LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here

For discussion directly related to LifeWiki.
Potato Imaginator

Re: LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here

Post by Potato Imaginator » September 15th, 2023, 1:53 am

confocaloid wrote:
September 15th, 2023, 1:50 am
Potato Imaginator wrote:
September 15th, 2023, 1:39 am
Can you trust me ? My user name on wiki is User:Potato_Imaginator
I'm here because i found a new fuse.
Potato Imaginator wrote:
September 15th, 2023, 1:43 am
I found a new fuse in game of life, can someone add it to wiki plz ? I don't have permissions to create pages yet. I name it "Potato Imaginator's Fuse - 1" :
The way it is written, it sounds like an attempt to test whether someone openly admitting that they are going to violate LifeWiki guidelines would be allowed to do so --
LifeWiki:Notability wrote:To prevent overenthusiastic edits and conflicts of interest, a commonly accepted rule is that the discoverer of a pattern, inventor of new terminology, writer of a program, etc., etc., should not be the one to document that pattern, term, or program on the LifeWiki.
Here you go, new fuse: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6133

Quantum-mechanics

Post by Quantum-mechanics » October 2nd, 2023, 5:36 am

Can you add me to the list of trusted users?

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » October 2nd, 2023, 6:53 am

Quantum-mechanics wrote:
October 2nd, 2023, 5:36 am
You have to create a username on the LifeWiki system first, and let us know what it is here. It can be the same username, but it's a separate login system.

Quantum-mechanics

Post by Quantum-mechanics » October 3rd, 2023, 1:47 am

dvgrn wrote:
October 2nd, 2023, 6:53 am
Quantum-mechanics wrote:
October 2nd, 2023, 5:36 am
You have to create a username on the LifeWiki system first, and let us know what it is here. It can be the same username, but it's a separate login system.
my Lifewiki account

masonlgreen

Post by masonlgreen » October 3rd, 2023, 11:29 am

Can you add me to the list of trusted users? My Lifewiki username is the same as it is here (i.e., Masonlgreen). I just discovered what I think is a new rule, which has quite interesting behavior.

EDIT: Or, if someone else wants to add my findings to the wiki, I can always just post a description of it here on the forums instead.

-Mason

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » October 3rd, 2023, 11:51 am

masonlgreen wrote:
October 3rd, 2023, 11:29 am
Can you add me to the list of trusted users? My Lifewiki username is the same as it is here (i.e., Masonlgreen). I just discovered what I think is a new rule, which has quite interesting behavior.

EDIT: Or, if someone else wants to add my findings to the wiki, I can always just post a description of it here on the forums instead.

-Mason
It does tend to cause difficulties sometimes when somebody new shows up and immediately starts to add articles to the LifeWiki. There are quite a few people here on the forums that can probably be counted on to know if there's any "prior art" for the rule that you've found. Maybe start with a post to the thread for basic non-CGOL questions, and then if there aren't any responses in a day or two that point you to an existing thread, it might be time to create a new thread on that board, with the rule in the title.

I've gone ahead and added the "trusted" flag to your wiki account, but please check the rules about LifeWiki:Notability and try to resist making new articles to document your own discoveries. At least try the above two options first.

masonlgreen

Post by masonlgreen » October 3rd, 2023, 12:14 pm

Okay, thanks for letting me know! In case you're curious, here is the thread I created about the rule I found.

H. H. P. M. P. Cole
Location: Error: 'H. H. P. M. P. Cole' has no attribute 'location'.

Post by H. H. P. M. P. Cole » October 6th, 2023, 4:32 pm

Can you put me in the list of trusted accounts?
Harfordson Parker-Cole

Factorio

SuperNerdUqau

Post by SuperNerdUqau » October 17th, 2023, 7:13 pm

May I have a trusted account? My wiki username is the same as my forum username.

Overweight spaceship

Post by Overweight spaceship » October 18th, 2023, 5:46 am

May I please have a trusted flag? My wiki account is identical to this one.

Code: Select all

a

0-engine Cordership

Post by 0-engine Cordership » October 20th, 2023, 2:20 am

May I have a trusted flag? My wiki username is same as my forum username.
Honeybomb (20P20):

x = 11, y = 11, rule = B2i3/S23
4b3o$3bo3bo2$bo7bo$o9bo$o9bo$o9bo$bo7bo2$3bo3bo$4b3o!
Moved to new forum account "B-engine". Wiki account still active.

hibiscus

Post by hibiscus » October 25th, 2023, 12:06 pm

Can you add me (User:Hibiscus) to the list of trusted users?

Thanks, in advance.

#C [[ ZOOM 8 TRACK -3/87 -1/87 ]]
x = 4, y = 5, rule = B35ay/S2-i3-e4ey5j
2bo$b2o$2obo$bobo$2b2o!

confocaloid

Re: Massive spam attacks on the wiki

Post by confocaloid » November 5th, 2023, 4:41 am

Possibly hijacked account Special:Contributions/Cvojan
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.

haaaaaands

Post by haaaaaands » November 5th, 2023, 5:19 am

confocaloid wrote:
November 5th, 2023, 4:41 am
oh god. first spambots and now hackers. and they're racist.
-- haaaaaands with 6 a's

my hands are typing words!

currently offline. work sucks.

Haycat2009

Post by Haycat2009 » November 5th, 2023, 5:42 am

haaaaaands wrote:
November 5th, 2023, 5:19 am
confocaloid wrote:
oh god. first spambots and now hackers. and they're racist.
And they added inappropiate ASCII art. They must have prepared for this.
~ Haycat Durnak, a hard-working editor
Also, support Conway and Friends story mode!
I mean no harm to those who have tested me. But do not take this for granted.

hibiscus

Post by hibiscus » November 5th, 2023, 10:38 am

confocaloid wrote:
The best action would be to remove the trusted flag from the compromised Cvojan account (until the real Cvojan recovers their account, and confirms that they were the original owner of the account).

As a precaution, if you own a LifeWiki account with the trusted flag, please make sure your password is secure. If your password isn't secure, change the password and make it more secure.

#C [[ ZOOM 8 TRACK -3/87 -1/87 ]]
x = 4, y = 5, rule = B35ay/S2-i3-e4ey5j
2bo$b2o$2obo$bobo$2b2o!

hotdogPi

Post by hotdogPi » November 5th, 2023, 11:50 am

I do want to point out that cvojan made exactly one racial joke on the forums (in the Jokes thread). If it's a compromised account, it's both the wiki and the forums.
User:HotdogPi/My discoveries

Periods discovered: 5-16,⑱,⑳G,㉑G,㉒㉔㉕,㉗-㉛,㉜SG,㉞㉟㊱㊳㊵㊷㊹㊺㊽㊿,54G,55G,56,57G,60,62-66,68,70,73,74S,75,76S,80,84,88,90,96
100,02S,06,08,10,12,14G,16,17G,20,26G,28,38,47,48,54,56,72,74,80,92,96S

S: SKOP
G: gun

haaaaaands

Post by haaaaaands » November 5th, 2023, 12:00 pm

oh god oh god oh god...
this has already happened to me on a now defunct forum...
someone stole my account and started posting neo-n@z1 propaganda, getting me banned forever and disabling me from creating a new one.
it wasn't funny.

if the forums are also compromised, i might have to run away asap.
-- haaaaaands with 6 a's

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » November 5th, 2023, 12:41 pm

hibiscus wrote:
November 5th, 2023, 10:38 am
confocaloid wrote:
The best action would be to remove the trusted flag from the compromised Cvojan account...
I did that right away when I saw the problem, at around 12:30pm UTC (about four hours ago now).

About an hour ago, it looks like Ian07 has also put a block on the account "with an expiration time of indefinite (account creation disabled, cannot edit own talk page)". That seems better, since it closes off more loopholes.

When the real cvojan resurfaces, maybe it will be best to sort things out via email -- it's easy to find my email address to send a confirmation that passwords have been changed, etc., etc.

Haycat2009

Post by Haycat2009 » November 5th, 2023, 9:41 pm

dvgrn wrote:
November 5th, 2023, 12:41 pm
hibiscus wrote:
confocaloid wrote:
The best action would be to remove the trusted flag from the compromised Cvojan account...
I did that right away when I saw the problem, at around 12:30pm UTC (about four hours ago now).

About an hour ago, it looks like Ian07 has also put a block on the account "with an expiration time of indefinite (account creation disabled, cannot edit own talk page)". That seems better, since it closes off more loopholes.

When the real cvojan resurfaces, maybe it will be best to sort things out via email -- it's easy to find my email address to send a confirmation that passwords have been changed, etc., etc.
Good, but how do we prevent the hacker from targeting one of us next? The hacker probably knows all our passwords. Do we have a data leak?

hotdogPi

Post by hotdogPi » November 5th, 2023, 9:52 pm

cvojan was acting a bit weird on Discord even when it was himself. I'm not entirely convinced it was a compromised account.
User:HotdogPi/My discoveries

Periods discovered: 5-16,⑱,⑳G,㉑G,㉒㉔㉕,㉗-㉛,㉜SG,㉞㉟㊱㊳㊵㊷㊹㊺㊽㊿,54G,55G,56,57G,60,62-66,68,70,73,74S,75,76S,80,84,88,90,96
100,02S,06,08,10,12,14G,16,17G,20,26G,28,38,47,48,54,56,72,74,80,92,96S

S: SKOP
G: gun

haaaaaands

Post by haaaaaands » November 5th, 2023, 10:09 pm

Haycat2009 wrote:
November 5th, 2023, 9:41 pm
dvgrn wrote:
November 5th, 2023, 12:41 pm
hibiscus wrote:

Good, but how do we prevent the hacker from targeting one of us next? The hacker probably knows all our passwords. Do we have a data leak?
confocaloid wrote:
hotdogPi wrote:
November 5th, 2023, 9:52 pm
cvojan was acting a bit weird on Discord even when it was himself. I'm not entirely convinced it was a compromised account.
if hotdogpi is right and it was cvojan, we're fine; but if dvgrn, confocaloid and haycat2009 are right, we're all in danger. in any case, i'm changing my password.
-- haaaaaands with 6 a's

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » November 5th, 2023, 10:42 pm

haaaaaands wrote:
November 5th, 2023, 10:09 pm
if hotdogpi is right and it was cvojan, we're fine; but if dvgrn, confocaloid and haycat2009 are right, we're all in danger. in any case, i'm changing my password.
I certainly encourage anyone who is worried to go ahead and change passwords.

However, I'm getting some worried private messages about this whole episode, along the lines of
We do not know who the hacker will target next. And if the hacker targets Nathaniel, I do not know how to save the lifewiki. (Especially if vandalised pages are protected)
Well -- okay, widespread hacking is always a distant possibility, I suppose. But at the moment it seems enormously more likely for it to be just cvojan's computer that was compromised, than for there to have been any kind of data leak.

There's just not much of a reason that a professional hacker would target something like conwaylife.com -- there's absolutely no money floating around to steal, nobody's doing anything particularly politically objectionable, etc. And, you know, professional hackers don't generally find it interesting to waste time adding incredibly juvenile nasty comments to LifeWiki articles.

Basically, you can kind of tell how old somebody is when you see the worst thing they can think of to troll with. It's been a while since I was in elementary school, but it seems to me that sixth grade is just about the last time that any of the troublemakers I knew in school might still have reached for an the most offensive possible dirty word and found ... "diapers".

Maybe a good working hypothesis would be that this episode was the work of a visiting cousin, or a younger brother or something, who got hold of an unguarded laptop. At the moment there doesn't seem to be a lot of reason to worry about this hypothetical disaffected relative of cvojan's being competent enough to get hold of anybody else's conwaylife.com access credentials.

Haycat2009

Post by Haycat2009 » November 5th, 2023, 11:26 pm

dvgrn wrote:
November 5th, 2023, 10:42 pm
haaaaaands wrote:
November 5th, 2023, 10:09 pm
I certainly encourage anyone who is worried to go ahead and change passwords.

However, I'm getting some worried private messages about this whole episode, along the lines of
We do not know who the hacker will target next. And if the hacker targets Nathaniel, I do not know how to save the lifewiki. (Especially if vandalised pages are protected)
Well -- okay, widespread hacking is always a distant possibility, I suppose. But at the moment it seems enormously more likely for it to be just cvojan's computer that was compromised, than for there to have been any kind of data leak.

There's just not much of a reason that a professional hacker would target something like conwaylife.com -- there's absolutely no money floating around to steal, nobody's doing anything particularly politically objectionable, etc. And, you know, professional hackers don't generally find it interesting to waste time adding incredibly juvenile nasty comments to LifeWiki articles.

Basically, you can kind of tell how old somebody is when you see the worst thing they can think of to troll with. It's been a while since I was in elementary school, but it seems to me that sixth grade is just about the last time that any of the troublemakers I knew in school might still have reached for an the most offensive possible dirty word and found ... "diapers".

Maybe a good working hypothesis would be that this episode was the work of a visiting cousin, or a younger brother or something, who got hold of an unguarded laptop. At the moment there doesn't seem to be a lot of reason to worry about this hypothetical disaffected relative of cvojan's being competent enough to get hold of anybody else's conwaylife.com access credentials.
This hacker has also vandalised fandom wikis, but that was before they knew how to steal passwords. How do I know? Similar usage of toilet humour AND racism. See https://smashhit.fandom.com/wiki/Smash_ ... ?so=search
for what I mean

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » November 6th, 2023, 12:23 am

Haycat2009 wrote:
November 5th, 2023, 11:26 pm
This hacker has also vandalised fandom wikis, but that was before they knew how to steal passwords
FWIW I don't see any evidence that the link you gave is related to the issue. Toilet humour is so common that there's a Wikipedia page about it.

Looking at the "warning" at that page, apparently they decided to immortalise actions of a vandal/spammer on their wiki, instead of removing the spam entirely --
WARNING! The following page contains a ton of majorly amount of extreme controversial vandalism in the history of [...]. You will expect a lot of toilet humour and a lot of ignorant edits from the worst EVER user [...]
That does not appear to be a good idea but I guess it's up to them to decide what they want on their wiki.

Apparently neither of this is CA-related or related to events here.
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.