Anyone know of highschool camps?

A forum where anything goes. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. This is the forum for "non-academic" content.
Moosey

Anyone know of highschool camps?

Post by Moosey » January 23rd, 2020, 9:23 pm

So, as a highschool student, I am curious whether anyone knows about any CA-related summer camps for high-schoolers. I have recently looked at the Wolfram Camp but I was unfortunately rejected.

So, does anyone know of any summer camps for high-schoolers where CA would be a highly relevant topic?
not active here but active on discord

pcallahan

Re: Anyone know of highschool camps?

Post by pcallahan » January 24th, 2020, 12:17 am

Moosey wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 9:23 pm
So, as a highschool student, I am curious whether anyone knows about any CA-related summer camps for high-schoolers. I have recently looked at the Wolfram Camp but I was unfortunately rejected.

So, does anyone know of any summer camps for high-schoolers where CA would be a highly relevant topic?
I didn't even know Wolfram had one, though it makes sense. When I used to look for tech camps for my kids (who are decidedly not as into it as I am), the focus was always on languages like Java or app and game design. CA is a fairly esoteric subject and it might be hard to persuade parents to shell out the fees.

I'd also be very interested in hearing about something like this. If not, maybe we need to invent one. I think there are a lot of topics that some members of this website could present as summer projects.

Hunting

Post by Hunting » January 24th, 2020, 12:39 am

Moosey wrote:
but I was unfortunately rejected.
Why was you rejected? Was it because you are excessively magical?
pcallahan wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 12:17 am
If not, maybe we need to invent one. I think there are a lot of topics that some members of this website could present as summer projects.

I agree with this idea.

Moosey

Post by Moosey » January 24th, 2020, 7:50 am

Hunting wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 12:39 am
Moosey wrote:
but I was unfortunately rejected.
Why was you rejected? Was it because you are excessively magical?
They don't tell-- it was probably because I couldn't do well on a phone interview.
not active here but active on discord

pcallahan

Post by pcallahan » January 24th, 2020, 12:50 pm

Moosey wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 7:50 am
They don't tell-- it was probably because I couldn't do well on a phone interview.
There are probably a lot of applicants and a very low acceptance rate, not that you need me to tell you this. Don't sweat it, anyhow.

It sounds more general than cellular automata https://education.wolfram.com/summer/camp/ though a project like "enumerating polycubes" is unusual and more mathematical than the usual tech camp project. I would definitely like to see a lot more summer camps like this.

pcallahan

Post by pcallahan » January 24th, 2020, 1:06 pm

In fact, an idea that started to gel in my head about 6 years ago might be described as "extra nerdy maker camp." It would involve 3D printing like other maker camps and perhaps other automated manufacturing tools like CNC cutters, but would focus on making objects to represent mathematics (polyhedra, group symmetries, Penrose tiles, and of course Wang tiles). I am not sure if this would catch on.