Board And Card Games

A forum where anything goes. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. This is the forum for "non-academic" content.
Moosey

Re: Board And Card Games

Post by Moosey » December 14th, 2020, 12:49 pm

The game ends when the number of valid moves available for a player is less than the number of timelines, in which case that player loses.
this is technically inaccurate, it would be more accurate to say
The game ends when a player cannot make a valid move in all current ends of timelines in the present. If that player is in check, they lose.
not active here but active on discord

Schiaparelliorbust

Post by Schiaparelliorbust » December 14th, 2020, 12:52 pm

Moosey wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 12:49 pm
The game ends when the number of valid moves available for a player is less than the number of timelines, in which case that player loses.
The game ends when a player cannot make a valid move in all current ends of timelines in the present. If that player is in check, they lose.
That's what Wikipedia said.
Edit: Wait actually aren't they the same thing?
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere

MathAndCode

Post by MathAndCode » December 15th, 2020, 6:35 pm

Schiaparelliorbust wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 11:42 am
I think that blubber and fat tissue should be the same, unless you can think of a reason they should be different. Fat tissue should now protect you against the cold.
Fit tissue can also help cushion important organs from physical blows, so that should also be an advantage. Also, maybe fatter animals should be predominantly preyed upon.
I am tentatively considering myself back.

Schiaparelliorbust

Post by Schiaparelliorbust » December 16th, 2020, 3:07 am

MathAndCode wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 6:35 pm
Fit tissue can also help cushion important organs from physical blows, so that should also be an advantage. Also, maybe fatter animals should be predominantly preyed upon.
So you want there to be wounded animals? And they can be attacked from different places? Sorry if I'm misinterpreting what you're saying. It is certainly is an interesting idea, but I would like these "animals" to be different from real-life ones, at least by the fundamental properties that they have. You can't assume all "animals" would have their brain in their head or a conventional heart (though they would probably have some sort of analogue, both molluscs and arthropods have independently from chordates (vertebrates) evolved something that fills a heart's function). It is hard for animals to fundamentally change properties that they have, which is why most organisms share some properties from a common ancestor. We could have some fundamental organ analogues in these animals like a brain, heart, intestines/stomach, and a liver/kidneys. Lungs could probably exist in some other non-organ way. Maybe different lung types could even be an adaptation. Also, I think that body size should matter only when the creature(s) you're attacking or defending against are equal to or bigger than you. Your body size does not matter for the bigger animal. Is that good or too simplistic? Fatter animals could yield more food than animals of the same size without fat tissue, though would defend against you better because they're slightly bigger.
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere

Moosey

Post by Moosey » December 16th, 2020, 10:05 am

December 14th, 2020, 12:52 pm
Moosey wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 12:49 pm
That's what Wikipedia said.
Edit: Wait actually aren't they the same thing?
No, the two are very distinct
The first would imply that the player does not actually make those moves, and second implies that the conditions apply outside the present
not active here but active on discord

MathAndCode

Post by MathAndCode » December 16th, 2020, 12:22 pm

December 16th, 2020, 3:07 am
So you want there to be wounded animals? And they can be attacked from different places? Sorry if I'm misinterpreting what you're saying.
Predators hunt for food, so they would hunt fat animals because they would provide more food per kill.

Schiaparelliorbust

Post by Schiaparelliorbust » December 16th, 2020, 12:32 pm

MathAndCode wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 12:22 pm
Predators hunt for food, so they would hunt fat animals because they would provide more food per kill.
Well if you were going to fight, say, a bear, would you fight a well fed one or a hungry one (assuming hunger doesn't make it angrier or anything)? You even said that fat tissue would protect your organs. Fatter prey should be harder to kill, but you should get a better reward. I think that the prey should be harder for everyone to kill, but should be worth it for those who can.
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere

MathAndCode

Post by MathAndCode » December 16th, 2020, 12:36 pm

December 16th, 2020, 12:32 pm
Well if you were going to fight, say, a bear, would you fight a well fed one or a hungry one (assuming hunger doesn't make it angrier or anything)? You even said that fat tissue would protect your organs. Fatter prey should be harder to kill, but you should get a better reward. I think that the prey should be harder for everyone to kill, but should be worth it for those who can.
I agree that you have a point about balancing the two.
Also, remember that fat animals can't run away as quickly.

Schiaparelliorbust

Post by Schiaparelliorbust » December 16th, 2020, 12:49 pm

MathAndCode wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 12:36 pm
I agree that you have a point about balancing the two.
Also, remember that fat animals can't run away as quickly.
Yes. Well not just fat animals but larger animals in general. Do you have any other ideas/suggestions?
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere

MathAndCode

Post by MathAndCode » December 16th, 2020, 2:10 pm

December 16th, 2020, 12:49 pm
Yes. Well not just fat animals but larger animals in general. Do you have any other ideas/suggestions?
Do you remember my suggestion earlier about being able to change the mutation rate?

Schiaparelliorbust

Post by Schiaparelliorbust » December 16th, 2020, 2:19 pm

MathAndCode wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 2:10 pm
Do you remember my suggestion earlier about being able to change the mutation rate?
December 8th, 2020, 3:06 pm
MathAndCode wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 1:54 pm
Also, maybe the players should be allowed to change the mutation rate. Higher mutation rates make evolution more frequent but also increase the possibility of detrimental mutations.
Well, When I was first thinking about this game, I was thinking about variation within a species, but I decided that it would be too hard. Do you have any ideas for making it work? I assume when we're talking about mutations, the member with a mutation would be slightly different than the others.
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere

MathAndCode

Post by MathAndCode » December 16th, 2020, 2:28 pm

December 16th, 2020, 2:19 pm
December 8th, 2020, 3:06 pm
MathAndCode wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 1:54 pm
Also, maybe the players should be allowed to change the mutation rate. Higher mutation rates make evolution more frequent but also increase the possibility of detrimental mutations.
Well, When I was first thinking about this game, I was thinking about variation within a species, but I decided that it would be too hard. Do you have any ideas for making it work? I assume when we're talking about mutations, the member with a mutation would be slightly different than the others.
Good. I was thinking that we allow deterimental mutations to happen spontaneously (Otherwise, there would be no disadvantage to a very high mutation rate.), then we should also allow beneficial (at least in the mind of the player) mutations to happen spontaneously. Alternatively, no bad mutations would happen spontaneously, but whenever the player chooses a mutation, there should be a certain chance that another mutation will happen at random, and that chance will increase with the mutation rate.

Schiaparelliorbust

Post by Schiaparelliorbust » December 16th, 2020, 2:32 pm

MathAndCode wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 2:28 pm
Good. I was thinking that we allow deterimental mutations to happen spontaneously (Otherwise, there would be no disadvantage to a very high mutation rate.), then we should also allow beneficial (at least in the mind of the player) mutations to happen spontaneously. Alternatively, no bad mutations would happen spontaneously, but whenever the player chooses a mutation, there should be a certain chance that another mutation will happen at random, and that chance will increase with the mutation rate.
Do you want mutations to happen to only a single member or all members of a species at once?
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere

MathAndCode

Post by MathAndCode » December 16th, 2020, 2:39 pm

December 16th, 2020, 2:32 pm
Do you want mutations to happen to only a single member or all members of a species at once?
Mutations happening to a single member would probably be better in case the mutation turns out to be deleterious. It would also introduce an additional factor of luck.

Schiaparelliorbust

Post by Schiaparelliorbust » December 16th, 2020, 2:44 pm

MathAndCode wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 2:39 pm
Mutations happening to a single member would probably be better in case the mutation turns out to be deleterious. It would also introduce an additional factor of luck.
Can mutations stack? If they can, then you could have members of the same "species" with very different properties. Also, do you want adaptations to be mutations too? What would happen if a member with a mutation has offspring with a member without a mutation? I think we should just leave whether the mutation gets passed on or not up to chance.
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere

MathAndCode

Post by MathAndCode » December 16th, 2020, 2:49 pm

December 16th, 2020, 2:44 pm
Can mutations stack? If they can, then you could have members of the same "species" with very different properties.
Mutations should be able to stack, but players will only get to add mutations every so often, so there is a fair chance that each mutation will have either spread through the entire population or faded from existence by the time that the next mutation occurs.
December 16th, 2020, 2:44 pm
What would happen if a member with a mutation has offspring with a member without a mutation? I think we should just leave whether the mutation gets passed on or not up to chance.
Yes, I agree. Maybe we'll tweak that slightly if too many mutations end up disappearing right away just by random chance.

Schiaparelliorbust

Post by Schiaparelliorbust » December 16th, 2020, 2:57 pm

MathAndCode wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 2:49 pm
Yes, I agree. Maybe we'll tweak that slightly if too many mutations end up disappearing right away just by random chance.
I feel that if players are able to control their species reproduction, then they can easily prevent members with detrimental mutations from reproducing. I think that reproduction should be left to chance. Natural selection will already probably kill members of a species with a harmful trait (mutation or otherwise). Thank you for talking on this thread by the way.
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere

MathAndCode

Post by MathAndCode » December 16th, 2020, 2:58 pm

December 16th, 2020, 2:57 pm
I feel that if players are able to control their species reproduction, then they can easily prevent members with detrimental mutations from reproducing.
I didn't mean anything that extreme. I was thinking of having the individual that receives the mutation always pass it down to its first child.

Schiaparelliorbust

Post by Schiaparelliorbust » December 16th, 2020, 3:04 pm

MathAndCode wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 2:58 pm
I didn't mean anything that extreme. I was thinking of having the individual that receives the mutation always pass it down to its first child.
Something like that should work. Maybe partial reproductional control too? You can choose who you want to reproduce, but not with 100% certainty.
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere

MathAndCode

Post by MathAndCode » December 16th, 2020, 3:08 pm

December 16th, 2020, 3:04 pm
Something like that should work. Maybe partial reproductional control too? You can choose who you want to reproduce, but not with 100% certainty.
I like the idea of random mating better. Giving the players too much control over reproduction will likely become a distraction that they waste time on.

Schiaparelliorbust

Post by Schiaparelliorbust » December 16th, 2020, 3:13 pm

MathAndCode wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 3:08 pm
I like the idea of random mating better. Giving the players too much control over reproduction will likely become a distraction that they waste time on.
Yeah, you're probably right. Let's not forget that this is a game meant for people having fun. It shouldn't be cluttered with minor details and similar things.
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » December 17th, 2020, 3:08 am

Ideas for my game?
Have a good day!

BokaBB
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » December 23rd, 2020, 6:43 am

Schaparelio, you don't have to invent new games to post them here. You can post existing ones.
I wish to introduce you to the game Таблић or Tablanet. It is a card game and one of my favourites. There is a Wikipedia article about it, altrough I know Wikipedia explains games very,very poorly and with lots of birocratic speech,so ask me if you don't understand something.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Have a good day!

BokaBB

Schiaparelliorbust

Post by Schiaparelliorbust » December 23rd, 2020, 6:46 am

BokaBB wrote:
December 23rd, 2020, 6:43 am
Schaparelio, you don't have to invent new games to post them here. You can post existing ones.
I wish to introduce you to the game Таблић or Tablanet. It is a card game and one of my favourites. There is a Wikipedia article about it, altrough I know Wikipedia explains games very,very poorly and with lots of birocratic speech,so ask me if you don't understand something.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Then where should I look at the rules? I can talk about your game(s) some if you'd like, though please specify which aspect of it/them you'd like to improve on.
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » December 23rd, 2020, 6:50 am

December 23rd, 2020, 6:46 am
BokaBB wrote:
December 23rd, 2020, 6:43 am
Have a good day!

BokaBB
Then where should I look at the rules? I can talk about your game(s) some if you'd like, though please specify which aspect of it/them you'd like to improve on.
Its rules can be found at Wikipedia, altrough I almost never learned any game just from Wikipedia and it uses birocratic speech,so ask me if you can't understand something.
Tribes needs more details and more fun and strategy, altrough I don't know in what form exactly.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Have a good day!

BokaBB