Thread for your ridiculously absurd questions

A forum where anything goes. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. This is the forum for "non-academic" content.
Moosey

Thread for your ridiculously absurd questions

Post by Moosey » September 14th, 2019, 8:37 pm

Ask hypothetical questions here!

To start, would a weapon involving cheese be feasible?
Would it be possible, for instance, to make a mortar launching scalding-hot globs of cheese? Presumably the outside would harden immediately, but perhaps the inside would remain scalding hot. If so, what kind of cheese would be the most dangerous/effective? And would the contraption kill queen Maeve?
Last edited by Moosey on September 15th, 2019, 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
not active here but active on discord

testitemqlstudop

Re: Thread for your ridiculously absurd questions

Post by testitemqlstudop » September 14th, 2019, 9:58 pm

Reminds me of what if xkcd.

What would happen, theoretically, if you "inverted" a strong gravitational wave's time direction, i.e. if instead of one object emanating GWs, GWs were focused on one object (coming in from all directions from that object's point of view)

What must the magnitude of the GWs be to obliterate a planet?

On a related note, how many Death Stars are needed to output enough energy to create an antimatter copy of Alderaan?

Moosey

Post by Moosey » September 15th, 2019, 6:51 am

testitemqlstudop wrote:On a related note, how many Death Stars are needed to output enough energy to create an antimatter copy of Alderaan?
That depends on the mass of Alderaan and the energy output of the Death Star.
testitemqlstudop wrote:Reminds me of what if xkcd.
Yes, I was considering submitting the cheese question.

testitemqlstudop

Post by testitemqlstudop » September 15th, 2019, 11:28 pm

Moosey wrote:
testitemqlstudop wrote:On a related note, how many Death Stars are needed to output enough energy to create an antimatter copy of Alderaan?
That depends on the mass of Alderaan and the energy output of the Death Star.
A good lower bound is calculated by gravitational binding energy.

gbe of earth = 2e32 joules

One gram of antimatter releases 1.493e+24 joules on contact with matter, and hence requires ~3e+24 per gram

Mass of earth = 5.972e27 g
5.972e+27 * 3e+24 / 2e+32 = 8.958e+19 death stars

9 * 10^19 = 90 quintillion death stars

gameoflifemaniac

Post by gameoflifemaniac » September 20th, 2019, 1:42 pm

Can you f**** a creeper?
I was so socially awkward in the past and it will haunt me for the rest of my life.

Code: Select all

b4o25bo$o29bo$b3o3b3o2bob2o2bob2o2bo3bobo$4bobo3bob2o2bob2o2bobo3bobo$
4bobo3bobo5bo5bo3bobo$o3bobo3bobo5bo6b4o$b3o3b3o2bo5bo9bobo$24b4o!

Moosey

Post by Moosey » September 20th, 2019, 3:18 pm

gameoflifemaniac wrote:Can you f**** a creeper?
Can you ask an actual hypothetical question like testitem's or mine, instead of what I believe is making reference to internet memes?

testitemqlstudop

Post by testitemqlstudop » September 20th, 2019, 9:51 pm

hmm what verb has FIVE letters and starts with an f and is not written by someone stupid
Moosey wrote: Can you ask an actual hypothetical question like testitem's or mine, instead of what I believe is making reference to internet memes?
(bool)(124 * (6 / 3 - 2)) = (bool)0 = false

Here's a question more ridiculous than all previous ones.
What is the fastest growing well-defined googological function definable in under 1 KB?

fluffykitty

Post by fluffykitty » September 20th, 2019, 9:55 pm

testitemqlstudop

Post by testitemqlstudop » September 20th, 2019, 10:39 pm

testitemqlstudop wrote:well-defined

fluffykitty

Post by fluffykitty » September 20th, 2019, 10:58 pm

Still works. Consider "x->(the fastest growing well-defined googological function definable in under 1 KB)(x)+1". If it's well defined then it's illdefined, and if it's illdefined then your question is illdefined as well.

PkmnQ

Post by PkmnQ » September 20th, 2019, 11:37 pm

testitemqlstudop wrote:
hmm what verb has FIVE letters and starts with an f and is not written by someone stupid
Can you flank a creeper?

testitemqlstudop

Post by testitemqlstudop » September 20th, 2019, 11:45 pm

fluffykitty wrote:Still works. Consider "x->(the fastest growing well-defined googological function definable in under 1 KB)(x)+1". If it's well defined then it's illdefined, and if it's illdefined then your question is illdefined as well.
The assumption is that my question is well defined, and if function illdefined implies question illdefined, then function illdefined implies false, so function illdefined = false, so then that function isn't well defined under my question either.

fluffykitty

Post by fluffykitty » September 21st, 2019, 12:53 am

testitemqlstudop wrote: [...] function illdefined = false, so then that function isn't well defined under my question either.
I think you missed a negative somewhere.

testitemqlstudop

Post by testitemqlstudop » September 21st, 2019, 2:02 am

Firstly,

function well-defined => function ill-defined
function ill-defined => question ill-defined
question is not ill-defined

Hence,

function ill-defined => false

or

function is not ill-defined

so

function well-defined => false

or

function is not well-defined

Since P and (NOT P) is inherently impossible the function can't be well-defined and ill-defined at the same time, so it is not a function under the scope of this question.

Moosey

Post by Moosey » September 21st, 2019, 6:23 am

Testitem, I wrote a piece of mooseudocode here:

Code: Select all

call oracle #call is like import in python
call runMoosedocodeString as run
call numbertostring #(a hypothetical code which could be written out
#but I don't want to right now since 1) I don't
#have it and 2) it would be long.
#basically, it just converts a number to a string. e.g. 1-> a, 2 -> b,
#(something around 30 or 40) -> aa, etc.
newvar x
newvar i
newvar y
newset A
x=0
i=0
protect i #new syntax! protect -> don't change value during runMoosedocodeString.
protect A
deprotect x #(makes sure x will never be protected)
while i < 500^(this.length) #500 can be any value as long as it's greater than the
#number of characters mooseudocode uses.
->y = numbertostring(i) #we assign y to that string...
->if oracle(y) = 1,
-> ->newent A
-> ->setent i of A x #this shot in the dark is okay since we're going over every string.
#Even if some fast-growing thing assigning stuff to a z
#appears we'll still get one assigning stuff to x.
-> ->x=0
x=0
i=0
while i <= A.length
->if ent i of A > x
-> ->x=ent i of A
Which is an example of something like Berry's paradox-- it sets x to the largest value produced by (effectively) all 1-character longer codes, and has 1010 characters (unless you count the things that it calls, but those could be integrated into a modified mooseudocode so it really doesn't matter), which is 1010 bytes, which is < a kibibyte which is different from a kilobyte but is probably what you wanted-- and it has a ton of comments to explain what it's doing, too! (Technically I had to get rid of the very first one but that doesn't matter)

Therefore, the answer to your question is undefined.
Last edited by Moosey on September 21st, 2019, 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

testitemqlstudop

Post by testitemqlstudop » September 21st, 2019, 6:37 am

Did you not read my response.

Moosey

Post by Moosey » September 21st, 2019, 6:38 am

testitemqlstudop wrote:Did you not read my response?
Which one, the long one?
Show that my setup is disallowed.
And show why it's disallowed.

I think I'll count to the smallest number that cannot be defined in fifty or fewer words while I'm waiting.

testitemqlstudop

Post by testitemqlstudop » September 21st, 2019, 8:01 am

Because my question is under the presumption is well defined, so any function (well-defined or ill-defined) that causes my question to be ill defined is not a function under the scope of my question.

Moosey

Post by Moosey » September 21st, 2019, 8:17 am

testitemqlstudop wrote:Because my question is under the presumption is well defined, so any function (well-defined or ill-defined) that causes my question to be ill defined is not a function under the scope of my question.
Oh, we're playing the arbitrary exclusions game! Very well, what if I define my number in a way that makes the welldefinedness of your question illdefined--i.e. it cannot make your function illdefined or welldefined.

testitemqlstudop

Post by testitemqlstudop » September 21st, 2019, 8:48 am

Moosey wrote:
testitemqlstudop wrote:Because my question is under the presumption is well defined, so any function (well-defined or ill-defined) that causes my question to be ill defined is not a function under the scope of my question.
Oh, we're playing the arbitrary exclusions game! Very well, what if I define my number in a way that makes the welldefinedness of your question illdefined--i.e. it cannot make your function illdefined or welldefined.
What I mean is that any function's welldefinedness is illdefined when its welldefinedness will contradict the welldefinedness of the question.

Moosey

Post by Moosey » September 21st, 2019, 8:52 am

testitemqlstudop wrote:
Moosey wrote:
What I mean is that any function's welldefinedness is illdefined when its welldefinedness will contradict the welldefinedness of the question.
But what if the contradictiveness (I'm looking for a word, dictionary, meaning how contradictory something is) isn't well defined?
I can keep doing this all day until you decide that your question is illdefined or has no solution.
Are you getting confused? Honestly, I'm getting a little confused with all this tongue-twisting:
:etorw testitemqlstudopodutslqmetitset wrote:...any function's welldefinedness is illdefined when its welldefinedness will contradict the welldefinedness...

testitemqlstudop

Post by testitemqlstudop » September 21st, 2019, 9:07 am

Any function's (INSERT PROPERTY HERE) is illdefined when its (INSERT PROPERTY HERE) will contradict the welldefinedness of the question.

... How is the statement "p AND (NOT p) is contradictory" contradictory? Since "p AND (NOT p)" is contradictory then the statement is inherently well defined and true. Furthermore "This statement is contradictory" is well defined and false, and "This statement is not contradictory" is well defined and true.

We have now magically made a boolean statement evaluate from two states (true, false) into four states (true, false, contradictory, ill-defined). How much further can we go?

testitemqlstudop

Post by testitemqlstudop » September 21st, 2019, 9:09 am

Moosey wrote:
testitemqlstudop wrote:u can't nest so many quotes

But what if the contradictiveness (I'm looking for a word, dictionary, meaning how contradictory something is) isn't well defined?
I can keep doing this all day until you decide that your question is illdefined or has no solution.
Are you getting confused? Honestly, I'm getting a little confused with all this tongue-twisting:
:etorw testitemqlstudopodutslqmetitset wrote:...any function's welldefinedness is illdefined when its welldefinedness will contradict the welldefinedness...
Contradictiveness is true or false. Give me a statement whose contradictiveness is ill-defined.

Moosey

Post by Moosey » September 21st, 2019, 9:19 am

testitemqlstudop wrote:Any function's (INSERT PROPERTY HERE) is illdefined when its (INSERT PROPERTY HERE) will contradict the welldefinedness of the question.
Good job! Now we're at fix #w! We still have a lot to go before we get to some more notable ordinals!
What if the property's contradiction of the welldefinedness of the question ay exist and may not? (w+1, though I swear this is the same thing as 1 in which case you didn't even fix all the stuff I threw at you)

Or, what if welldefinednesslayer_w is illdefined and thus we can not determine whether any lower layers would contradict the welldefinedness of the question?
dopstuqlitemtest wrote: ... How is the statement "p AND (NOT p) is contradictory" contradictory? Since "p AND (NOT p)" is contradictory then the statement is inherently well defined and true. Furthermore "This statement is contradictory" is well defined and false, and "This statement is not contradictory" is well defined and true.

We have now magically made a boolean statement evaluate from two states (true, false) into four states (true, false, contradictory, ill-defined). How much further can we go?
I'd say we need to have well-defined in there somewhere in your list of four.

Moosey

Post by Moosey » September 21st, 2019, 9:25 am

testitemqlstudop wrote:
Contradictiveness is true or false. Give me a statement whose contradictiveness is ill-defined.
You can have multiple statements that have illdefined contradictive behavior together, of the general format:
1) paradoxical statement
2) statement which is contradictive iff 1 is true

Or something which is contradictive iff it is not:
1) statement which is true iff the group of statements is contradictive
2) statement which is contradictive iff 1 is false

Honestly, aren't contradictiveness and paradoxicality flavors of illdefinedness?