition-writing myself this time around:
dvgrn wrote:
November 25th, 2021, 4:44 pm
Similar to contributions to Golly's pattern collection, the more "finished" a definition is when it's posted here, the more likely that it will actually make it into the Lexicon. "We need a definition for X" might end up getting cheerfully ignored, but if someone makes the effort to produce an actual Lexicon-compatible short definition, I'll be much better motivated by not wanting to let all that work go to waste.
Another note for this thread: There have been some mentions on Discord recently of the idea of a crowdsourced Life Lexicon update. I certainly don't mind if people try doing that ... but I am quite skeptical that it can actually be done, without a single person or small team acting as "gatekeeper" to decide what is notable enough to include.

The Life Lexicon might work okay at twice its current size, with definitions for all the POTYs and other new major discoveries since 2018. I think it would be less useful at 100 times its current size, with definitions for every word that somebody decided to throw in a definition for. Without a lot of careful copy editing, definitions even start to contradict each other in subtle ways.

Long story short, if the whole crowdsourced Lexicon package ends up not being an improvement over what we have already, I won't be able to check it in to Golly.

... No one has actually gotten a crowdsourced Lexicon contribution page started anyway, of course! Meanwhile, this thread is here waiting for contributions, with the expectation that I'll be reviewing and copy-editing each definition -- nothing will go in automatically.

confocaloid

Re: community-driven dictionary

Post by confocaloid » December 2nd, 2023, 10:28 am

In my opinion a community-driven dictionary is possible if the "gatekeeping"/copyediting is reduced to the absolutely necessary minimum and is done by a team of at least three or four editors who have sufficiently diverse fields of interest/expertise within the overall CGoL scope (to avoid excessive focus on any single area). One person effort/heavy gatekeeping won't help. This is not going to be anything checked in Golly, but could be a helpful addition/supplement to everything else that already exists.
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.

dvgrn

Re: community-driven dictionary

Post by dvgrn » December 2nd, 2023, 1:25 pm

confocaloid wrote:
December 2nd, 2023, 10:28 am
This is not going to be anything checked in Golly, but could be a helpful addition/supplement to everything else that already exists.
Hmm. This thread was created with the purpose of collecting terms and definitions specifically to be added to the version of the Life Lexicon that is checked in to Golly. That, and the associated conwaylife.com/ref/lexicon copy of the same thing, are the two Lexicon versions that I know of that have gotten out of date and need updating.

If there's some other crowdsourced Life Lexicon with content that isn't expected to be added to Golly, that's totally fine by me of course. I'm not exactly sure what it would be used for, though. Seems like the LifeWiki is already the established place to collect definitions that are longer and/or somewhat more obscure and/or considerably more detailed, with links and bigger patterns and animations and labels and so on.

Fair warning -- it's an incredible amount of work to get a Lexicon update put together. That pretty much explains why there has been a near-total lack of contributions here or in the Lexicon GitHub repository, since those two things were set up. My guess is that the community doesn't really need a LifeWiki, a Life Lexicon, and a ... separate independent crowdsourced bigger Life Lexicon, given how much work it would be to create that third project and put it somewhere.

It seems like we really barely even need the Life Lexicon at all, considering how much of the content has been imported into the LifeWiki. If it weren't already integrated into Golly, we wouldn't have to worry about how out-of-date it's becoming, and we probably wouldn't miss it very much. But given that it _is_ part of Golly and it _is_ out of date, I'd like to get around to getting it "de-anachronismed" at some point.

TYCF

Post by TYCF » December 3rd, 2023, 5:18 am

I think Pi splitter could be added. There is a definition in LifeWiki.

Here is a definition that I made but I am not sure if it is useful.
:pi splitter A catalyst found by Ivan Fomichev in 2013 which consists of a regenerative loop used to regenerate a tub motif. It accepts an pi-heptomino as input, and produces two output gliders.
...............O....
..............O.O...
..............O.O...
.............OO.OO..
............O..O..O.
OOO........O.O.O.O.O
..O.........O.O.O.O.
OOO...........O.O...
..............O..O..
...............OO...
..............OO....
..............OO....