Penrose Kite and Dart tiles in Thingiverse

A forum where anything goes. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. This is the forum for "non-academic" content.
pcallahan

Penrose Kite and Dart tiles in Thingiverse

Post by pcallahan » March 11th, 2024, 9:14 pm

After putting a lot of trial and error into these Penrose tiles, I'm happy with how they fit together, and I'm ready to make them public. I hope it will interest someone here, but I'm putting it in Sandbox since it's not CA-related. Here's the link: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6528364

You can also go straight to Tinkercad where I actually edited the design:
https://www.tinkercad.com/things/0doCu3 ... red-jigsaw

I'd like to hear from anyone who has a 3D printer and tries to print them. It's about 5 minutes a tile when I do it and each uses about 1g of plastic (that's ballpark and depends on whether it's a kite or a dart). Here are my tilings shown above and below:
20240308_194517.jpg
20240308_194517.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 210 times
20240308_194532.jpg
20240308_194532.jpg (904.53 KiB) Viewed 210 times
As I wrote there:
These are Penrose kite and dart tiles that fit together like jigsaw pieces. Unlike jigsaw pieces, the holes are covered above, so after fitting them together, one side looks like a pure polygon tiling. It takes a little practice to rotate the pieces into place, but once connected, they hold very well and the tiling is liftable. I recommended printing kites and darts in different colors and have separated them into two files for that reason.

The concept is pretty simple, but it took some trial and error to get the spacing right so the pieces snap easily and hold together. Your results may vary by printer and material.

The photos show a set done on a Flashforge Adventurer 3 pro using black and white PLA.

This object was made in Tinkercad starting with layers made in Inkscape and imported as SVG. Edit it online